5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drive-shaft fell down

Brian7

Reaction score
I was wondering what the forum members think about the following issue. My 2020 RAM 1500 Limited, with only 9,500 miles, made a loud noise at a traffic light and when I looked underneath, the drive shaft was hanging down. I had to drive a few hundred yards to get out of traffic and to be in an appropriate place for the flatbed. It is at a RAM dealer being repaired currently and I am told that they will replace the bracket that holds the drive shaft (missing) and that this was likely a factory defect.
This is my second time being at the dealer for something under the truck. At 1,300 miles I noticed some cables hanging down and when I got under the truck to check, the heat shield was also coming down. Without relaying a long story of back and forth, the service manager said I must have hit something (I did not) and I ended up splitting the cost with them of the repair.
I am wondering if the truck was damaged during transport to the dealer and I received it that way. I am also concerned about the long-term issues with either the rear differential, the transmission, or both from a drive shaft that was vibrating and then being driven for a few hundred yards. I own the truck and am further concerned that the resale value is compromised due to this issue.
Input from members to help me think through the next steps would e appreciated. I have included a picture of the driveshaft hanging with the truck on the flatbed.
Thanks,
Brian

P.S. I called RAM for both issues and they opened a case. They just give lip service to these issues and are very unhelpful. They wouldn't even pay for a car rental. They told me I would have to pay out of pocket and submit for reimbursement and I was not guaranteed payment.

Attachments

• IMG_6578.jpg
    IMG_6578.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 112

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That’s the first I’ve heard of either issue . That’s BS that they wouldn’t cover the heat shield for you . I don’t think there would be any long term damage to either the diff or transmission .

Brian7

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the response. I was just concerned that the driveshaft spinning without the bracket would have caused some metal stress. It is such a strange thing to happen, I didn't know what to think.

Thanks,
-B

Brian7

Reaction score
I thought I would just follow up. The dealer told me that the screws that hold the driveshaft bracket in place were completely missing. They are guessing that this was due to a factory defect. They replaced the whole bracket, screws, and driveshaft. So far, the truck is driving fine. I hope this was just a bump in the road (pun intended:))
-B

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Crazy stuff. Just be glad you weren't running at highway speeds. Glad they got you squared away.

Runagun

Reaction score
Geez, glad they have it fixed. I also hope they double checked everything nothing else was missing. Don't want no axles flying off.

StringNH

Reaction score
Very lucky it didn't happen at highway speed.

I have a 2012, 2500 with 325k miles on it. Back in November I was cruising down the highway at about 75mph when the front drive shaft failed. In that model of truck, the front shaft is live all the time, there is no front axel disconnect. That resulted in the drive shaft whipping around under the truck like a rotary sledgehammer. The transfer case shattered, it smashed a hole in the side of the transmission smashed and cut the fuel lines, transmission lines and shifter cable. It it was a yard sale of sparks, parts, diesel fuel and transmission fluid scattered all over the high speed lane. If it was a gas powered truck, the sparks probably would have ignited the fuel being sprayed everywhere.

All things considered, I was lucky, could have been much worse, nobody got hurt.

It was a 350 mile tow home, about $10k and 4 months of time getting it fixed due to parts availability from covid. But it's back on the road and running great.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad you got a new driveshaft. It might have been ok, but not worth taking the chance.

U

User_72751

I'm amazed that you didn't notice any clunk noise or feeling while taking off. I mean the bolts didn't all of a sudden loosen and fall out.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm amazed that you didn't notice any clunk noise or feeling while taking off. I mean the bolts didn't all of a sudden loosen and fall out.
My truck is a symphony of clunks that have been investigated and are now ignored after 15K. I could see missing one that was about to become a mechanical failure

Users who are viewing this thread