5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drop in subwoofer for alpine...

JasonB

Reaction score
Is there a subwoofer that can just replace the factory alpine sub without adding an amp or rewiring ?

Im replacing all the stock speakers with Kicker and my OCD is telling me to replace the sub

Tones1975

Reaction score
Is there a subwoofer that can just replace the factory alpine sub without adding an amp or rewiring ?

Im replacing all the stock speakers with Kicker and my OCD is telling me to replace the sub
I'd like to know if this is possible as well; I really don't want to put a box under the back seat. I'm assuming there has to be something out there that would work.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'd like to know if this is possible as well; I really don't want to put a box under the back seat. I'm assuming there has to be something out there that would work.
Short answer is NO.
Long answer the Alpine sub is a triple voice coil, each coil is 2 ohms and each coil is powered on a separate channel from the factory amplifier. In theory you could use a low volume 10 inch dual coil 2 ohm sub and use 2 of the three factory channels but you also loose 1/3 of the power currently going to the factory sub. Unless some manufacture decides to build a direct replacement sub for the Alpine there really isn't any option. Also you cannot combine all three channels from the amplifier into a single channel to try and power a single coil or series or paralleled dual coil sub, there will be the likely potential for the channels to back feed into the other amp circuits and smoke your factory amp.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Short answer is NO.
Long answer the Alpine sub is a triple voice coil, each coil is 2 ohms and each coil is powered on a separate channel from the factory amplifier. In theory you could use a low volume 10 inch dual coil 2 ohm sub and use 2 of the three factory channels but you also loose 1/3 of the power currently going to the factory sub. Unless some manufacture decides to build a direct replacement sub for the Alpine there really isn't any option. Also you cannot combine all three channels from the amplifier into a single channel to try and power a single coil or series or paralleled dual coil sub, there will be the likely potential for the channels to back feed into the other amp circuits and smoke your factory amp.

Do you know if the HK sub is also a triple voice coil? What about swapping with something like this with dual 2-ohm voice coils?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you know if the HK sub is also a triple voice coil? What about swapping with something like this with dual 2-ohm voice coils?

HK is a single coil. You could use that infinity 8" but would have to modify the 10 inch enclosure to be able to mount the 8 inch sub in the factory enclosure.

For the Alpine system you could use 2 of three channels to power a dual coil sub but would only get 2/3 of the power normally going to the factory sub.

JasonB

Reaction score
At 2/3 the power what would be the likely hood that a aftermarket sub sounds better?

Was the sub i was looking at and just making a spacer for it ;)

Last edited:

Ryncody

Reaction score
Yea, I wanted to do the same. Bought the punch shallow mount 2 ohm DVC . Only to learn it's triple voice coil open. I decided to wait. Does anyone know the alpine Amps wattage to the sub? Could we get 3 6" subs under seat n push it? Maybe like the dd 6" shallow subs

Ryncody

Reaction score
Also, I have the kicker key amps from my 2019 w the base radio . Is it possible to pull the feed from the stock subwoofer outputs and run into my high input on my amp, kicker claims it will work after stock amps up to 400 watts I have the key 200.4 which has a dsp. And the 500.1 which says it flattens the inputs .

Decuchi23

Reaction score
Short answer is NO.
I read somewhere that one of the channels is just the ANC signal. No idea how that works without interfering with the music coils though, so no idea if that's true. I would definitely like to know the power output if anyone knows.

Rlandon

Reaction score
The Memphis Audio M7 series subs are triple voice coil. I've been thinking of buying one and power it from the stock Alpine amp If they were not $400 for the 10" I would have bought it yesterday. Still holding out that Mopar/Kicker will have a replacement but it's now three years later for the 5th gen's and still nothing.

If a PAC CH01 is used on the ANC would this negate the third coil on the sub? Still learning all the issues with the ANC. It's not like my 4th gen and dropping in the Mopar/Kicker sub.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i took my out.you can buy the underseat kind.it has and amp built in them.and they can fit behind the seat.some work.but if you want to get the sound and space you want...

Attachments

• 100_1850.JPG
    100_1850.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_1852.JPG
    100_1852.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 132

REBELmtnbiker

Reaction score
I think the only way is to get this

and then get a powered sub in a box

is the easiest and hassle free way.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i used that also...

Attachments

• 100_1741.JPG
    100_1741.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 100_1746.JPG
    100_1746.JPG
    345.6 KB · Views: 69

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
Do you have to pull the dash and stereo to install these? Which packed sub did you guys go with?

2019 Ram 1500 ORP “long bed” - setting #5 bilsteins, 2”mopar ucas, hellwig sway bar, tonneau cover, bed mat, 20” Laramie sport wheels on 285/60r20 falkens. Flowmaster outlaw.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have to pull the dash and stereo to install these? Which packed sub did you guys go with?

2019 Ram 1500 ORP “long bed” - setting #5 bilsteins, 2”mopar ucas, hellwig sway bar, tonneau cover, bed mat, 20” Laramie sport wheels on 285/60r20 falkens. Flowmaster outlaw.
yes you will have to pull out the dash to get behind it to plug in those "Jacks"not diffucult 👍

Users who are viewing this thread