5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defrost only half working

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good morning. I just used my front windshield defrost this morning to get rid of the morning dew down here. After a few minutes I noticed the passenger side was clear as can be but the drivers still fogging up. I pulled over and felt the air coming out and to the right of the rear view mirror was blowing hot, to the left was blowing more like room temp. How does that even happen? And just so you don’t ask I had the zones synced and both were at 80 degrees, auto, front defrost button pressed.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good morning. I just used my front windshield defrost this morning to get rid of the morning dew down here. After a few minutes I noticed the passenger side was clear as can be but the drivers still fogging up. I pulled over and felt the air coming out and to the right of the rear view mirror was blowing hot, to the left was blowing more like room temp. How does that even happen? And just so you don’t ask I had the zones synced and both were at 80 degrees, auto, front defrost button pressed.
I think they may have a software glitch in the way the doors position for defrost. When its humid, my right side clears up right away; but it takes FOREVER for the driver side to clear. I haven't complained to my service department about this yet but is is super annoying. I normally crank my temperture to 80 + and set the fan to high to help it along; but really, it should not take so long to clear the driver side.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think they may have a software glitch in the way the doors position for defrost. When its humid, my right side clears up right away; but it takes FOREVER for the driver side to clear. I haven't complained to my service department about this yet but is is super annoying. I normally crank my temperture to 80 + and set the fan to high to help it along; but really, it should not take so long to clear the driver side.

Yeah you can put your hand on the vent on the passenger side and it’s super hot, on the drivers side it’s blowing hard but it’s just ambient temp air.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a recall for improper HVAC equipment being installed on 15 trucks built between November 15th and 16th 2018. The improper installation may cause the defrosting of the windshield to not work. It's posted in the TSB / Recall section of the forum

grindinghalt

Reaction score
This happened when I first bought my truck. i noticed that my wife had set her side to a different setting than mine. It's like there's a software defect where if you're not running in Sync, it only runs defrost on one side. I put the a/c to Sync and both sides immediately cleared up.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Someone posted a TSB / Recall in another thread -- take a look at that and see if yours falls under it.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The other day, my driver's side was not clearing (like usual). I went to the Climate page on my Uconnect and selected another setting (to deselect defrost) and then selected defrost...the driver side cleared up right away after I did that. Normally I use the knobs to select defrost and I always have the driver side problem; so I tried the UConnect climate setting and it worked. I have done this now a couple times and seems to work. Could somebody else try this to see if you can duplicate the results?

Neokane

Reaction score
The other day, my driver's side was not clearing (like usual). I went to the Climate page on my Uconnect and selected another setting (to deselect defrost) and then selected defrost...the driver side cleared up right away after I did that. Normally I use the knobs to select defrost and I always have the driver side problem; so I tried the UConnect climate setting and it worked. I have done this now a couple times and seems to work. Could somebody else try this to see if you can duplicate the results?
I hit the front defrost button when I noticed this today. Next time, I will try the front defrost from uconnect screen. See if the outcome is the same.

Neokane

Reaction score
I cant even imagine the safety issues related to this if was the middle of winter anywhere in the norther states!

Ram79hemi

Reaction score
Has anybody has this issue fixed at the dealer ?
My truck has had this problem for weeks now.

Neokane

Reaction score
I haven't had the issue occur again, but with fall coming, I am sure I would be able to replicate the issue.
let us know what you find out.
Also, chat with @RamCares and let them know. I need to follow up with them when it occurs again.

boofizzle

Reaction score
Was just looking into this similar issue here. When I have morning dew/fog on the windows, I hit the defrost button and the entire windshield fogs up making it worse. It then seems to take forever to finally clear the windows. I've tried turning off AC, turning off recirc, raising temps, etc. The only thing that seems to help it speed up is if I crack the windows to allow outside air in.

It's quite irritating to not be able to hop in and go.

On one occasion while driving this summer, a thunderstorm popped up and my windshield completely fogged up (while running normal AC). I had to pull over and fiddle with it to get it to defog. I have not had that same condition occur again, but not much similar driving conditions lately.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those pics above are crazy...My truck definitely does not do this. That's a MOST DEF dealer visit...blend door is not activating properly. Would drive me Batt Shiat if my truck did this.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
both sides of mine work -- so I've split the difference :)

but also have the 8.4 not the 12

Users who are viewing this thread