5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer did 119 in my truck?

How bad is it for a new truck with no miles to do 119mph?

• Total voters

SKINSTAINS

Reaction score
New here and I had some questions. I just took delivery of a 2022 ram rebel gt. I had ordered one but found one in Idaho about 3.5 hours away and picked it up. The dealer was unloading it when I put the deposit over the phone on Wednesday, and I picked it up Saturday. Supposedly no one except the sales person drove it (to get gas) but it had 23 miles so i pulled over leaving the dealership and the top speed set was 119mph! I took pix and contacted the dealer. They apologized and said "it wouldn't happen again" but how bad is this for my 80k truck, and can/should we do something about it? All I have is pix of mileage and top speed set, and then admitting to it saying it won't happen again.
We are a little upset. The dealership was really cool, and they were nice people and the purchase went smoothly but this part is not ok.

Attachments

• 20220330_082419.jpg
    20220330_082419.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 20220326_135407.jpg
    20220326_135407.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Resized_20220326_135407(1).jpeg
    Resized_20220326_135407(1).jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 95

SKINSTAINS

Reaction score
This is the text from the dealership...same person that supposedly was the only one that drive my truck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220330-085724_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220330-085724_Messages.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 125

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd be pissed and get something for it. I don't follow the break-in procedure to a T but 119 on a brand new truck without anything having a chance to mesh together and break-in is stupid. Of course it won't happen again, its not like they're going to re-deliver this truck. All that said, probably nothing happened but I would push for a free extended warranty as you don't know if there is any unknown damage.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty uncool. To be honest, I'm surprised they could get it up that fast. I thought DT's were speed-governed to a lower speed (I know 118 is the limit for the TRX, but not sure about regular DT's).
Either way, I bet they far-exceeded the recommended break-in RPM's as they accelerated to 119.

m.hamner

Reaction score
First of all, I'm not even sure how that's possible to get it to 119mph. I think these things are governed at 105. Either way, No one should be driving the truck, especially if it had a deposit on it when coming off the carrier for dealer delivery. If they're really sorry, ask what they're gonna do for you in terms of service or compensation and let that be the litmus test. That's just ridiculously unprofessional. Not only did they break the law, they did it in a customer's truck and most likely without regard to the break in period. I'd bring that up. Get the bumper to bumper warranty for free.

The break in period for the truck (assuming gas) is:

Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.

While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.

The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Maintenance Procedures” in “Maintaining And Caring For Your Vehicle.”

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Dang, I wish mine could hit 119. GTs must have a higher top speed than other trims, besides the TRX

HemiDude

Reaction score
Mine said exactly 119 when I took delivery. My SRT Challenger said 120 when I took delivery. I doubt it was your dealer, it is either a software default when new, or something done at the factory

SD Rebel

Reaction score
HemiDude maybe right, it could be a software default or something like that, some sort of calibration at the factory put that number on there. Did you actual confirm they had a person admit to driving it at those speeds?

However, if true, I would be pissed, that doesn't come close to following the break-in as per the manual. But in the end, it depends on how quickly that got there, my guess based on that high top speed is they probably weren't too nice about it. Likely wasn't up to temp before they were red lining the motor between the gears to get to that speed without needing a large amount of open highway.

If proven true, I would definitely ask for an extended powertrain warranty, I would then pay attention to any unusual oil consumption. There should be next to zero oil consumption on these engines.

SKINSTAINS

Reaction score
Mine said exactly 119 when I took delivery. My SRT Challenger said 120 when I took delivery. I doubt it was your dealer, it is either a software default when new, or something done at the factory
I hope that's what it is ...is that possible? If so I would absolutely apologize to them. Does anyone know? Also, would it record on the truck computer somewhere when it recorded that speed? If I could download that at the dealer here that would be good

HemiDude

Reaction score
I was pretty hot when I took delivery of my SRT. My dealer had actually had it transferred in for me from a different dealer so it was, at the time, a matter of he-said she-said. I drove that car thoroughly immediately and felt like no damage had been done, and my selling dealer threw in a free car washes for life LOL.

if I had not remembered that, I probably would've had the same response when I picked up my GT a couple of weeks ago

SKINSTAINS

Reaction score
HemiDude maybe right, it could be a software default or something like that, some sort of calibration at the factory put that number on there. Did you actual confirm they had a person admit to driving it at those speeds?

However, if true, I would be pissed, that doesn't come close to following the break-in as per the manual. But in the end, it depends on how quickly that got there, my guess based on that high top speed is they probably weren't too nice about it. Likely wasn't up to temp before they were red lining the motor between the gears to get to that speed without needing a large amount of open highway.

If proven true, I would definitely ask for an extended powertrain warranty, I would then pay attention to any unusual oil consumption. There should be next to zero oil consumption on these engines.
Thank you...I will.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be pissed and get something for it. I don't follow the break-in procedure to a T but 119 on a brand new truck without anything having a chance to mesh together and break-in is stupid. Of course it won't happen again, its not like they're going to re-deliver this truck. All that said, probably nothing happened but I would push for a free extended warranty as you don't know if there is any unknown damage.
Modern vehicles don't need "break in" like older vehicles or fresh engine rebuilds. If you saw how they drive them off the assembly line at factory you would probably **** yourself.

HemiDude

Reaction score
If anyone else here with ability to could check their TopSpeed on their new vehicle, I would be interested to see what the results are

SKINSTAINS

Reaction score
I have to say, this sucks that it happened, and I will try to get an extended warranty which is all I'm really thinking I need for it to be right, but I am looking into wether it could be a fault Still, with his "it's a fun truck...I realized that when I took it to get gas" comment, and his responses, I'm thinking they prob.did do 119. I appreciate all the responses and can say, even though I'm a nube here because I just got my rebel, I will be supporting this site indefinitely. Thank you for the comments and help/info. Makes me feel better to have other owners to reach out to.🙏

SKINSTAINS

Reaction score
If anyone else here with ability to could check their TopSpeed on their new vehicle, I would be interested to see what the results are
Yes please! I will 100% apologize to them for anything and everything and send THEM a compensation gift if that is/was the case.

Users who are viewing this thread