5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the radio really need to be replaced ?

country4life

Reaction score
Hi apparently the radio in my truck needs to be replaced as my heated seats don’t work on the medium setting only high and low work dealership says it’s the radio? I don’t see why the radio would need replaced it should be a sensor or something what a headache truck only has 10,000 miles on it

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I dont buy it, but I'm not working on it.

Limited Legend

Reaction score
That's sucks, is it under warranty? I had my gps go out in my 2015 300c. They said it was the sharkfin first, but it turned out to be the radio. They gave me a good faith replacement for $100 as I was out of warranty.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi apparently the radio in my truck needs to be replaced as my heated seats don’t work on the medium setting only high and low work dealership says it’s the radio? I don’t see why the radio would need replaced it should be a sensor or something what a headache truck only has 10,000 miles on it
You have the let the dealer do the steps when it comes to warranty repairs. What harm is it letting them replace your radio? Less intrusive and easier than replacing your seats.

country4life

Reaction score
You have the let the dealer do the steps when it comes to warranty repairs. What harm is it letting them replace your radio? Less intrusive and easier than replacing your seats.
Yea it’s covered under warranty but my time isn’t free

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yea it’s covered under warranty but my time isn’t free
Considering the radio electronics are what sends the signal to turn the heated seats on/off it would be a good place to start.

country4life

Reaction score
Considering the radio electronics are what sends the signal to turn the heated seats on/off it would be a good place to start.
They still work on high and low I don’t understand why the radio is causing medium setting to not work you would think the heated seats wouldn’t work at all if it’s the radio

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They still work on high and low I don’t understand why the radio is causing medium setting to not work you would think the heated seats wouldn’t work at all if it’s the radio
Here is some reading. This explains the system. Replacing the radio makes no sense to me.

Attachments

• Service Library(3).PDF
    237.3 KB · Views: 20

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you read the description? It says the radio is what sends the signal.
Where does the radio send a signal to? What if the hard buttons on the center stack are pushed? I am assuming regardless of what switch(radio and ics) is pushed it only works on the two settings.

We are just guessing here, with no data or codes from vehicle we are just throwing ideas out.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where does the radio send a signal to? What if the hard buttons on the center stack are pushed? I am assuming regardless of what switch(radio and ics) is pushed it only works on the two settings.

We are just guessing here, with no data or codes from vehicle we are just throwing ideas out.
When either of the heated seat switches are pressed, a switch status message is sent to the ICS and radio over the CAN
Interior High Speed (IHS) data bus. The ICS and radio then sends a message via the IHS data bus to the CSWM, signaling
the module to energize the heating element for the selected seat.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When either of the heated seat switches are pressed, a switch status message is sent to the ICS and radio over the CAN
Interior High Speed (IHS) data bus. The ICS and radio then sends a message via the IHS data bus to the CSWM, signaling
the module to energize the heating element for the selected seat.
I read the exact same thing. Does the heated seats work correctly from the ICS switches and not correctly from the radio? I assumed the heated seats don't have medium setting regardless of what switch is used(I have admitted that).

The ICS and Radio both send switch data to the module, depending on what switch/input used.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I read the exact same thing. Does the heated seats work correctly from the ICS switches and not correctly from the radio? I assumed the heated seats don't have medium setting regardless of what switch is used(I have admitted that).

The ICS and Radio both send switch data to the module, depending on what switch/input used.
Yes, but the medium level signal may not be getting sent.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, but the medium level signal may not be getting sent.
After thinking about this, my thoughts are on an 8.4" radio. If it is a 12" radio it doesn't have the ICS heated seat switches. The radio is seeing an input from the switch, it may not be sending the correct message for the medium setting.

country4life

Reaction score
After thinking about this, my thoughts are on an 8.4" radio. If it is a 12" radio it doesn't have the ICS heated seat switches. The radio is seeing an input from the switch, it may not be sending the correct message for the medium setting.
It’s a 12” dealership confirms it’s the radio

country4life

Reaction score
Went to a different Dodge Ram dealership was told it was a module instead like I thought why would it be the radio

Users who are viewing this thread