5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does your Remote Tailgate Release fully open your tailgate?

Stringd

Reaction score
I just picked up my 2019 Laramie with the multi-function tailgate. I didn't think to check it at the dealer, but now that I've been using the truck I noticed that when I use the remote tailgate release, it only unlocks and props open the tailgate an inch or so, I still have to give it a little pull with my hand to have it drop open. I swear I saw a promo video before showing the tailgate open all the way, but maybe that doesn't apply to the MFT?

Is this normal or is the power release supposed to have the tailgate drop open all the way? Anyone else having this issue with the MFT?

Thank you!

Bearman95

Reaction score
On my 2020 Laramie sport, the tailgate let’s all the way down With remote release whether it’s on the remote itself or the remote inside the truck

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Mine just pops it a bit. Might be the tonneau cover holding it...dunno. I've only used the remote open a couple times to show people. I can't think of why I'd ever use it in real life.

Bearman95

Reaction score
Mine just pops it a bit. Might be the tonneau cover holding it...dunno. I've only used the remote open a couple times to show people. I can't think of why I'd ever use it in real life.
I have a backflip cover on mine, No problems with the release of tailgate, But I wish mine did not have the remote. I’m always afraid it will accidentally get pressed and the tailgate will open in my garage, Thus denting the truck and the garage

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a backflip cover on mine, No problems with the release of tailgate, But I wish mine did not have the remote. I’m always afraid it will accidentally get pressed and the tailgate will open in my garage, Thus denting the truck and the garage

I wonder if they built in safety on this one that checks the rear sensors first before opening?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Mine opens all the way with factory tri-fold tonneau cover.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine opens all the way and is a nice feature when coming out of Home Depot or Lowes combined with the entry exit height.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After hearing of someone who had tailgate damage due to it accidentally opening in the garage, I put a strip of foam on the inside of my garage door so that if it does ever happen, no damage will occur.

xspeedy

Reaction score
I wonder if they built in safety on this one that checks the rear sensors first before opening?

i can also confirm as I have tested. This should be easy enough for FCA to program a check of the rear parking sensors. I back my truck into my garage and I attached a piece of foam to the wall in the event the gate accidentally opens. Not sure what to do about the office parking garage other than nose first into spots.

jfcody3962

Reaction score
The tailgate on my 2020 does not open fully either when unlocked/opened. I've looked into the issue a bit, and it seems it is hanging up on the striker studs/bolts. Has anyone tried some light weight grease on the strikers?

scope1

Reaction score
A little superlube fixed mine right up. Even with my Retrax cover it opens smoothly.

derp

Reaction score
2019 laramie standard tailgate and a RollNlock cover. still opens with button only, gently due to a damper on the drop.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
brand new '21 Rebel with MFT no tonneau cover. Key fob tailgate release props it open maybe 2-3 inches and then gets hung up. curious to see where the binding is. Will investigate when we get some dry weather.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
brand new '21 Rebel with MFT no tonneau cover. Key fob tailgate release props it open maybe 2-3 inches and then gets hung up. curious to see where the binding is. Will investigate when we get some dry weather.
No issues with my 2021. My 2019 operated just fine as well. Click the remote and it pops right open. Your tonneau cover may be binding it up a bit as it should fall right down nice and smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread