5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Different Exhaust Notes Between Trims (Stock Exhaust)

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Random question, but does anybody know if different trim levels (i.e. Big Horn, Laramie, Limited, etc.) have different exhaust components leading to different exhaust notes? The reason I ask is that my father has a 2019 Limited with the 5.7L and I have a 2020 Big Horn with the 5.7L (both non-etorque) and I feel like the Limited has a much nicer sounding stock exhaust.

Thanks, and apologies if this has been discussed in the past.

b.w.royder

Reaction score
I had a 19 Laramie and now I have a 21 Laramie sport and the exhaust sounds much better in the 21. So I wonder the same thing you are.

TxAg98

Reaction score
Once thing that has come up, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason, is some models have an inline resonator in the pipe between the cats and the first muffler, while some just have a straight pipe. My '21 Laramie just has the straight pipe between cat and muffler.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting thought on this. I would assume the same exhaust set up

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Once thing that has come up, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason, is some models have an inline resonator in the pipe between the cats and the first muffler, while some just have a straight pipe. My '21 Laramie just has the straight pipe between cat and muffler.
I was thinking about deleting that resonator awhile back, but then I looked and mine doesn't have one either.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are they both the same cab/bed combo? A longer exhaust (found on a crew cab 6' bed) might sound smoother/mellower than a club cab with a 5 1/2' bed, for example

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are they both the same cab/bed combo? A longer exhaust (found on a crew cab 6' bed) might sound smoother/mellower than a club cab with a 5 1/2' bed, for example
Yes, both the same cab/bed combo. Both crew cabs with the short bed. I’ll have to check to see if the 2019 has the inline resonator before the muffler. My 2020 doesn’t have it.

Mmezamurillo

Reaction score
I was just wondering this, my dad has a 19 longhorn and I have a 20 Laramie. His sounds a bit louder than mine.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm. Offering my experience, I have a 2019 Rebel that was build in late 2018 - it was wayyyyy to quiet for my liking. I personally felt it was quieter than the 2016 Rebel I had when it was stock.

Danowilliam

Reaction score
I have a 2022 ram sport crew cab, it definitely has a totally better sounding exhaust than and Ram I've had..and I've had 9 since 2010, something is up with the sport model exhaust

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In regards to the non-sport models, as mentioned the 2019 and some 2020 had a inline resonator that came after the cat, plus the two big resonators (people sometimes mistake for mufflers) at the end.

Some 2020 and later removed that inline resonator, which definitely changed the tone.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2022 ram sport crew cab, it definitely has a totally better sounding exhaust than and Ram I've had..and I've had 9 since 2010, something is up with the sport model exhaust
Maybe you got the GT exhaust by accident. Did you buy new?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For an added variable, my Tradesman has a single exhaust hemi. I seen that dual exhaust was a chrome trim option on big horns when I ordered my truck. The split would come after the muffler, but as a single, I have one oval shaped resonator (or muffler?) near the outlet. Same horsepower as dual tips. As a '21, I haven't looked for a front resonator yet.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
For an added variable, my Tradesman has a single exhaust hemi. I seen that dual exhaust was a chrome trim option on big horns when I ordered my truck. The split would come after the muffler, but as a single, I have one oval shaped resonator (or muffler?) near the outlet. Same horsepower as dual tips. As a '21, I haven't looked for a front resonator yet.
Without seeing it i'm 99% sure you are talking about the muffler.

This is a picture of my stock exhaust. The big circle thing is the muffler.
1674843140538.jpeg

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Without seeing it i'm 99% sure you are talking about the muffler.

This is a picture of my stock exhaust. The big circle thing is the muffler.
View attachment 149940

As said above and in other threads, mid year '20 stopped the front resonator.

fr.jpg

Oval rear resonator/muffler similar to older 4th gen and HDs.

rr.jpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
As said above and in other threads, mid year '20 stopped the front resonator.

Oval rear resonator/muffler similar to older 4th gen and HDs.
I'm very confused of what message or question you are trying to relay.
The picture you posted is a muffler, and a resonator.

The pictures I posted of my OEM exhaust on a 2022 have resonators and the muffler (obviously)
The GT exhaust shouldn't have resonators as it's an S Type Borla which doesn't come with resonators.

You can purchase a resonator if you want though

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online