5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driving Impressions: Ford, GMC, and Ram

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As a follow-up to our discussion on another thread, I offered to share our impressions on the best of today's light-duty trucks. My wife and I drove the following trucks back-to-back:
  • 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn, 4x4, crew cab, short box, 5.7L Hemi V8, 8-speed, 3.21 axle, air suspension, Level 1, Advanced Safety, etc.;
  • 2018 Ford F-150 Limited, 4x4, crew cab, short box, 3.5L EcoBoost TTV6, 10-speed, 3.55 axle (electronic locking), Trailer Tow package, etc.;
  • 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali, 4x4, crew cab, short box, 6.2L EcoTec3 V8, 8-speed, 3.23 axle (mechanical locking), MagneRide suspension, Ultimate Package, etc.;
  • 2019 Ram 1500 Limited, 4x4, crew cab, short box, 5.7L Hemi V8, 8-speed, 3.92 axle (anti-spin), air suspension, Advanced Safety, etc.
I'll break down our review into a few main categories: Exterior, Interior, and Driving Experience.

Exterior
  • The first time I saw a 2019 Ram, it was at the Dallas Auto Show. I will admit that the exterior didn't immediately give me a strong positive or negative impression. What struck me was the new design direction for the Ram (e.g. the loss of the crossbars, etc.). The outgoing truck was almost iconic in design. That said, the front half of the new truck has a mature, understated toughness about it. I gravitated towards the higher-end trims with the adaptive LED headlights, and I very much like the grille on the Laramie Longhorn. The rear half feels a little plain, but the overall proportions are good. Having seen several Rams on the dealer lot, my initial impressions have been confirmed, and we definitely prefer the higher-end trims (and in the darker colors). Note: We ended up ordering a Laramie Longhorn in Delmonico Red.
  • I was not a fan of the current generation of the Ford F-150 until the 2018 refresh. The changes to the grille design (i.e. extending the grille into the headlights) made all the difference. I feel that this was executed most successfully on the F-150 Limited. I'm not completely sold on the unique 22" wheels on the Limited, and my wife doesn't love the chrome tailgate badging, but these are sharp trucks overall. The exterior proportions—particularly the round wheel arches and fender flares—are classic Ford touches and feel like they will age well.
  • I have traditionally been a fan of heavy-duty Chevrolet and GMC trucks, and I felt like their 1/2-ton designs peaked in the '90s and early '00s. That said, I do think the current (2018) GMC Sierra has a chiseled look that is attractive. I'm not sure that the forthcoming 2019 model is more attractive, although it is undoubtedly more aggressive. I like the current Sierra 1500's headlight package, fender flares, color schemes, and wheel selections.
The bottom line: All three brands offer good-looking trucks, and we could have configured any of these to our liking. We'll call this a tie.

Interior
  • The 2019 Ram 1500 in either the Laramie Longhorn or Limited trim takes interior luxury for a truck to an entirely new level. I'd have to jump into a Mercedes to experience similar quality of materials, from the metal and wood (not plastic) accents to the leather-covered (not vinyl or plastic) surfaces throughout. Additionally, as many reviews have stated, the volume of storage and rear legroom is extraordinary. The seats are very comfortable. The layout is intuitive. The number of USB ports and 110V outlets is awesome. The 12" touchscreen is beautiful (even if the icons are cartoonish). The panoramic sunroof is what you'd expect to find in a luxury SUV. Quite simply, the Ram cabin is a nice place to be.
  • After driving a Laramie Longhorn in our favorite color scheme (black/new saddle), the 2018 F-150 Limited was a bit of a letdown. Until very recently, you could have confidently stated that the Limited offers one of the nicest interiors on the road. And it may still be. The quality feels like it's there, and seat comfort was pretty good. It offers the same beautiful panoramic sunroof. But I think it's starting to show some age. The new Ram interior is so good that it makes you feel special, whereas the Ford feels just a bit...plain. The small details just aren't there. And while the Sync 3 infotainment system is very good, the screen resolution and color definition feel like they could use an upgrade. Unfortunately, these are not the impressions I want to have in a top-of-the-line pickup.
  • Moving on to the 2018 GMC Sierra Denali, we found the Denali interior refreshing. While it's been out for a few years and is perhaps not as innovative as the Ram, the Denali feels like a luxury truck. It has a very intuitive layout, the seats are comfortable, and it just 'fits well'. The infotainment system that originated with Cadillac CUE still looks great. I think we were surprised that we liked the cocoa/dune interior as much as we did. It's a comfortable truck to spend time in.
The bottom line: It won't surprise anyone on this forum to read that the 2019 Ram offers the best interior in a truck...ever. It's a clear winner in this category. That said, GMC (2nd place) offers a surprisingly well-thought-out cabin design with a quality feel, even if it doesn't offer the massive sunroof of the competition. The Ford interior is conservative but very well-equipped.

Driving Experience
  • The first Ram we drove (Laramie Longhorn with 3.21 rear axle and air suspension) rode like...well, like it was on an air suspension. What would you expect? Between the comfortable interior seats, the air suspension, and the strong frame, this truck has a smooth, controlled ride. On the downside, I felt that the steering ratio was a little slow for my taste, and the low rear end ratio left the truck feeling a bit soft off the line. Once we had the truck moving and got the Hemi revving, the power (and pleasing noises) came through. The (huge) front brakes have great bite. All in all, the truck offered a great ride, confident handling, and 'enough' power.
  • The F-150 Limited is only offered with the 3.5L EcoBoost twin-turbo V6. This engine offers the most torque in a 1/2-ton truck, and it showed. I was very impressed with the smooth torque curve throughout the low- to mid-RPM bands. Were it not for the unique sound, you'd absolutely believe you were driving a strong V8. That said, the ride let us down here. I've read very positive reviews of the F-150 in this regard, but we found ourselves bouncing along over some uneven roads that the Ram had eaten up without breaking a sweat. I'm sure the 22" wheels on the Limited didn't do us any favors. But we just weren't that impressed. Steering and braking had a good feel. Overall, this felt like a solid truck with a great motor.
  • Once again, the GMC surprised us here. I was expecting good things from the 6.2L V8, and I wasn't disappointed; that engine is awesome. It makes all the right noises and is simply raring to go. I can see where I'd get into trouble driving one of those every day. Additionally, the magnetic ride control ("MagneRide") does a fantastic job of soaking up imperfections in the road. Unlike the Ram, which sort of floats across the bumps, you still feel the road in the GMC, with the suspension taking away the harshness and leaving you feel very composed. Steering and braking were more than satisfactory. In short, the Denali was the most fun truck to drive...period. It was so good, in fact, that my wife insisted we test drive another Ram immediately afterwards.
  • So we did! We found another Ram dealership a few minutes away and test-drove a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. As soon as we hit the road, I noticed that this one felt a lot stronger off the line than the Laramie Longhorn we had driven previously. I turned to the salesman and asked him to check the window sticker for the 3.92 rear axle, which he confirmed. I immediately added this to my mental checklist of "must order" options. Aside from that, we decided that the air suspension is really best-in-class.
The bottom line: GMC offers a very compelling product in the current-generation Sierra Denali with the 6.2L V8. It's fun to drive, powerful, and handles well. But the Ram is a close second, offering excellent ride quality and braking. Between the higher axle ratio and eTorque, I'm thinking I will capture the fun of the GMC in a 'smarter' overall package. The traditional suspension of the Ford didn't win us over, but we were impressed with the EcoBoost motor.

Summary

3rd Place: The 2018 Ford F-150 Limited is a good-looking truck, as the changes made for this model year really bring the design together. It offers a host of technologies, especially for a truck that has been out for a few years. The 3.5L EcoBoost engine offers smooth and plentiful power. But the cabin feels a bit 'plain', even on luxury models, and the ride quality is average. We wanted it to win us over, but it did not.

2nd Place: To be honest, I wasn't even going to drive a GMC. I thought this competition would come down to Ram vs. Ford. Boy, was I wrong. Between its brawny 6.2L V8 and magnetic ride control, the 2018 GMC Sierra Denali was the most fun to drive of the whole bunch! The interior was nice, too. Not 2019 Ram nice, but still very good for a pickup truck.

1st Place: The 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn offers the best all-around package for us. It features an attractive understated exterior, an interior that is simply unmatched, technology that matches or exceeds anything offered by the competition, an excellent ride, and good power. And to maximize power to the wheels, we ordered ours with a 5.7L Hemi eTorque and the 3.92 rear axle. We can't wait!

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for writing your impressions, that was a good read that I'm sure everyone will appreciate. I noticed the same thing about the F150 ride as well, I recently wrote an article for my other site https://moparinsiders.com/introducing-the-mopar-insiders-long-term-test-truck/ talking about purchasing my truck and how the F150 seemed to pogo stick over harsh roads. I have heard that aftermarket shocks fix that but it shouldn't do that in the first place.

As for the GMC, I agree that the 6.2 is a nice motor but thats all I'll really give them there, I do not like their product at all otherwise, of course everyone does have their own opinion.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great review! Thanks for posting. I agree with the Ford F-150 bouncing all over the place on any kind of uneven road.

I almost wish I got the 3.92 axle now, but its too late for me.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great review! Thanks for posting. I agree with the Ford F-150 bouncing all over the place on any kind of uneven road.

I almost wish I got the 3.92 axle now, but its too late for me.

A lot of F150 owners are swapping out the rear shocks - I did the shortly after buying my 2016. No issues with the ride after that - but it is no comparison to the RAM.

I share your sediment about the 3.92s....but I think I'll enjoy the extra MPG the 3.21s provide.

Thanks for your comparison feedback! I drove a few '18 F150s and essentially no change from my 2016.

ryelinek

Reaction score
I have a buddy that recently got a fully loaded 2018 Sierra with everything you can get. Honestly to me the inside is such a huge let down. It’s just so plain and everything just seems like cheap plastic everywhere. When I got in it I was honestly saying to myself this is a 60k+ truck?!? It’s a huge let down for the price you pay and honestly the new 2019 Chevy and GMC just seem so bland compared to the RAM. I like the exterior look on some of their trucks but to me the total package is a let down and honestly the inside is most important. For the money you spend on a high end trim I want my luxury feel and experience.

Predfan

Reaction score
I m in the same boat you were I'm not 100% sold on the ram yet mostly for the drive train. I'm looking to purchase in 1-2 years and fuel economy will be a big factor and 2 years time should allow the competition to catch up interior wise. Ram seems stagnant with there engines while you see chev and Ford coming up with new unique ideas on that front like the new 2.7 4 banger they're making standard. I really wanna see the numbers on that engine and towing

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly to me the inside is such a huge let down. It’s just so plain and everything just seems like cheap plastic everywhere. When I got in it I was honestly saying to myself this is a 60k+ truck?!? It’s a huge let down for the price you pay and honestly the new 2019 Chevy and GMC just seem so bland compared to the RAM.

My thoughts exactly on the GM interiors. A friend had a 2016 Silverado High Country which is the top trim Silverado and even compared to my Sport the interior didn't compare at all, nevermind a Longhorn or a Limited. The 2019 GM interior looks like it's even gone backwards from that.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I m in the same boat you were I'm not 100% sold on the ram yet mostly for the drive train. I'm looking to purchase in 1-2 years and fuel economy will be a big factor and 2 years time should allow the competition to catch up interior wise. Ram seems stagnant with there engines while you see chev and Ford coming up with new unique ideas on that front like the new 2.7 4 banger they're making standard. I really wanna see the numbers on that engine and towing
With all of the 'newness' of the 2019 Ram, including eTorque, I guess I'm hoping the carryover engine will translate to better reliability. That said, the 12-year-old in me might be disappointed if they offer a monster V8 in a non-Rebel Ram in the next year or two. And while I'm sure some will downplay it, that new GM 2.7L sounds like it puts up some big numbers...clearly an EcoBoost fighter.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly on the GM interiors. A friend had a 2016 Silverado High Country which is the top trim Silverado and even compared to my Sport the interior didn't compare at all, nevermind a Longhorn or a Limited. The 2019 GM interior looks like it's even gone backwards from that.
I didn't even think it was worth mentioning that I also drove a High Country. As much as the Chevy and GMC are similar, I thought the Denali package was put together just a bit better. And neither of them are on par with the new Ram.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't even think it was worth mentioning that I also drove a High Country. As much as the Chevy and GMC are similar, I thought the Denali package was put together just a bit better. And neither of them are on par with the new Ram.

Since the Denali trim was born it has always been my pick of any of the GM trims for sure.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a buddy that recently got a fully loaded 2018 Sierra with everything you can get...I was honestly saying to myself this is a 60k+ truck?!?
On the flip side, GM and Ford are offering huge incentives down here. I wasn't even ready to negotiate with the GMC dealer, and they quoted me $12K off of a loaded 2018 Sierra Denali. Ford was almost the same way, offering me $10K off of a loaded 2018 F-150 Limited right off the bat. For a budget-conscious buyer, it's hard not to notice these deals (top-trim trucks for mid-$50Ks).

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the flip side, GM and Ford are offering huge incentives down here. I wasn't even ready to negotiate with the GMC dealer, and they quoted me $12K off of a loaded 2018 Sierra Denali. Ford was almost the same way, offering me $10K off of a loaded 2018 F-150 Limited right off the bat. For a budget-conscious buyer, it's hard not to notice these deals (top-trim trucks for mid-$50Ks).

Ford has also been handing out $3,000 Price Cash Offers like candy at least near me, which are used in conjunction with rebates.

What's it say that I still ordered a Ram?

ryelinek

Reaction score

You might be right in that but their top trims don’t even compare on the inside to the top two trims on the RAM. Then sadly their 2019 models don’t do much to improve on the interior at all.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Then sadly their 2019 models don’t do much to improve on the interior at all.
I was surprised by that decision. The 2019 exterior changes are dramatic and aggressive, especially for the GMC, and I guess I expected the interior to evolve in a similar fashion. It looks nearly identical to the 2018 model.

Predfan

Reaction score
I think gm and chev will be left behind for a 3 4 years. But I have a feeling ford won't wanna be second strong for long and might pull something out in 2. The problem I have with dodge is they take forever to update there trucks and they can be behind in a couple years with both luxury and driveability. When it comes time for me to buy I really wanna see something with great mileage and package as a whole. Gas is nearing 1.50 a liter out here I'm guessing by winter. 6 bucks a gallon is ridiculous for a 19 mpg vehicle

alanstahl

Reaction score
Great review, candid and helpful. Same impressions. Ordered 2019 RAM 1500 Limited, fully loaded, window $68,065, Ram Boxes, Etorque 5/2. In D position as of now. Drove 2018 Ford 150 Limited 3.5 same impressions. RAM has set a new standard. Have not driven in Danali but broinlaw has 2018 SUV and loves it. The 2019 RAM 1500 Limited will be my 3rd RAm 1500. Still by far best ride in comfort, quiet and technology.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Great review, candid and helpful. Same impressions. Ordered 2019 RAM 1500 Limited, fully loaded, window $68,065, Ram Boxes, Etorque 5/2. In D position as of now. Drove 2018 Ford 150 Limited 3.5 same impressions. RAM has set a new standard. Have not driven in Danali but broinlaw has 2018 SUV and loves it. The 2019 RAM 1500 Limited will be my 3rd RAm 1500. Still by far best ride in comfort, quiet and technology.
I think the Denali trim looks great in the Yukons, and the 6.2L is great in anything. But I'm surprised you're sitting in D, as I placed my order on 5/25 and am in D1. My order is similar to your Limited, but it's a Laramie Longhorn, so it cost me a bit more to load it up (MSRP in the mid-$69Ks). Maybe dealer allocation plays a role in build order?

alanstahl

Reaction score
I have not checked on update, figure it is what it is. I suspect it may be D1 by now but dealer notify's me on the 1st and 15th.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
Ford has also been handing out $3,000 Price Cash Offers like candy at least near me, which are used in conjunction with rebates.

What's it say that I still ordered a Ram?

Same here, what GM is doing with the 18 high trims pricing is a punch in the gut with me and other owners.
I had to work hard for a fair price on a 16 LTZ Z71 that they are suddenly advertising at 11, 000 off with even more incentives. The 6.2 is a great engine, but it ends there for me. I will move forward with a Ram

Users who are viewing this thread