5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disable Bluetooth

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have exhausted my resources on how to disable the bluetooth on the UConnect System.

I have someone that is sensitive to EMF frequencies that rides with me, so don't comment why would you want to do that.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you talking about un-pairing a phone? Or totally disabling it? Which radio do you have?

HemiDude

Reaction score
Interesting scenario. I don't use bluetooth often but it never occurred to me that one might want to permanently disable it. I'm sure I looked at much the same info out there as you, and don't see any settings for that. I searched through all my Tazer settings as well, no dice.

Hopefully someone Uconnect-savvy chimes in, and I will keep my eyes and ears open for a solution. Good luck to you!

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found this to unplug the antenna, looks like it'll kill wifi too. That said, if someone is that sensitive to EMF, this being right in front of the passenger seat would probably really bother them. Good Luck.
1645538747793.png

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting scenario. I don't use bluetooth often but it never occurred to me that one might want to permanently disable it. I'm sure I looked at much the same info out there as you, and don't see any settings for that. I searched through all my Tazer settings as well, no dice.

Hopefully someone Uconnect-savvy chimes in, and I will keep my eyes and ears open for a solution. Good luck to you!
Thank for looking through your Tazer settings.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found this to unplug the antenna, looks like it'll kill wifi too. That said, if someone is that sensitive to EMF, this being right in front of the passenger seat would probably really bother them. Good Luck.
View attachment 121386
I would really like to find a software solution so that if I need to use the BlueTooth I can just turn it back on.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Maybe add a toggle switch to the Bluetooth antenna? Just to add some info, I turn off the radio quite a bit and Bluetooth still connects even when the head unit is off, it seems to be independent of Uconnect

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe add a toggle switch to the Bluetooth antenna? Just to add some info, I turn off the radio quite a bit and Bluetooth still connects even when the head unit is off, it seems to be independent of Uconnect
It probably just shuts the radio and screen off. :(

ben b

Reaction score
Hopefully someone with an AlphaOBD can chime in... :unsure:
I tried two different approaches to see if I could help.
  1. I downloaded the AlphaOBD demo app and went thru the options. I did not see any way to disable the Bluetooth. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist--just means that I couldn't find it. It's easy to download yourself and look thru the options. Just search for "Alpha OBD Demo" in your favorite app store (ios or android).
  2. I tried the "cheap and dirty" of putting as much aluminum foil around the accessible area around the antenna. I couldn't enclose the antenna completely so this mostly just reflects the RF signal away from the passenger compartment (you need RF absorptive material to actually attenuate the signal). But it didn't help. My Bluetooth was still strong enough to work well. As a second test, I enclosed my cellphone entirely in aluminum foil. This cut off the Bluetooth connection by creating a Faraday cage. But this just proves that aluminum foil can work if it fully encloses an RF antenna. You would have to get behind the trim panel for this, and not quick to undo.
I do expect that physically disconnecting the antenna would prevent the RF energy from entering the passenger compartment, per ekaz's post. But then you would be forced to connect via USB if you want to have phone interact with Uconnect.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried two different approaches to see if I could help.
  1. I downloaded the AlphaOBD demo app and went thru the options. I did not see any way to disable the Bluetooth. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist--just means that I couldn't find it. It's easy to download yourself and look thru the options. Just search for "Alpha OBD Demo" in your favorite app store (ios or android).
  2. I tried the "cheap and dirty" of putting as much aluminum foil around the accessible area around the antenna. I couldn't enclose the antenna completely so this mostly just reflects the RF signal away from the passenger compartment (you need RF absorptive material to actually attenuate the signal). But it didn't help. My Bluetooth was still strong enough to work well. As a second test, I enclosed my cellphone entirely in aluminum foil. This cut off the Bluetooth connection by creating a Faraday cage. But this just proves that aluminum foil can work if it fully encloses an RF antenna. You would have to get behind the trim panel for this, and not quick to undo.
I do expect that physically disconnecting the antenna would prevent the RF energy from entering the passenger compartment, per ekaz's post. But then you would be forced to connect via USB if you want to have phone interact with Uconnect.
Thanks for checking the AlphaOBD settings. I was hoping that this would be the solution. Perhaps it is but just need to have the full version or know the correct syntax to turn the Bluetooth off.

Hopefully you can disconnect the antenna without breaking it. I will have to explore this option more.

Fortunately, I connect my phone to the USB every time I get into the truck to charge the phone anyway so that is not an inconvenience for me as my truck does not have the wireless charging pad.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for checking the AlphaOBD settings. I was hoping that this would be the solution. Perhaps it is but just need to have the full version or know the correct syntax to turn the Bluetooth off.

Hopefully you can disconnect the antenna without breaking it. I will have to explore this option more.

Fortunately, I connect my phone to the USB every time I get into the truck to charge the phone anyway so that is not an inconvenience for me as my truck does not have the wireless charging pad.
I have the full version of Alfa and will be playing around with settings tonight, I'll see if I can find anything in there.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I have been collecting POC's from the internet for the sales codes
IMO you will need the code to tell alphaobd what to shut off
all I have been able to find is the tech group ADG, which may or may not work
but then again it is just my opinion based on other sales code uses

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't see anything last night but was getting cold in the garage, might go back out there tonight to look again.

RamDriverWife

Reaction score
Do you think the service department will have the codes to disable the Bluetooth?
It's been a few months....have you had any success finding a solution for this? (I'm like your passenger - very EMF sensitive - and my husband just purchased a Ram.)

Users who are viewing this thread