5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone else accidentally turn the radio/AC up instead of putting truck in drive?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dial shifter is new to me. I don't make this mistake every time, but often enough to wonder if other people do the same.
Took me about a month to get used to the knob. But that's a running joke with most GM drivers... "The moment when you try to turn down your radio on the highway and accidentally but your truck in reverse instead" smh lol.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yup, a mixture of the AC temp and radio volume, which both happen to be circular knobs/dials in the somewhat near vicinity of the actual shift dial.

Usually when I'm on a surprised or near panicked state, like when having to do a quick back-up in the middle of an intersection because I couldn't quite pull off that U-turn.

Bcryan

Reaction score
I don’t spin it all the way sometimes being used to the stick shift before.. leave it parking and definitely changed the A/C once or twice

DaveR

Reaction score
The dial shifter is new to me. I don't make this mistake every time, but often enough to wonder if other people do the same.

Lol... only about twice a day!! Usually after a couple failed attempts to grab the nonexistent column shifter! I suppose I’ll get used to it someday....

Orion10182011

Reaction score
Wonder is there's a safety to keep someone from accidentally going to park while on the highway.

There was a joke when that shift knob came out. It was about Nickelback comes on the radio and all of a sudden you spun out in the median.

Wsmith

Reaction score
I love the dial shifter, it did take a couple of days to get used to, I kept trying to reach for the imaginary column shifter. I do turn down the temp often when I am trying to lower the radio volume and visa versa.

PicRR

Reaction score
Did with my ‘14, although not to the point of actually shifting. Got used to it. Thought it strange at first but really like the centre console room it gives us.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Wonder is there's a safety to keep someone from accidentally going to park while on the highway.

There was a joke when that shift knob came out. It was about Nickelback comes on the radio and all of a sudden you spun out in the median.
Not to derail, but I never got the hatred for Nickleback. I am an old man rocker, I kinda think they jam pretty good, even though there song topics are mostly juvenile, they rock.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not to derail, but I never got the hatred for Nickleback. I am an old man rocker, I kinda think they jam pretty good, even though there song topics are mostly juvenile, they rock.

Don’t mind them, but for a stretch it seemed like they were overplayed, and always something new out.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Been there done that. Also had "guest drivers" shift into park instead of drive while backing out of driveway.

Let's face it; purely from an engineering and design standpoint, this is a very poor implementation. It will not stop me from driving the truck, but they need to change it to something else.

And for all those guys who say "it's not a problem"; there are engineering masterclasses which feed on bad designs like this. Forget the details as it's been a while, but there was one very similar to this idea in an airplane where a pilot made the wrong choice with disastrous results.

Yes there is apparently a safety mechanism built in, but I've already learned the hard way that it's not near sensitive enough. As I said; guest driver was backing out of driveway and has a bad habit (years of driving stick shift and using clutch) of not stopping completely before switching gears. So coasting slowly in reverse, drop to neutral while still moving, then drop to drive. Problem is, while still coasting slightly in reverse, he dropped into park instead of neutral. #CLUNK#. I was horrified, less than 500 km on the dial and the drivetrain was already rocked to it's core.

He didn't confuse the dial for AC/radio, he was just confused which way it had to turn to switch gears.

Users who are viewing this thread