5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Detailing tip

Powerman1960

Reaction score
I am a long-time detailer, not a professional, but, have cleaned and detailed vehicles for my personal vehicles and others for over 40 years. I am OCD when it comes to cleaning a vehicle, especially my own. Over the years, I have used many wax/polish products, from the old Raindance wax and Dupont 7 auto polish, to now, McGuire's Gold Class wax and F-11 Topcoat. I wax/polish my vehicles , on average, once every 6 weeks, due to living in the extremely hot and humid south. I had used Gold Class wax exclusively, until I ran across F-11 Topcoat (about 3 years ago), so now I alternate between the two. I have tried many products over the years that claimed to last through so many washes and weather, but, never had great results until I bought the F-11. NOTE: I am not an employee of Topcoat, nor do I have any family or friends that work for them. This is just a great product for all exterior surfaces of your vehicle and it does last. I have noticed my 13 Altima, that I have owned since new, beads water weeks after normal washing and rains. You can use this F-11 on glass, plastic, rubber, paint and interior surfaces (I have not used it on my leather seats). It does not leave residue, like wax, but, does leave a nice protected surface. I first purchased F-11 in a 16 ounce spray bottle kit, and got about 9 applications from it. I am now on my 2nd gallon. This stuff is a little pricey, but, it does bring great results. Look at the videos TopCoat.store .
Be sure to use microfiber towels for best application and removal results. Hope this helps keep those RAMs looking good!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Collinite 476S still beads after five months since the last application. I am in the hot and humid South as well and my truck sits outside. There is no way that I would wax every 6 weeks; that is why I use the Collinite 476.

agjr85

Reaction score
There's so much out there now.
i'm trying Gyeon Wet Coat right now and, man easy application and instant results.

If it doesn't have Si02, I don't even bother with it now days.

Toothninja

Reaction score
Do you professionals use regular car washes? Or do y’all hand wash every time it gets dirty or a rain shower?? I mean after you've applied the top coats of your choosing of course!

Powerman1960

Reaction score
Do you professionals use regular car washes? Or do y’all hand wash every time it gets dirty or a rain shower?? I mean after you've applied the top coats of your choosing of course!
I have always used Blue Coral wash and microfiber towels, with great results. I also use a cordless blower (with a padded end to prevent accidental scratches) to remove excess water from the exterior. As with top-coats, there are many available products out there. I'm sure any name-brand will perform nicely.

burntomaro

Reaction score
Just picked up my truck a few days ago and am going to be doing the full wash clay wash and add several layers of wax in a few weeks. After doing some research I see people talking about the nanoskin clay mits. I like how easy and quick they are to use over the traditional clay bar but do these cause any marring? My truck build date is 8-19 so I realize there probably isn’t a whole lot of contamination so one of these mitts may work just fine as long as I rinse it after each panel. What have you guys done?

Sjay

Reaction score
This is what I have been using CarGuys Hybrid Wax Sealant works very well. If you have any questions just email them. A company that actually responds to customers emails.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have always used Blue Coral wash and microfiber towels, with great results.
I too use blue coral and have for many years.
before I purchased a foam cannon, I would, and still do, fill up my Mr. Clean wash gun with blue coral for really decent results.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just picked up my truck a few days ago and am going to be doing the full wash clay wash and add several layers of wax in a few weeks. After doing some research I see people talking about the nanoskin clay mits. I like how easy and quick they are to use over the traditional clay bar but do these cause any marring? My truck build date is 8-19 so I realize there probably isn’t a whole lot of contamination so one of these mitts may work just fine as long as I rinse it after each panel. What have you guys done?
I did Clay Bar shortly after I got my truck (the traditional Clay Bar). There was actually quite a bit of contamination on the paint from shipping, etc..

burntomaro

Reaction score
I did Clay Bar shortly after I got my truck (the traditional Clay Bar). There was actually quite a bit of contamination on the paint from shipping, etc..

Yeah I decided to go the traditional bar method. Pops picked up 3 bars for his new Silverado for some reason so I’ll just use one of those.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I used some of this(Autoglym Magma) when I got mine. I do it every spring. My Rebel wasn't too bad but when I had my 2014 Outdoorsman it turned it completely purple :LOL:

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
Yeah I decided to go the traditional bar method. Pops picked up 3 bars for his new Silverado for some reason so I’ll just use one of those.

Nice truck - I just ordered mine on Friday with almost identical specs - I added the ramboxes. Are you planning to put on PPF?

Danny_TheHouseCook

Reaction score
This is what I have been using CarGuys Hybrid Wax Sealant works very well. If you have any questions just email them. A company that actually responds to customers emails.
I've had FANTASTIC results with Car Guys wax and Spray On Hybrid. Holds up well. Nice shine.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
anyone have any experience using Griot's vs Adam's?
My impression of Griots products that I have used is that they are good for garage collections to keep them shiny, but they are not good for everyday use. The best example that I can provide is the Brilliant Finish Car wash. If you use Brilliant Finish to wash a vehicle that is just a little dusty; then the finished product does come out sparkling and looking good. If you use Brilliant Finish to wash a vehicle that had road grime, mud, etc. ; then you better have a good standby soap to wash again. I'm not saying Griots doesn't make decent products at all, but I just think their products are more for getting a show car sparkling rather than cleaning and protecting your daily driver.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My impression of Griots products that I have used is that they are good for garage collections to keep them shiny, but they are not good for everyday use. The best example that I can provide is the Brilliant Finish Car wash. If you use Brilliant Finish to wash a vehicle that is just a little dusty; then the finished product does come out sparkling and looking good. If you use Brilliant Finish to wash a vehicle that had road grime, mud, etc. ; then you better have a good standby soap to wash again. I'm not saying Griots doesn't make decent products at all, but I just think their products are more for getting a show car sparkling rather than cleaning and protecting your daily driver.
that's some interesting feedback. i've been using griot's for about 2 years. I used to just use meguier's before griot's, which wasnt terrible. I usually clean my vehicles often, so i guess i never noticed how well griot's holds up and keeps the cars looking after many months. Everything i've read tells me that Adam's is the better product, so i might start switching over as i run out of my current stuff

Users who are viewing this thread