5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did a little undercoating today...anyone else have advice?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
..did the spray can, rubberized stuff. Diff looks a lot better, was starting to get that surface rust look. Didn't go crazy though. Just the major areas, staying away from fittings, joints, electrical, etc..anyone else do this? Would like to hear what parts you did/didn't do.

Attachments

• IMG_20200305_145400677.jpg
    IMG_20200305_145400677.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20200305_145412943.jpg
    IMG_20200305_145412943.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 154

Damion

Reaction score
The problem with the rubberized stuff is that it will harden and crack, then it'll trap water behind it which makes the corrosion issue worse.

Using a product that stays soft ( if you wipe it it comes off on your finger like grease ) is a much better solution

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wanted to fluid film, rust check, etc etc my truck in the fall before the snow and salt but unfortunately didn't get a chance. Hoping I can do it early this spring some time.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I used to undercoat all my vehicles, as it does protect against rocks chipping the paint underneath. However, after looking at everything under the truck, I decided to forgo it this time, as the retractable running boards and Weathertech mud guards should provide adequate protection. I will however, spray rustproofing in the door bottoms, rockers, tailgate bottom and leading hood edge.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The problem with the rubberized stuff is that it will harden and crack, then it'll trap water behind it which makes the corrosion issue worse.

Using a product that stays soft ( if you wipe it it comes off on your finger like grease ) is a much better solution
I hear that..the stuff I used goes on more like a thin film of spray paint...not a thick coating at all. Just think it is a little extra protection, not as much as a professional full-undercoat, but better than nothing.

timwarner

Reaction score
..did the spray can, rubberized stuff. Diff looks a lot better, was starting to get that surface rust look. Didn't go crazy though. Just the major areas, staying away from fittings, joints, electrical, etc..anyone else do this? Would like to hear what parts you did/didn't do.

timwarner

Reaction score
I'm from upstate NY and we always had problems with salt and rust.I used to use electronic rustproofing on all my vehicles.It's designed to keep changing polarity on the metal.Worked really well.

Damion

Reaction score
I'm from upstate NY and we always had problems with salt and rust.I used to use electronic rustproofing on all my vehicles.It's designed to keep changing polarity on the metal.Worked really well.
I’ve seen vehicles around here with those units installed, they work good enough that even the screws / bolts holding the unit to the vehicle are rusted.

There’s way too much salt both on the roads and in the air for those around here. The joys of living in the Canadian maritimes.

The_Dude

Reaction score
I sprayed my whole underbody with woolwax. I took my fender liners out and sprayed cosmoline on all 4 inner fender lips.

Users who are viewing this thread