5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF Fluid

Silverado333

Reaction score
Hello!

First time poster here!! I purchased a new 2019 Ram 3500. This is my first diesel truck, and it was purchased to tow a Travel Trailer. I'm pretty new to towing too - so lots of new experiences for me. My question is the DEF Fluid. I've never even heard of it until I bought this truck. I've had my truck for almost 3 weeks - My DRF gage says 1/2 full. I bought case of DEF Fluid for what I think is a good price at Costco. When I add it - how do I know when its full, When it spills over?? From what I understand, the gage is not very accurate. Is there a way to check the actual fluid level?

For those of you that have experience - I'd appreciate your shared knowledge!!

THanks!!

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Silverado333. You might have better luck with your question over on the HD Rams forum, which is run by the same webmaster.

Firebird

Reaction score
Don’t stockpile DEF, as it has an expiration date. What you do have, keep indoors and out of the heat, it will spoil. A tank of DEF will last roughly 10,000 miles depending on how much you tow. Enjoy the new rig!

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Hello!

First time poster here!! I purchased a new 2019 Ram 3500. This is my first diesel truck, and it was purchased to tow a Travel Trailer. I'm pretty new to towing too - so lots of new experiences for me. My question is the DEF Fluid. I've never even heard of it until I bought this truck. I've had my truck for almost 3 weeks - My DRF gage says 1/2 full. I bought case of DEF Fluid for what I think is a good price at Costco. When I add it - how do I know when its full, When it spills over?? From what I understand, the gage is not very accurate. Is there a way to check the actual fluid level?

For those of you that have experience - I'd appreciate your shared knowledge!!

THanks!!

They discuss Def mileage on the HD Ram forum. Looks like around 700mpg is average. I’d also check the maintenance/service section in the user manual for max quantity.

Def Mileages

Users who are viewing this thread