5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decisions

RockJock

Reaction score
Guys this is driving me nuts. I have most of the options I want to order locked down in my mind. These are what I can't decide on:

3.21 or 3.92
5.7 or 5.7 eTorque
Anti slip or Elocker

I know the characteristics and pros/cons of each option. I go back and forth as far as what would be best for my needs. I have plenty of time to decide, but I like to have things figured out as soon as I can. This is assuming there are no major changes for 2020. Maybe I'll have to flip a coin ;)

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You may have to flip a coin, opinions will vary!:) Myself, I opted everything you have listed on the right. 3:92 for as much low-end and tow as possible, e-torque because that is what I was forced to get at time of order but glad I did, and the e-locker so I know for sure the rear diff is locked in when slipping through fields and pastures at low speeds. I opted these cause they fit my needs perfectly. We are all different on what we want our trucks to do. Best of luck, lots of hard decisions on these new Rams!(y)

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3.21 or 3.92
If you NEEDED the 3.92 you'd get it no questions asked. If you don't need it, don't get it. Go with 3.21.

5.7 or 5.7 eTorque
The bad etorque stories dominate, but there are plenty of good stories.

Anti slip or Elocker
Easy peasy. eLocker. The truck comes standard with TCS BLD, essentially an electronic Antispin. Plus, I believe the Antispin is a clutched system. If it's anything like the clutched Getrag LSD I had, it'll be a slight drag on fuel economy.

Reaction score
We won't know whether the Etorque was a good for choice for several years.

On elocker vs anti-spin, unless you're going to do a lot of off road my vote is anti spin. In fact that is why I got the etorque - so I could get the AS.

Traction control is way overrated. I took a test drive with an open diff 19 on a wet day and the sales guy said mash it. The drive wheel spun free and we fish tailed with the tsc light flashing. Then he put it in awd and told me to repeat - we got a few squeaks and a some minor tugs on steering wheel. So great, with an open diff you need to be in awd whenever it is wet, which the manual says will impact mpg.

When I got my 19 with AS I repeated the experiment in 2wd, and it was nearly as stable as the open-diff in AWD. Then with AWD enabled it was like dry pavement.

That's the beauty of AS its continuously covering your butt - 2wd, 4wd, awd... and it's not electronic!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys this is driving me nuts. I have most of the options I want to order locked down in my mind. These are what I can't decide on:

3.21 or 3.92
5.7 or 5.7 eTorque
Anti slip or Elocker

I know the characteristics and pros/cons of each option. I go back and forth as far as what would be best for my needs. I have plenty of time to decide, but I like to have things figured out as soon as I can. This is assuming there are no major changes for 2020. Maybe I'll have to flip a coin ;)

3.21 vs 3.92: If you won't tow or put bigger tires on; then get 3.21. Otherwise get 3.92. Personally, I always buy the highest ratio available to maximize towing. However, I don't drive 85 MPH on the highways either...I'm more a speed limit +5 guy. A 3.92 geared 5.7 at 85 MPH is a thirsty beast.

5.7 vs E-torque: I don't have E-torque; but I would have bought it if it was available with the truck and options I wanted. I don't miss not having E-Torque either. I haven't seen any huge gains reported with it; but all it takes is a software update sometime in the future to change that. I didn't really look for an E-torque either because I figured it was just more stuff to break with little improvement in MPG.

Anti-slip vs E-locker: I have and prefer antislip because it is "always on" and ready to kick in when its needed. E-Locker is a nice option; but really the concept of an E-Locker is for off roading. If my truck was a farm or hunting truck I would probably want E-locker. However, my truck is mainly a street truck so I like the anti-slip to kick in when it gets wet or when I decided to floor it. I would rather not to have to turn something on to have the mechanical advantage because you usually need it when you aren't thinking about it.

RockJock

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I tow occasionally. I don't see myself towing more than 3000 lbs. I'd consider the 3.92 because I enjoy accelerating and making the most of on ramps. I'm sure I don't NEED it. Whether the fun factor outweighs the MPH hit for me is what I'm struggling with.

Most of my driving is highway or interstate. Probably as much as 90% of it. Would I see much of a benefit from eTorque? Maybe not. I still see it as an interesting option.

LSD would probably be better for winter driving on Wisconsin roads. I drive through fields to cut firewood. Elocker might come in handy there. LSD should give a more frequent benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread