5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diamond Black Crystal after a rain

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First black truck and way different from keeping my bright white '15 looking good.

My real question is whether or not there is any product which loosens light dirt and water spots so it can be rinsed off with a hose and then dried.

I wash my truck weekly using Meguiar's gold class wash followed by their Hybrid Ceramic Spray and it looks great after a wash....but then it rains and even worse, I might have to take a short jaunt on the wet roads which leaves road spray on the paint. A hose rinse won't remove it though I assume it removes the larger dirt particles.

I really don't want to touch the paint unless I'm washing it and I don't want to wash it every other day. Is there anything I can use. I toyed with the idea of spraying the Meguires Ceramic Hybrid Quick detailer (or similar) on and then hosing it off to see if that removes the stains.

Thoughts?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Short of having a ceramic coating applied there really isn’t much that will help . This is my 3rd black truck , the first one I’d be washing and waxing it every 1 - 2 weeks . By the 2nd one I just started thinking WTH it’s a truck and it’s supposed to be dirty lol . Saved my sanity .

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not much you can do really other then parking it in a garage and not driving it. Hosing it off will probably just lead to more water spots and you don't want to dry it after only hosing it off as the dirt still on the paint will add swirls. I just wash mine every two weeks or so, if it gets dirty in between so be it.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if it was ceramic coated, how would that affect what I'm asking to do?
Keeps dirt/debris from sticking to the paint a lot more. Not like it’s never going to get dirty again but there is a reason ceramic coating places advertise how easy it is to wash your car once it’s coated. Usually my truck looks a little cleaner after a heavy rain.

tswea1

Reaction score
I have the Black Diamond Crystal that I got ceramic coated. While it won’t come close to replacing the need for regular washing, definitely helps and as stated, looks cleaner after a rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I am going to touch the truck I'd wash it. I was hoping for something that would release the dirt like whatever they use in touchless car washes that I could just hose or power wash off.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I am going to touch the truck I'd wash it. I was hoping for something that would release the dirt like whatever they use in touchless car washes that I could just hose or power wash off.
Could use a foam cannon and pressure washer.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could use a foam cannon and pressure washer.
So I did that once butr wasn't really happy with the results. I will try again tomorrow.
I used Meguiar's Gold class which foamed nice but seemed to leave runs....but I really wasn't paying that much attention.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
It's going to be pretty tough to find something completely touchless that will leave no spots at all on a black vehicle. As you mentioned, it's much different than owning a white vehicle. Keeping a fresh coat of wax, sealant, or ceramic coat will help. You might try the foam cannon again with a high quality PH balanced soap that is made for foaming (try Adams or Chemical Guys). Thoroughly rinse, then try using a leaf blower for drying.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's going in for ceramic next month. I realize I still have to wash it but hopefully besides looking good, it will be less prone to scratches with all the washing.

gilla81

Reaction score
It's going in for ceramic next month. I realize I still have to wash it but hopefully besides looking good, it will be less prone to scratches with all the washing.
What do you think of your ceramic coating? Was it worth the $$$? I'm considering doing the same thing.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What do you think of your ceramic coating? Was it worth the $$$? I'm considering doing the same thing.
My truck looks awesome. It's too soon to rate how the ceramic thwarts off the winter weather but here we are a month and two snow storms after getting it done and I haven't done anything but rinse it with water, once to try to remove some salt. Prior to the salt, every time it rained the truck looked clean enough to not need a wash.
As far as value, only you can decide that. I'm lucky enough that at this stage of my life money isn't a concern, that's probably not true for others.

Last edited:

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck looks great! It's like you just washed it.
Sorry to mislead you, that pic was a day or two after the coating just to confirm that my truck looks awesome ;)

This pic is from a few minutes ago. I drove it around in light snow yesterday. In the last month it was rinsed with water just once a few days ago. If you know what winter in New England looks like this looks great as well.

ram12-15-20.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online