5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Chrysler Fix the Hemi Tick for 5th Gen?

MrBing

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2019 Ram Classic SLT Lonestar V8 Hemi with 11K miles. I have been "researching" flat-spotting on cams known to occur on older Hemi V8 generations and seeking whatever preventative measures I can to avoid replacing cam/rollers and whatever else in the future. A lot of debate on the Hemi "tick" issue is all over the web that tries to pinpoint the cause. The general consensus on that issue suggests that the bearings in the cam rollers are faulty and can "stick" thus wearing down the cam lobes leading to one of two Hemi "ticks" (faulty exhaust manifold bolts being the other issue). Some sources have suggested that deactivating the MDS combined with upgrading to full synthetic 5w20 (while under warranty) is a good one-two punch to avoid this serious problem (mechanics have reported that affected cams and cam rollers have been oil starved and a synth could help. Some folks have even suggested switching to 5w30 after the warranty has expired).

Alternatively, another source has stated that in 2016-2017, Chrysler addressed this problem (though he did not expand on what was done). The mechanic that discussed this issue stated that he had not seen any Hemi v8 MDS equipped models in his shop that had problems related to flat-spotting on cams or issues with cam rollers. He did admit that it is conceivable this problem is not widespread yet on 2017+ models because mileage on those trucks should still be fairly low after 3 years f use. However, I have seen on message boards where owners have had this issue happen as early as 25K miles on older models.

So a few questions here.
1. Did Chrysler address the cheap cam roller issue or do something to fix the flat-spotting on cams at some point?
2. Because 2019+ models are "5th Gen", is the Hemi tick/cam flat-spotting still something to be expected?
2. Has anyone experienced the Hemi tick in a 2019 or 2020 model and if so, what was the diagnosis? Is the Hemi tick alive and well?
3. What are your thoughts on disabling the MDS to prevent this problem in case Chsyler has not fixed this issue? (FYI, disabling the MDS is pretty easy and can be done one of two ways and does not void warranty)

Orion10182011

Reaction score
Do not switch to 5w30! The engineers designed the engine for 5w20 and that's what you should run. It's a good possibility that those who develop HEMI tick might have been running the wrong oil IMHO.

Yes Synthetic will help. I run synthetic in everything I own.

I know one of the hedges against Hemi tic was to put Hellcat lifters in. It's possible the FCA is using better lifters now but IDK.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do not switch to 5w30! The engineers designed the engine for 5w20 and that's what you should run. It's a good possibility that those who develop HEMI tick might have been running the wrong oil IMHO.

I'm not sure where you're getting your data from, but it contradicts everything I've read on the subject. Using an expensive Redline 5w30 oil has quieted the tick for everybody that has tried it, they suspect due in part to the high Moly content. None of them were running the wrong oil before the tick started, they noticed the tick and went looking for a solution.

For the OP, here is one sample discussion:

Of course, running a 5w30 oil like Redline might void your warranty, so this is all at your own risk.

silver billet

Reaction score
So... You have a part that might be getting oil starved and the solution is to put thicker oil in?... Nope nope nope. :/

Well on the one hand you offer a solution which does not eliminate ticking, and the guy in the corner offers a solution where the ticking goes away. Dunno about anybody else, but I know where my money is going.

Orion10182011

Reaction score
True Hemi tick is from the roller on the lifter locking up. You don't get the "tick" until it's ground the cam down to where the sides of the lifter and hitting the cam lobe. By then you're F*&^%. This is different then just plain old noisy lifters. Which Hemi's seem to be known for.

Last edited:

popcenator

Reaction score
I used 5w-30 on my 2012 for at least 30K miles, it was the quietest that truck had ever been. Even when I traded it with nearly 100K on the engine it was damn near silent. I'll be running the same in my Rebel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Short answer, no, RAM didn’t fix the tick as far as I have read. Owner options like what has been written in other threads and a bit above abounds but I believe it’s still there. Sure are a bazillion posts/articles about it online.
Now perhaps the exhaust manifold issue is gone, unsure...

silver billet

Reaction score
True Hemi tick is from the roller on the lifter locking up. You don't get the "tick" until it's ground the cam down to where the sides of the lifter and hitting the cam lobe. By then you're F*&^%. This is different then just plain old noisy lifters. Which Hemi's seem to be known for.

What I'm saying is, there are people that have quieted their hemi by running Redline 5w30; they swap out the oil, the noise they hear is eliminated or severerly reduced, and to me that suggests that that can only be a good thing.

Some of these guys have had the noise from day one, myself included. Nothing has been worn down yet at this point, unless it was just poorly made in the factory.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
What I'm saying is, there are people that have quieted their hemi by running Redline 5w30; they swap out the oil, the noise they hear is eliminated or severerly reduced, and to me that suggests that that can only be a good thing.

Some of these guys have had the noise from day one, myself included. Nothing has been worn down yet at this point, unless it was just poorly made in the factory.
Yeah thats what I wonder too. Can’t “wear” down something thats brand new...

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5/30 is fine to run. It’s in owners manual. If your keeping the truck for the long haul. There is nothing wrong with you, for your truck to do what you feel is right to make that long haul happen. If it’s changing oil at 3k. Running super high end oil, Ect Ect I’m all for it.
Your money spent on truck to first purchase. It will be your money again if something is to arise outside of warranty to fix it.

after getting all my lifters done couple weeks ago.
I’ll be changing oil out and going 5/30 at least the summer. All I’ve read, why not. Yes it was fixed, at the same was exhausting too. Really don’t want to deal all that again. only time will tell.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Manual "recommends" 5W-20, but it does not say not to use anything else, as long as it meets MS-6395, so 5W-30 should be fine as long as it meets that standard.
I have a pronounced tick by the way. Grown used to it.

1590603493061.png

1590603247292.png

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Manual "recommends" 5W-20, but it does not say not to use anything else, as long as it meets MS-6395, so 5W-30 should be fine as long as it meets that standard.

View attachment 57288

View attachment 57287

Probably should go see a dr. about that, just sayin’...

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Being a first time Ram owner, I am not sure what tick you all are referring to. Funny, my neighbor asked me if they got rid of the tick on the the new Ram when I brought it home, and I was like "sounds like it" because I have no idea what that tick sounds like. Can anyone post a sound clip or video on here with that tick, or link me a previous vid?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Probably should go see a dr. about that, just sayin’...
Nah, it’s normal, and only on a cold engine. Every other Hemi I’ve heard sounds about the same.

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
While my case was in a 3.6 pentastar in a Wrangler, everyone online said to run 5w-30 as well to prevent lifter issues. Apparently it happens in the 3.6 as well, so I ran PUP 5w-30 and my lifter still gave out at 80k. Luckily warranty paid for new lifters, cam and rockers. I did all my own oil changes, and no one ever asked for any proof. So I know it doesn't answer the question, but I'm of the mind that if your engine has out of spec lifters or a cam or whatever, they will still fail despite whether you run 20 or 30. I never saw any tangible benefit in the 3.6 with the 30, so on my 5.7 I'll just run 5w-20 and hope any problems show up while under warranty.

Orion10182011

Reaction score
I had a Jeep Cherokee with a 3.2 Pentastar that I traded on my ram. It had 70k miles on it with no valve train noise. But I always ran 5w20 Mobil 1 from the first oil change. I will do the same with my Ram.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
The difference in viscosity between 5W-20 and 5W-30 is around 2 cSt at operating temp for most off the shelf oils, 5W-20 is usually around 8.5cSt and 5W-30 around 10.5cSt. For example in my oil of choice, Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic, the 5W-20 is 8.5cSt and the 5W-30 is 10.3cSt at 212F. 5W-30 is very, very thin at the operating temps seen in the Hemi engine, if an oil pump can't move enough 5W-30 to properly lubricate a Hemi then something is wrong with that oil pump.

Countless owners have reported on the various forums, including this one, that they have successfully used 5W-30 in Hemi engines in all of the FCA models with no issues, to argue against that makes no sense and goes directly against the real world experience of those folks. The only real question is should you use 5W-30 instead of 5W-20 and that's where it gets a little murky. Does 5W-30 provide demonstrable better performance and protection than 5W-20, and how does it affect the warranty? I know the warranty only "recommends" using an API certified 5W-20 oil that meets MS-6395 but there is a paragraph that says: "Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used." If you have a lifter/cam issue and show the service manager a handful of receipts for 5W-30 that you put in the engine does that paragraph give them an out? I don't know, but I'd just as soon not have to fight that battle so I'll use Valvoline synthetic 5W-20, even though I'd much prefer to use 0W-20, once I put a few thousand miles on the factory fill. Each owner has to make an educated decision on what oil works best for their driving conditions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread