5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Gas count against capacity limit

DeanKing

Reaction score
I am one of those people who didn't understand capacity when I bought my truck. I got so many nifty options, my payload is down to 1240 and I am now trying to get every bit I can figuring out what I can get for a trailer. I would also ask that you don't respond saying "don't worry about it" which seems to be a common Internet and RV salesperson response. I will not exceed the engineering or legal limits of the vehicle.
I want to know if the capacity on my sticker includes or does not include a full tank of gas? On a tangent, if I had only known, I would not have gotten the eTorque, Pano Sunroof, or Skid Plates and this wouldn't even be an issue.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want to know if the capacity on my sticker includes or does not include a full tank of gas?.

i do not have documented proof, but i would answer yes the payload included a full tank of fuel.

some one posted a document, FCA Body Builder Instruction, BBG Template, showing Optional Equipment Weights.
maybe another member can post up the thread it was in.

SupremeWill

Reaction score
When the mfg gives those numbers it does not include a full tank of fuel... sorry i know its not the answer you want. You also have to figure in the weight of you, your passengers, any luggage, and everything else.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For your reading pleasure.

From this:

View attachment 13870

View attachment 13871

Here s good description from a website: https://www.bullringusa.com/determine-truck-payload-capacity/

Step 1: Determine Your Truck’s Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
GVWR is the total amount of weight of your truck can carry. This includes the weight of the vehicle itself, all the necessary fluids for operation (gasoline, diesel, oil and so on) as well as any cargo and passengers. Your vehicle\’s manufacturer calculates and is located in your owner’s manual or on the vehicle’s door frame. You can also look online to find your vehicle’s GVWR.

Step 2: Determine Your Truck’s Curb Weight
Curb weight is how much your truck weighs on its own without any passengers or cargo. This measurement includes a full tank of gas and any other fluids that are needed to keep your vehicle functioning properly.

There are a few ways to determine your truck’s curb weight. You can look at your owner’s manual or you could consult your vehicle’s manufacturer. Another option is to have your truck weighed. To do so, start by looking at your owner’s manual to determine the factory-specified fluid amounts required for your truck. Fill your vehicle in accordance with this information. Next, have your vehicle towed to an auto garage and have your truck weighed as is, without any added cargo or accessories. This will give you the curb weight of your vehicle.

Step 3: Calculate Your Truck’s Payload Capacity
Remember, payload capacity is the amount of stuff your truck can safely carry after you’ve filled the tank with gas. Payload capacity can be determined by an easy calculation. Simply subtract your truck’s curb weight from the GVWR to get the payload capacity. For example, say your truck’s GVWR is 7050 lbs and your truck’s curb weight is 4500 lbs. Its load capacity would be 2550 lbs. Whatever the payload capacity is, don’t exceed it. That’s the amount of weight your pickup truck can safely carry.

DeanKing

Reaction score
For your reading pleasure.

From this:

View attachment 13870

View attachment 13871
Thank you so much for this. It backs up the answer with published data from RAM. Full tank of full is already deducted when the payload number is published. What I also found interesting is that Payload is an estimate. So I just need to take it to a scale and do the math myself to figure out the real number. That's what the weigh station will do if I ever have to pull into one.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this. It backs up the answer with published data from RAM. Full tank of full is already deducted when the payload number is published. What I also found interesting is that Payload is an estimate. So I just need to take it to a scale and do the math myself to figure out the real number. That's what the weigh station will do if I ever have to pull into one.
Be sure to use a certified scale that gives front axle weight and rear axle weight separately. It will help as you get into the details of your planning.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am one of those people who didn't understand capacity when I bought my truck. I got so many nifty options, my payload is down to 1240 and I am now trying to get every bit I can figuring out what I can get for a trailer. I would also ask that you don't respond saying "don't worry about it" which seems to be a common Internet and RV salesperson response. I will not exceed the engineering or legal limits of the vehicle.
I want to know if the capacity on my sticker includes or does not include a full tank of gas? On a tangent, if I had only known, I would not have gotten the eTorque, Pano Sunroof, or Skid Plates and this wouldn't even be an issue.

And if you are near or just over your payload rating, you can always unbolt the skid plates, weigh them, and then add that to available payload. Removing the Pano sunroof is a bit unwieldy...

DeanKing

Reaction score
And if you are near or just over your payload rating, you can always unbolt the skid plates, weigh them, and then add that to available payload. Removing the Pano sunroof is a bit unwieldy...
I had actually thought about that. I got them because it seemed some cheap protection not understanding this payload mess. I am not taking this thing off road. It is too nice and the 22s just don't make it that kind of truck. This post https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/please-post-your-tire-and-loading-sticker.374/post-20147 suggests the off road group is 122 lbs. I have to believe most of that is the metal. I may just try and sell the plates.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also gain back some payload by removing the spare wheel/tire, which is about 70 lbs. I removed mine and run with a tire plug kit and an air compressor.

Those tools are good enough for touring cross country on a motorcycle, why not for a truck. As a bonus, plugging a tire is much easier than changing one.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that manufacturers used to remove things like bumpers, spare tires, and having very little fuel to boost their payload numbers. But I believe the new SAE testing procedures prohibit that from happening.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that manufacturers used to remove things like bumpers, spare tires, and having very little fuel to boost their payload numbers. But I believe the new SAE testing procedures prohibit that from happening.
That was Ford with their F450 when they originally got beat in the towing wars

DeanKing

Reaction score
As a follow up to my original post: I am now certain it includes full fluids. I took my truck to a scale with a full tank, me, and my 115 lbs of bed accessories. The sticker was actually conservative meaning it was padded a bit and I had a bit more capacity than it said. But it was still pretty close and not cheating.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So then the stuff I posted in many different threads wasn't something I dreamed Screenshot_20181113-174500_Drive.jpg
Note: this graph still shows base weight as a standard not specific.

The door jamb is specific, and as the few who weighed their trucks have shown...real close.

Note:the only way to be sure is to go to a scale with your whole rig and set it up as outlined in a few threads

Users who are viewing this thread