5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does RAM need better software engineers?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just wanted to pose the question, since many of the physical issues with the 5th Gen are being solved and fixed (clunk, water, bad shifting and various rattles) all we are left with is the 8.4 and 12 software gremlins that everyone is discovering to be quite common.

So, clearly there is a stronger push to solve problems that involve the daily mechanical operation of the truck... but some of the electronic devices that all of us expect to work can be just as important to ones overall happiness with the vehicle.

My question is, who is in charge at RAM in regards to software quality and reliability? These are fixed, closed systems and there should be no room for coding errors since it involves the operation of a motor vehicle. Tesla comes out with constant updates to ensure customer safety and satisfaction. When a vehicle is so heavily dependent on the software, it should be bullit proof. No?

Game console manufacturers, TV manufacturers and so on... immediately update software for every day items. Isn't our truck worth an equal effort?

Yes it's a first world complaint, but quality is non negotiable, shame on the folks sitting around the office while your brand is emberrased by your lack luster efforts.

If I was the person in charge of RAM software, I'd clean house and resign. It's pathetic to think in 2018-19 we would be faced with long (months) waits to have simple issues that a 12 year old Russian hacker could fix in minutes.

This is what bothers me about American products some times... lack of pride and overall concern for the product. Proudly made in America? Prove it.

End rant.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had many Ford company cars and went through so many revisions of Sync on them that I think Ram is actually doing OK. That was a mess and got so bad they physically mailed owners USB sticks with an updated firmware on them.
Just another perspective.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do agree that you would think the updates would be faster and more frequent. Ford knows how much a bad infotainment system can affect overall owner satisfaction. Ask them about MyFord touch.

To be honest though fca and all companies use companies like QNX a division of blackberry for their software. The hardware is made by Panasonic. The previous Uconnect RA4 and ra 3 were Harmon and from What I understand 2020 will be back to Harmon.

I believe though that the software is produced for fca and when a revision is made they test at fca and then approve it to be pushed.

I would like to see more frequent updates, even Ford now is doing build updates. They are on 3.0 build 18093 . Started at 17576 or something like that. Fca has a lot of room for improvement for the 12” that’s for sure. I hope to see some soon. The update we got in July was nice and fixed a few things. Just hope to see some more soon.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didn't say it was
Touche!

All that being said, I'm just shocked that any manufacturer in this day and age isn't more on top of update issues with all of the systems in vehicles that are dependent upon them. Oh well... didn't expect such a subdued response from this crowd... I will hop off the soapbox and move on.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Touche!

All that being said, I'm just shocked that any manufacturer in this day and age isn't more on top of update issues with all of the systems in vehicles that are dependent upon them. Oh well... didn't expect such a subdued response from this crowd... I will hop off the soapbox and move on.
Hey, I agree bro. The sw should be debugged before production. I'm. OK with the occasional enhancements and bug fixes, but some of what I'm hearing is critical to the operation of the truck.... That's unacceptable!

With that said... I'm having no issues so I'll be quiet too

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find this thread interesting. I've made a career in the tech industry, so I also am puzzled by the lack of expertise on the software side. I haven't yet purchased my truck, but am getting as educated as I can beforehand.

I was looking into the UConnect app on the Android Play store...and the reviews are abysmal. How does a manufacturer putting out their own app have a product that is so poorly rated at 2.1 out of 5 stars?
This is a joke right? Performance improvements and bug fixes?!?!? It's slower and buggier than the last version. They should pay us as beta testers.

Just the optics of not keeping on top of the situation damages the brand.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The one thing that really gets me mad is the fact that the 12 inch screen trucks do not have all the features the 8.4 has in the connect or guardian app. You can't see the tire pressure and various information you can on the smaller screen trucks. You would had thought that would be something they make sure works since its a standard item on your high trim truck.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The one thing that really gets me mad is the fact that the 12 inch screen trucks do not have all the features the 8.4 has in the connect or guardian app. You can't see the tire pressure and various information you can on the smaller screen trucks. You would had thought that would be something they make sure works since its a standard item on your high trim truck.
That's pathetic. The newest and best is actually years behind Tesla and Volvo with 1999 software that isn't compatible across the board. If they outsource their software and hardware, why are they using Panasonic and Harmon for head units? Why aren't they investing in the best people and gear possible? They want to lead the industry in tech and comfort, but all they're doing is pissing off their customers and embarrassing themselves in the industry. If I worked for Chevy or Ford I would be taking notes as I laughed my *** off.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't fault going with Harman for infotainment technology. One thing I've learned with the infotainment system on my 2012 Hyundai Azera is that the South Koreans know how to build solid tech.

I think the biggest problem right now is the UConnect app. I'm not sure who is on point for developing a quality app that integrates with the vehicles' systems.

Last edited:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now that I have my truck, it isn't clear as to which app to use. There is the UConnect app from "FCA US LLC", and then for those of us with infotainment systems that leverage the Sirius XM Guardian services, the SiriusXM Guardian from "SiriusXM Connected Vehicle Services". I have both Mopar.Com and SiriusXM Guardian accounts. Both apps seem to work. *shrug*

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now that I have my truck, it isn't clear as to which app to use. There is the UConnect app from "FCA US LLC", and then for those of us with infotainment systems that leverage the Sirius XM Guardian services, the SiriusXM Guardian from "SiriusXM Connected Vehicle Services". I have both Mopar.Com and SiriusXM Guardian accounts. Both apps seem to work. *shrug*
In my opinion the Uconnect version is better. More members tend to complain about the Guardian app... both do the same functions, but a few members have stated the Guardian app doesn't offer as much vehicle info as the Uconnect app.

But to clarify again, they do the same thing and for all my investigating have found them to be identical. Now, depending on your vehicle, which one will work I cannot say. The Uconnect app is the only one that works with my Rebel and no one at Sirius or Uconnect could tell me why.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But to clarify again, they do the same thing and for all my investigating have found them to be identical. Now, depending on your vehicle, which one will work I cannot say. The Uconnect app is the only one that works with my Rebel and no one at Sirius or Uconnect could tell me why.
Yeah, clear as mud, right? :unsure:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just use the Uconnect Website. Under your login, which my mobile browser remembers, It has buttons for Lock/Unlock/Horn/Start/Cancel. Nothing to install and works ok.

Users who are viewing this thread