5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dobinsons 2" lift coils / heavier rate and bilstein 5160s

R.Duff

Reaction score
Finally got a weekend off and not on call so decided to get the rear done.

Put 5160s in and also Dobinson 2"lift coils with heavier load rating in, along with some core 4x4 end links.

overall wasn't bad at all, needed the spring compressors to just shrink them a little to get them in.

so far the rides smoother and more planted but only went to get beer up the road so haven't hit any bumps really. Still gotta chuck the 6112s in the front and let it all settle and see how she rides. But so far so good, something different than the Clayton's, don't think I'll get any clapping of coils with these Dobinsons as the tops few coils aren't so close together but we'll see.
20210906_145404.jpg 20210906_182756.jpg 20210906_175654.jpg IMG_20210906_184830_754.jpg IMG_20210906_184830_775.jpg

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you measure before and after ? Pretty close to 2” lift ? Ya got pn’s on coils and links ? Thx …. Putting a build list together, and would rather do spring, than spacers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.Duff

Reaction score
Did you measure before and after ? Pretty close to 2” lift ? Ya got pn’s on coils and links ? Thx …. Putting a build list together, and would rather do spring, than spacers

Yeah I did but I lost the paper 🤣, from what I remember the truck was at 40 or little under and now the rear is at 42.

There ya go, that's the north American distributor, there's two spring rates i went for the heavier load ones which I linked below. So far they are awesome. Definitely lift your truck higher or use spring compressors to get the buggers in 🤣

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Once you get the Bilsteins up front, let us know how this turns out. I’m pondering doing a lift one of these days, and the rear springs is one of the parts I’m trying to figure out.

I’ve got a retractable cover (about 80 lbs) and fridge slide (45 lbs) always on my truck. My glamping setup consists of a 70 lb rack, 160 lb tent, 60 lb fridge, and whatever other gear we drag along with us. So I’m carrying an extra 125 pounds all the time, and 450+ lbs in the bed bed with the full setup.

That suggests the heavier Dobinson rear springs, but I wonder how that compares, comfort wise, to stock ORG when I’ve got just the extra 125 lbs in the bed, which is by far the more common case.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any updates for us as far as what you think of the ride ?

R.Duff

Reaction score
Once you get the Bilsteins up front, let us know how this turns out. I’m pondering doing a lift one of these days, and the rear springs is one of the parts I’m trying to figure out.

I’ve got a retractable cover (about 80 lbs) and fridge slide (45 lbs) always on my truck. My glamping setup consists of a 70 lb rack, 160 lb tent, 60 lb fridge, and whatever other gear we drag along with us. So I’m carrying an extra 125 pounds all the time, and 450+ lbs in the bed bed with the full setup.

That suggests the heavier Dobinson rear springs, but I wonder how that compares, comfort wise, to stock ORG when I’ve got just the extra 125 lbs in the bed, which is by far the more common case.
Haven't loaded it up yet, I've got to move a 80 gallon hot water tank on the weekend so I'll see how it handles with the 300lb tank, tools and some lumber and let ya know how it handles loaded and how much if any it squats.

I'd say I have a little less than 150 lbs in the bed/ on bed all times with roll up cover, beaver tools murder sport, axe, pump and tool box and recovery gear.

But my truck didn't have the org springs, and it doesn't seem super stiff now. Feel more like a truck now though. Just gotta get rid of the 4 inches of rake 🤣

Any updates for us as far as what you think of the ride ?
Ride so far seems smoother over pot holes and ****ty roads we have here in Vancouver. Only really driven it last night looking at wedding venues but handled awesome on the highway and country roads, definitely felt better.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haven't loaded it up yet, I've got to move a 80 gallon hot water tank on the weekend so I'll see how it handles with the 300lb tank, tools and some lumber and let ya know how it handles loaded and how much if any it squats.

I'd say I have a little less than 150 lbs in the bed/ on bed all times with roll up cover, beaver tools murder sport, axe, pump and tool box and recovery gear.

But my truck didn't have the org springs, and it doesn't seem super stiff now. Feel more like a truck now though. Just gotta get rid of the 4 inches of rake

Ride so far seems smoother over pot holes and ****ty roads we have here in Vancouver. Only really driven it last night looking at wedding venues but handled awesome on the highway and country roads, definitely felt better.

Nice …. Thanks …. Definitely let us know how it rides and sits with that 300 lb tank back there

R.Duff

Reaction score
So how's she do with a load back there ?
Handled better than the stock springs with weight in the back, nice and smooth over speed bumps etc( not slowing down to much) to see how it was. The rear hardly went down at all, or not that I could notice with the tank, lumber and some tools. Also added the bilstein 5160s so they are definitely helping to.

So I guess the website notes on the springs are pretty accurate " This coil spring provides 2" of lift with up to 330-550lb Load"

I'm definitely super happy with how it rides and handles, and no clapping of compressed coils which is a plus.

R.Duff

Reaction score
Popped my 6112s in the other day while on a work zoom conference 😅, got a alignment today. Rides like a dream with the 6112s and 5160s and the Dobinsons coils. Couldn't be happier how it turn led out. Hopefully I can get a off the grid camping trip in before the snow hits my usual spot 20200926_162517.jpg 20200926_162606.jpg
20210925_085813.jpg 20210925_085759.jpg

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@ R Duff . . . So I'm just getting back to this thread since you got the front done . . . You did the 6112's at clip #8 (2.6") plus a 1/2" spacer for 3.1" of lift up front, and the Dobs in the rear for 2" of lift . . . Maybe it's just the angle, but it looks like you still have a fair amount of Rake ? Did you happen to do any before/after measurements ? Maybe you didn't get the full 3.1" in the front, or the Dobs lifted the rear more than 2" ? Thanks for any info

R.Duff

Reaction score
@ R Duff . . . So I'm just getting back to this thread since you got the front done . . . You did the 6112's at clip #8 (2.6") plus a 1/2" spacer for 3.1" of lift up front, and the Dobs in the rear for 2" of lift . . . Maybe it's just the angle, but it looks like you still have a fair amount of Rake ? Did you happen to do any before/after measurements ? Maybe you didn't get the full 3.1" in the front, or the Dobs lifted the rear more than 2" ? Thanks for any info
The truck was parked on a angled parking lot at the alignment shop so might look funky. But I still have around 2 inches of rake or a tad over.

Up front definitely got 3.1 inches, cause I had 4 inches of rake when I put the Dobinsons in and had the readylift spacers up front before putting the 6112s in the front.

Nah I always forget to do measurements, I just get in build mode and install it, then remember measurements 🤣

I think the Dobinsons gave me a tad over 2 inches of lift for sure . I've got 3 50lb sand bags in the bed now for weight on snowy roads and it didn't squat a bit, rides better though 😄

I can measure it up tonight and give you the numbers if that helps with anything.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Measurements would be great … Thank You

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got no experience with these springs, but for those looking at them, they are 10% off with code FALL10 until November 22.

R.Duff

Reaction score
Measurements would be great … Thank You

Fronts 39 7/8” maybe little over and Rears is at 41 15/16” but I’ve got 200lbs of sand in the back from the flooding here and maybe 100lbs of tools and random **** right now.
I measured it from the ground to the highest part of the arch, I’ve got 275 60 R20 Wildpeaks 33.1” tires. I can measure it from the centre of the wheel to the highest part of the arch if that’s better.

CA2CB9C5-B3F2-4F23-9E09-D9B616198619.jpeg

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the measurements …. This is all just pre-planning …. Gotta get the thing outa Mich and down here to OH …. Also gotta slide in a 83” garage door …. At least till I hit the lottery, put in an 8’ door, and lift that puppy 6” rollin on 325/60’s

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately I got a better chance of pickin up sticks with my butt cheecks ….

Robalo2718

Reaction score
R.Duff, thanks for the intel on the Dobinsons! I just put the same coils in my truck after putting in Hellwig adjustable end links a couple weeks ago. Too early to give much report, but I made a point of hitting speed bumps, a dirt road, and the interstate on the way home - so far it is feeling good! Was at 39.625" in the rear before with 1.5" coil spacers and non-ORG stock springs. Am now at 40.625" with the Dobinsons. Glad to get some of my truck's rake back. Way I had it before, it didn't take much to make it look nose high. 20211216_133846.jpg

Integral

Reaction score
Finally got a weekend off and not on call so decided to get the rear done.

Put 5160s in and also Dobinson 2"lift coils with heavier load rating in, along with some core 4x4 end links.

overall wasn't bad at all, needed the spring compressors to just shrink them a little to get them in.

so far the rides smoother and more planted but only went to get beer up the road so haven't hit any bumps really. Still gotta chuck the 6112s in the front and let it all settle and see how she rides. But so far so good, something different than the Clayton's, don't think I'll get any clapping of coils with these Dobinsons as the tops few coils aren't so close together but we'll see.
View attachment 104830 View attachment 104831 View attachment 104832 View attachment 104833 View attachment 104834
Are the rear end links necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread