5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Detroit Three's lucrative pickup war intensifies as Ram makes big gains

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's another that makes my head spin, below.

I mean, my gawd man, if they can't even recognize the problem, I doubt they can fix it. Somebody needs to tell these people they just got bumped from #2.

I'm wondering now if we should be dumping GM stock...

-------------------------------------------------------------
The truck (new Silverado) has received unflattering reviews for its utilitarian interior.

GM's Piszar brushed aside the critics. "We're not concerned at all," he said. "As people see this new truck, they're blown away."

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably a misquote. They probably said 'bull-feces'

I'd say that GM was asleep at the wheel...but they couldn't find the wheel with both hands, a map, and a flashlight.

Speaking of "asleep at the wheel", at least GMC/Chevy finally got around to centering their steering wheel on the driver's position ;-)

Still, one should never underestimate a competitor. GMC/Chevy can turn around their pickup truck interior problem in one model year, if they choose to. And don't forget, Ram has been struggling mightily to (a) get the new Ram 1500 DT into full production with all options always available, and (b) Ram is suffering some significant quality issues so far with a not-insignificant number of the 2019 DT models.

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely pro-Ram, I'm waiting patiently for Ram to make the 6'4" Ram Box and Ecodiesel options available in the 2019 1500, but don't over-estimate Ram and don't under-estimate GM. Way too early for Ram, or Ram fans, to start crowing and strutting.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
>500,000 trucks annually versus a couple dozen forum members with problems.

Let's multiply the number of problem trucks by 500 to represent non-forum members: 3.5%

Assume half of those get their problems fixed: 1.8%

Regarding interiors... I've been waiting since the 1990's for GM to do something. The Force is strong with their bean counters.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
If GM just took one interior designer from their suv team they'd actually have a mildly competitive truck. People can't drive their silverados and sierras from their almighty bed step, they spend all their time on the interior and gm's interior is hardly rental fleet approved.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Here's another that makes my head spin, below.

I mean, my gawd man, if they can't even recognize the problem, I doubt they can fix it. Somebody needs to tell these people they just got bumped from #2.

I'm wondering now if we should be dumping GM stock...

The truck (new Silverado) has received unflattering reviews for its utilitarian interior.

GM's Piszar brushed aside the critics. "We're not concerned at all," he said. "As people see this new truck, they're blown away by how bad it is."
FTFY

Joking aside, what's he going to say? "Yeah, we realized we screwed the pooch and released a clearly half baked product?" No official spokesman is ever going to make a public proclamation to that effect.

If GM pushes out at least an interior redesign in the next year or two, that's all I need to know.

Last edited:

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I don't see much upside for GM with the new 1500s. Maybe a slight uptick of sales when the new HD models hit showrooms, and likely another sales uptick as the 4500/5500/6500 hit showrooms for the first time (off the top of my head, I don't remember if this is the first time ever GM has sold those models, or just the first time in a while) but I project GM 1500 sales to stay flat or decline until a redesign.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gm truck is over all ugly, interior horrible. Fords not bad. Power numbers and torque curve is amazing on redesigned 3.5 I’ll give them that. All around best would be ram even if I didn’t have one.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FTFY

Joking aside, what's he going to say? "Yeah, we realized we screwed the pooch and released a clearly half baked product?" No official spokesman is ever going to make a public proclamation to that effect.

If GM pushes out at least an interior redesign in the next year or two, that's all I need to know.

Those authorized to speak publicly have talking points.... no doubt... but why not throw a bone??

You don't say it's crap but you leave room for interpretation... how about this: "we are listening and will continue to improve"

Saying it's a good design and people will like it... is insulting... tone-deaf... dumb... etc etc etc

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you make a career selling whatever your employer is shoveling, what else would you expect?

They probably hope that if they keep repeating it, people will believe it.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ completely agree. Doesn’t matter how crappy the product is. In his position he is to promote and up it as much as possible cheerfully with a smile. That’s in anything with that position.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You put a high country next to a limited or Laramie long horn and it’s two different worlds. The GMC Denali even is a joke compared to the top tier rams of 2019. The ram redesign is just so nice.

The interior versus GM is no competition. They did a terrible job on that thing. They went in a wild direction on the exterior and on the interior did nothing. The dash looks terrible. I don’t know how in the 2019 YM they still think a 8” screen is going to cut it as big as the new trucks are. That screen drove me nuts in my Escalade. Looks so small.

GM is going to be a solid number 3 by end of 2019 and ford maybe in trouble of losing number 1 for the first time in a long time. They just strike me as they were honk they can get by with what they have and it’s obvious with rams sucess buyers are wanting something new.

Ram is the only all new truck out right now. Reason why it’s doing so well

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^this^^^ Even Fords completely redesigned expedition received the existing f-150 interior. No thought at all went into designing an updated trim level. I found it somewhat confusing, and would not consider the expedition for my wife because it looked just like the Raptor I was driving.

Longhorn

Reaction score
You put a high country next to a limited or Laramie long horn and it’s two different worlds. The GMC Denali even is a joke compared to the top tier rams of 2019. The ram redesign is just so nice.

The interior versus GM is no competition. They did a terrible job on that thing. They went in a wild direction on the exterior and on the interior did nothing. The dash looks terrible. I don’t know how in the 2019 YM they still think a 8” screen is going to cut it as big as the new trucks are. That screen drove me nuts in my Escalade. Looks so small.

GM is going to be a solid number 3 by end of 2019 and ford maybe in trouble of losing number 1 for the first time in a long time. They just strike me as they were honk they can get by with what they have and it’s obvious with rams sucess buyers are wanting something new.

Ram is the only all new truck out right now. Reason why it’s doing so well

It definitely puts the pressure on the upcoming f150, probably have to raise it up a notch since everyone sees how well the ram is doing. New GMC/Chevy offers no competition. Just my opinion.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It definitely puts the pressure on the upcoming f150, probably have to raise it up a notch since everyone sees how well the ram is doing. New GMC/Chevy offers no competition. Just my opinion.

Ford is going to have to really introduce some things they are not offering now. Air Ride I think has proven to be a big feature people want. I have it and would never buy another truck that doesn't have it. The infotainment system ford has is nice but is nothing compared to the Uconnect. The 8.4 is great on its own allowing to have CarPlay or android auto available as well as the factory navigation. Ford does not allow that. If you have Your phone plugged in and CarPlay/Android Auto enabled then the factory nav is not available. Ford need to introduce a larger screen like they have in the navigation and upcoming aviator. Its a 10". The Engine Options is the only strong point I see for Ford. The interior is ok in the ford but really needs to be updated. Its definitely no where near as quiet as the new RAM. They have a real problem there though all of their big guns are based off that interior. Expedition, Super Duty and F150. So if they change the F150 and leave the expedition they just shoot themselves in the foot.

RAM really did something here and its great. I dont think Ford and GM really thought the new RAM would be so well received or would bring so much to the truck world. I honestly thought I could resist the new RAM when I read about it. Made the mistake and looked at one while servicing my 13. Then drove it. Then fell in love. Couldn't sleep that night thinking about it. I stayed up researching all night. Bought one. I had a couple of small issues and they are fixed now and since November not one single problem since.

Reaction score

GM's Piszar brushed aside the critics. "We're not concerned at all," he said. "As people see this new truck, they're blown away."

----------

Of course he had to flog his own product. His job depends on it. Whether or not he believes his own BS is the real question. Most executives are, IMO, risk-avers strivers. They had a popular product and they're afraid to mess with it, so they try to convince themselves and everyone else their stuff is perfect the way it is. That's how competitors like RAM leapfrog the segment leaders.

So a jacka** like Piszar can brush aside his critics all he wants. I bought a RAM.

Users who are viewing this thread