5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did some sound deadening to my doors

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Decided to put some CLD tiles on the metal of the doors then some 1.5 lb/sf mass loaded vinyl between the inner plastic and door skin. Sounds much quieter but still hear road noise that Im now certain is coming from the rear vents (this will be the next to be addressed).

Took a few hours to do and cut the hell out of my hands, but its worth it. This is the 3rd Ram ive owned that ive done this too.

Attachments

• 20200501_095053.jpg
    20200501_095053.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 426
  • 20200501_115124.jpg
    20200501_115124.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 419

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Looks good! When you reinstalled the door panel, how did you get the clips do reconnect, specifically at the bottom? When I reinstalled my door panel, the clips line up at the bottom but don't hold the door tight anymore.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Looks good! When you reinstalled the door panel, how did you get the clips do reconnect, specifically at the bottom? When I reinstalled my door panel, the clips line up at the bottom but don't hold the door tight anymore.
They were tricky. The last door I did (rear drivers side) didnt connect. I was over it at that point but panel still holds solid and there isnt a gap.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The vents in the rear are where I hear noise, other than the Falken AT tires that roar at higher speeds, which will be resolved first of next week. I've often wondered what would happen if I sealed off those vents. I'm not sure of any other way to get rid of that noise. I can't hear anything in the doors, just in the back.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
About 10 posts down, MBORO19RAM has pictures of a baffle box/muffler for the rear vent

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The vents in the rear are where I hear noise, other than the Falken AT tires that roar at higher speeds, which will be resolved first of next week. I've often wondered what would happen if I sealed off those vents. I'm not sure of any other way to get rid of that noise. I can't hear anything in the doors, just in the back.
You don't like your Falken tires? I'd be happy to take them off your hands. ;)

Don't seal up those vents. They're there for a reason.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
About 10 posts down, MBORO19RAM has pictures of a baffle box/muffler for the rear vent
Yep... I eventually read that... pretty neat idea. I have some MLV and think I will build a filter box out of it and vent it to the bottom.

Too much road noise for me. There are times where the tires are all I hear. Shipping would probably be ridiculous, but I do plan on selling them.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Too much road noise for me. There are times where the tires are all I hear. Shipping would probably be ridiculous, but I do plan on selling them.
The road noise doesn't bother me. I'm a fan of those tires after seeing how well they performed last winter.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They really are not bad for an AT... much quieter than what I've heard in other off-road vehicles. I'm spoiled with my 2WD units and Michelin Defenders... stupid quiet. I only got the 4WD for just in case emergencies, which seem to come up from time to time. I don't mud ride or get crazy, so street tires should be fine in a pinch here and there.

I'm really looking to get the truck as quiet as the 2WD that I traded in, which was very quiet, until I disconnected the subwoofer and cut out the portion of the ANC that dealt with the exhaust system. The exhaust actually sounded pretty cool for about a day or two, then I got tired of hearing it... lol... and wanted my quiet back.

Last edited:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love my Fallen tires. I'll probably put the same thing back on when they wear out. As for road noise, it's always cool to see what people do for noise abatement.

smashweights

Reaction score

Are you referring to the vents on the back lower portion of the rear door area? If so those are to vent the eTorque battery pack...

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just discovered that battery pack tonight... did not realize it was behind the drivers side rear seat and mounted to the rear wall.

The vents I am referring to are the two 8" or so vents on the rear wall below the rear window. I plan on building an MLV vented cover to help with the noise coming thru those... basically a filter to also keep the dust out, which can get really bad back there.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are you referring to the vents on the back lower portion of the rear door area? If so those are to vent the eTorque battery pack...

I'm referring to the vents on the rear wall of the cab. They are not related to the etorque battery.

tim doyle

Reaction score
I have the same problem with vent noise. Is it just me, or is anyone else pissed that they have to come up with a home remedy to make a 50,000 dollar truck quiet??

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same problem with vent noise. Is it just me, or is anyone else pissed that they have to come up with a home remedy to make a 50,000 dollar truck quiet??
I'm not, because this truck is already quieter than my Titan was :)

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Nah I’m just joking, that’s cool you’ve figured out how to do this and that it actually works. Thanks for sharing with photos too. I’m biased, tires in signature ;)

Users who are viewing this thread