5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF Useage

Rhombus

Reaction score
Just put 3100 miles on my 2020 Bighorn. Mostly highway miles. The truck used 1/2 tank of DEF. This is MUCH more than I used on my 2014 Ecodiesel. Just curious what others are seeing? Thanks.

Seaeco

Reaction score
2500 miles with just under a half a tank used.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Under what conditions does the truck use more DEF? Driving unloaded and taking it easy, or working the engine hard?

rorischak

Reaction score
Also, where is everyone purchasing their DEF? I have bought from Amazon but I am sure there has to be another way. My guess is that if I stop at one of the large truck stops I can pick some up.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I have used 3/4 of the original factory filled DEF at about 2900 miles.

According to dealership Service Manager, the truck will use *Most* amount of DEF when idling. He obviously recommended Mopar DEF, but then proceeded to stay, Blue DEF at walmart would be fine - as long as its not an old product (fresh stock).

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Just put 3100 miles on my 2020 Bighorn. Mostly highway miles. The truck used 1/2 tank of DEF. This is MUCH more than I used on my 2014 Ecodiesel. Just curious what others are seeing? Thanks.
Exact same with mine.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
1/4 used at 1300 miles, should see over 5000 when full.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Walmart here locally has their own brand of DEF that's $8 for 2.5 gallons so that's not bad. Appears to have the same certification markings on the package as the Peak name brand stuff. Also, says it has a shelf life of at least 12 months, so no harm in stocking up a little.

The_Dude

Reaction score
You guys can go to a nearby truck stop and fill up. Your local pilot for example.

PolarXJ

Reaction score
I've almost got 2,000 miles on mine and it has used about 3/8 of a tank.

NAPA auto parts had a sale on DEF last week $7.49 for 2.5 gallon jugs.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a total of ~4200km on my truck now and after this weekends long road trip I was below 1/2 of a tank of DEF. I added 2 gallons and it is just about full now.

myles

Reaction score

9k miles on my truck, seems to get about 5k miles or so

Emg006

Reaction score
Has anyone have their def level fluctuate? I was driving after a dealer visit was over 1/4 tanks, then it dips into red, went up, back down-a couple times, now it’s just under 1/4 and no movement sense.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
Has anyone have their def level fluctuate? I was driving after a dealer visit was over 1/4 tanks, then it dips into red, went up, back down-a couple times, now it’s just under 1/4 and no movement sense.
My def gauge stays pretty consistent, haven't noticed anything like you mention. I have noticed that my volt meter drops a little low when driving but comes back up to normal when I decel for some reason.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed the def level fluctuating by about 1/4 tank after returning home from the north. It would go from just below half to below 1/4, I think it had something to do with the extreme cold I was in the 2 days before. I added 2 gallons and it holds steady now.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi @Emg006 - if you decide to address this with your dealer, please be sure to let us know via PM!

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/