5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door mark from dealer/and service complaint with advice needed

JRadford43

Reaction score
It's been never ending with this truck and it's really unfortunate because It's the first new truck I have ever bought. A slight story here and some advice needed if someone could throw in some input.

I dropped my truck off at the dealer for some issues that I had such as shaking, door alignment, bumper alignment. This was the first time to this dealer as the previous dealer I went to didn't go so well and their service was severely lacking. So I found an FCA customer satisfaction award winning dealer to take my truck in hopes that the issues would be resolved. When I arrived to the dealer on a Friday the dealer said it would be around Wednesday when they got to it. No big deal, they are a good dealer and people want to come to them I presume. They didn't mention giving me a loaner until I asked, but they obliged which I was grateful for.

When the Wednesday came around I called up to the dealer just to get an update and He took a minute to remember anything about me, said give me a minute and the phone went silent for probably two minutes. At that point he said well there are 19 cars ahead of you so it might be a bit before we get to you. Once again no big deal, I understand that ya'll are busy. And I trusted that things would get fixed.

After that I call each week for the next two weeks and I can't get through to my service adviser even after leaving messages to him and to the front desk reps. After over three weeks total of not having my truck and having no clue where it stands I call again on a Friday and he actually answers. He tells me about how the shaking got fixed but they were afraid to mess with door alignment as it could cause other alignment issues. At this point I'm just ready to get my truck and I was happy with the resolution on the shaking being resolved. I walk up to my truck, do a quick walk around just to ensure nothing stuck out as far as dealer damage and went home. This of course is on a Friday.

On Sunday I start doing a detail cleaning on my truck as I do every week, as I did before I took it to the dealer just to ensure I was aware of imperfections as I always look out for. But when cleaning it I catch the light just right and I notice a horizontal line in the rear door, not a scratch, but like a line that is the slightest indented. Prob 5-6 inches across the back door. You can't see it unless you catch the light right which is why I didn't see it right away. It's not crazy, like I'm sure someone wouldn't see it when checking out my truck. But this is my truck and I look for every imperfection, I don't park near people, and since leaving the dealer I haven't been around with my truck other than to my own mom's house and In my garage where I park my truck. But it looks like someone dinged my truck with an object in their hand. or something hit across my door.

I now don't trust this dealer for not answering my call for two weeks, it taking me to call them to find out my truck is ready. And when cleaning my truck noticing a line across the back door which I'm for certain didn't happen in the one day I had the truck back and for sure didn't happen before I took it to the dealer. I mean did he not want to talk to me because he was aware of the ding? Am I thinking too much into this, do I have a claim to call this service manager and file a complaint, or at this point am I out of luck and getting through to them is a lost cause? Looking for advice here. Of course in hindsight I wish I would have detailed the truck even closer but can't take that back now.

geotex1

Reaction score
No paint loss, then don't fret it. Will be easy fixed with PDR. Go to the dealer and discuss it with the Service Manager. I also have to ask are you sure the sheet metal is deformed? I can tell you that sometimes the lay down with the automated applicators can leave an optical illusion of panel deformation because of a thick or thin spot. A give away is if the defect is directly vertical or directly horizontal. We will rule out high pressure jet or slinging cloth carwash damage - it happens, more than you might think - because you suggest you might be particular like me.

JRadford43

Reaction score
No paint loss, then don't fret it. Will be easy fixed with PDR. Go to the dealer and discuss it with the Service Manager. I also have to ask are you sure the sheet metal is deformed? I can tell you that sometimes the lay down with the automated applicators can leave an optical illusion of panel deformation because of a thick or thin spot. A give away is if the defect is directly vertical or directly horizontal. We will rule out high pressure jet or slinging cloth carwash damage - it happens, more than you might think - because you suggest you might be particular like me.

Thanks for the quick reply. It's not directly horizontal, its almost got a rainbow shape** to it. Also you bring up an automatic car wash. When cleaning the door jams I noticed a little bit of a blue dye in the upper doors on the paint and at the top of the door. I never use the automatic car wash but does that mean they maybe took mine through one?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree with Geo on this. Pdr should make it disappear if it truly is a dent or cease.

As far as the rest. Its frustrating. Sometimes dealers are busy. Some service Advisors blow. You see that across brands. You have to make the best of the dealer experience. Be pleasant but be firm. Most often the squeaky oil gets the wheel. Hopefully the initial issues settle down and you can enjoy your truck.

JRadford43

Reaction score
I agree with Geo on this. Pdr should make it disappear if it truly is a dent or cease.

As far as the rest. Its frustrating. Sometimes dealers are busy. Some service Advisors blow. You see that across brands. You have to make the best of the dealer experience. Be pleasant but be firm. Most often the squeaky oil gets the wheel. Hopefully the initial issues settle down and you can enjoy your truck.

Its def a type of crease, not a full on dent. And now that it's coming together I really do believe they took it through a car wash and those spinning microfiber machines slapped the side of the rear door to most likely cause that mark. When I got the truck back it was dusty and had a bug or two on the front so I assumed other than testing it and sitting in the lot it got dirty like I thought it would. But now that geotex1 brought up a car wash and I had the blue water spots I really think they took it through a car wash. If someone can help verify that if possible, I can only assume that's what those spots are.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Its def a type of crease, not a full on dent. And now that it's coming together I really do believe they took it through a car wash and those spinning microfiber machines slapped the side of the rear door to most likely cause that mark. When I got the truck back it was dusty and had a bug or two on the front so I assumed other than testing it and sitting in the lot it got dirty like I thought it would. But now that geotex1 brought up a car wash and I had the blue water spots I really think they took it through a car wash. If someone can help verify that if possible, I can only assume that's what those spots are.

Another thing you can do is bring it back to them and instead of accusing them, which will almost certainly cause them to become very defensive (and unhelpful), just approach it like a warranty issue and a defect. Explain that you just noticed it doing your first detail. It's brand new. Never been washed. Never been parked anywhere outside your driveway......other than their parking lot so it must be "defective". I'm guessing FCA will cover the repair.

j517

Reaction score
Look man go raise hell speak to the gm. I dont know what dealership it was but with my case I took it to Huntington beach ram .... in so cal. The stupid mofos sold me a demo unit as new so I had them try to fix all the crud that was fed up stupid sales mgr asad set me up with a porter got me a rental and kicked me out the door a week later I go back pick up truck and then find out some ahole took my truck on a joy ride about 150 miles on it. WTF so I raised hell they reversed the sale and gave me a new truck then they damage it during prep sued them and then they bought it back now I'm going to take them to court again form fraud

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

j517

Reaction score
PM me if u need help

First pic demo truck
Second damaged truck
Third fraud truck

Avs does not fit 2019 rams
a9bed1a06c4aa6ea9986fd8c71cace26.jpg
58c95fa351455084a63726036733dbde.jpg
2e32e9a9c0b01a843b63259b84cea36d.jpg

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Rototerrier

Reaction score
... And don't freak out. PDR is super cheap. If you just don't want to deal with the dealer, pay for it yourself and move on. Not worth the worry and stressing over. Not saying it's right, just proposing a less stressful route.

Plenty of PDR folks will come right to your residence and knock it right out.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another thing you can do is bring it back to them and instead of accusing them, which will almost certainly cause them to become very defensive (and unhelpful), just approach it like a warranty issue and a defect. Explain that you just noticed it doing your first detail. It's brand new. Never been washed. Never been parked anywhere outside your driveway......other than their parking lot so it must be "defective". I'm guessing FCA will cover the repair.
I agree with Patsy. Going in hot on the first or second attempt is off-putting. A reputable and concerned service manager will work with you if you approach them more passively.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021097 miles.

JRadford43

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's been a busy day so I haven't addressed the crease in the rear door or dealt with the dealer so I'll have an idea of my final move within the next day. I do agree with the going in hot will not create a great outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/