5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disabling MDS

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have my settings so that the green "ECO" comes on in the cluster when MDS is enabled.
I have read here and other forums that the only way to disable MDS is to use the shift feature on the steering wheel and set it to "8" when driving in order to disable MDS.
I have found that when enabling "Tow/Haul" I cannot get the "ECO" to light up, no matter how I drive. In essence, disabling MDS.
I've read where this isn't true, and you have to manually use the shift feature on the steering wheel to disable MDS, but I do not find that to be true. Just an FYI.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here. I experimented with Tow/Haul myself; I have never had the ECO/MDS kick in while in Tow/Haul. I just tried it a couple days ago and no matter how much I feathered the throttle in Tow/Haul the MDS would not kick in. Switched Tow/Haul off and MDS kicked in right away.

MFALRAM

Reaction score
I have my settings so that the green "ECO" comes on in the cluster when MDS is enabled.
I have read here and other forums that the only way to disable MDS is to use the shift feature on the steering wheel and set it to "8" when driving in order to disable MDS.
I have found that when enabling "Tow/Haul" I cannot get the "ECO" to light up, no matter how I drive. In essence, disabling MDS.
I've read where this isn't true, and you have to manually use the shift feature on the steering wheel to disable MDS, but I do not find that to be true. Just an FYI.
Correct tow/ haul will disable MDS. But tow/haul does have different shift points you’ll notice a little more snappy driving it in tow haul and your mpg go down. That’s why most people will use the gear limit either way still a pain. Or just get a cam and problem solve with a little more hp as long as you don’t mind your warranty goes bye bye lol

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I feel the need to apologize here. I'm one of the people who was posting mis-information about this regarding 5th gens. My knowledge and experience on this comes from 4th gens. I was making the incorrect assumption that 5th gens would have the same behavior. Apparently it's different for 5th gens. I'm kind of curious about this difference, so I'll see if I can find any more information on it when I have some time. More for my own curiosity, but I'll share any links I find.

2wd

Reaction score
I think there is some confusion when you research this because on 4th Gen Rams Tow/Haul did not always disable.

It appears on the 5th Gens, Tow/Haul will disable MDS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/