5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Carplay nav show up on the instrument cluster/heads up display?

PatrickLeedleLee

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Laramie on order, added the technology package, I would assume only the built in Nav shows up in the instrument cluster and heads up display, but thought it was worth asking if that was the case. :)

Thanks!

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my '21 directions do not show in the instrument cluster, but for the '22s and UConnect5, I'm not sure if they added that capability.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Laramie on order, added the technology package, I would assume only the built in Nav shows up in the instrument cluster and heads up display, but thought it was worth asking if that was the case. :)

Thanks!
CarPlay turn by turn directions do show up in the instrument cluster for 2022 Uconnect 5. There’s actually a software issue with it though, as the turn by turn directions stay in the cluster screen full time (instead of popping up only when coming up on the next turn). It’ll probably get fixed in an OTA update, that will end up breaking something else.
The native navigation turn by turn does function normally in the cluster.
I’m not sure about CarPlay turn by turn in the heads up display, but I’d imagine it would, since that’s communicated from the radio just like it does to the cluster, and the cluster is linked to the HUD module.

PatrickLeedleLee

Reaction score
CarPlay turn by turn directions do show up in the instrument cluster for 2022 Uconnect 5. There’s actually a software issue with it though, as the turn by turn directions stay in the cluster screen full time (instead of popping up only when coming up on the next turn). It’ll probably get fixed in an OTA update, that will end up breaking something else.
The native navigation turn by turn does function normally in the cluster.
I’m not sure about CarPlay turn by turn in the heads up display, but I’d imagine it would, since that’s communicated from the radio just like it does to the cluster, and the cluster is linked to the HUD module.
I actually didn't expect this to be true, but that would be fantastic if this is the case. I've been trying to do some Youtube searching to see if there's any examples and haven't found anything.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I actually didn't expect this to be true, but that would be fantastic if this is the case. I've been trying to do some Youtube searching to see if there's any examples and haven't found anything.
I have a 2022 Longhorn with the 12", running Android Auto and using Waze or Google Maps for navigation, turn instructions do not appear on the heads up or the DIC. The only time turn instructions appear on either is if I'm using the built-in TomTom navigation.

Now I'm wondering why Carplay would show this and Andriod Auto doesn't. There is no setting I've seen that would allow this feature to be enabled/disabled. I did have a recent over-the-air update so I should go try it again and see.

Humer91

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Longhorn with the 12", running Android Auto and using Waze or Google Maps for navigation, turn instructions do not appear on the heads up or the DIC. The only time turn instructions appear on either is if I'm using the built-in TomTom navigation.

Now I'm wondering why Carplay would show this and Andriod Auto doesn't. There is no setting I've seen that would allow this feature to be enabled/disabled. I did have a recent over-the-air update so I should go try it again and see.
Because Android Auto sucks. It doesn't even make full use of the giant 12inch screen, but Carplay does and it is beautiful. With AA, you get a tile of your AA map, if you want a full screen map you have to use the uconnect map which is ok, but not great. Using Carplay, i can have Waze, apple maps, or google maps on the entire screen, great when using waze to see and add road hazards/traffic

wsutard1

Reaction score

Thanks!
Yes

n8zcc

Reaction score
Because Android Auto sucks. It doesn't even make full use of the giant 12inch screen, but Carplay does and it is beautiful. With AA, you get a tile of your AA map, if you want a full screen map you have to use the uconnect map which is ok, but not great. Using Carplay, i can have Waze, apple maps, or google maps on the entire screen, great when using waze to see and add road hazards/traffic
Thanks for the answer. Looks like I'm screwed since my wife and I recently picked up new S21 Ultra phones.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
I read it on the Uconnect section on the forum that there is so much difference between Android Auto and Apple Carplay. It is weird and sad as happy Android phone user that there is so much difference/improvements between them. Especially cause Uconnect 5 is based on Android...

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I read it on the Uconnect section on the forum that there is so much difference between Android Auto and Apple Carplay. It is weird and sad as happy Android phone user that there is so much difference/improvements between them. Especially cause Uconnect 5 is based on Android...
If you can't beat us, join us. C'mon, you know you want to.

Resistance is futile.JPG

n8zcc

Reaction score
It is hard to know what the actual user experience is between car play and android auto since very few have the opportunity to use both. Add to this the constant stream of updates to both platforms, and the comparison in near-real time becomes more difficult.
I use android auto simply because I have an Android phone. My personal phones have always been Android phones and my work phones were always iPhones.
So I don't know how "much more difference" translates to an individual's everyday use, I guess it depends on what they do with the system and what an individual finds useful. I use Audio Audio primarily for Waze navigation and the lower part of the 12-inch for audio selections.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It would be nice to have the CarPlay show turn by turn in the main screen of the driver dash when the next turn is coming up. Anyone know how to do this?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It would be nice to have the CarPlay show turn by turn in the main screen of the driver dash when the next turn is coming up. Anyone know how to do this?
It does, but only for 2022 UC5. Otherwise, you can’t do it on pre-2022 rams.

nemecham

Reaction score
How did you get this to work? I have a 2021 limited and my Carplay/Waze will only show on half of the 12" screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/