5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead battery, Vacuum pump cycling on, stuck in 1st gear, A/C not working

Aggiect01

Reaction score
My truck wouldn’t start a few days ago so I attempted to jump it with a jump box with no luck. I had to manually disengage the transmission into neutral so I could push my truck back out of the parking spot to jump it from my 5500. It started right up but now the A/C doesn’t blow cold, the check engine light is on along with electronic stability control light, and to top it off the truck won’t shift out of 1st gear (I’ve tried to shift manually via the gear shift buttons with no luck) any ideas? 2.5 years old 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 19,500 miles.

* when I attached the jump box I notice that the antilock brake vacuum pump was continuously cycling on and off possibly draining the battery. I unplugged it multiple times from the pigtail connection with no luck

Attachments

• 292735C0-085E-4A5E-9D34-0A759667F332.jpeg
    292735C0-085E-4A5E-9D34-0A759667F332.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 19

Aggiect01

Reaction score
After a dead battery, it can take a few hours for things to come back to life and behave properly.

Put the battery on a charger and go away for a few hours and see what happens.
I used a battery tender trickle charger and it showed fully charger and on maintain light. I tried starting it again with no luck

Aggiect01

Reaction score
My truck wouldn’t start a few days ago so I attempted to jump it with a jump box with no luck. I had to manually disengage the transmission into neutral so I could push my truck back out of the parking spot to jump it from my 5500. It started right up but now the A/C doesn’t blow cold, the check engine light is on along with electronic stability control light, and to top it off the truck won’t shift out of 1st gear (I’ve tried to shift manually via the gear shift buttons with no luck) any ideas? 2.5 years old 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 19,500 miles.

* when I attached the jump box I notice that the antilock brake vacuum pump was continuously cycling on and off possibly draining the battery. I unplugged it multiple times from the pigtail connection with no luck
Well I am answering my own question. I purchased a new AGM Interstate Battery from Costco today for $175 instead of having my truck towed to the dealership and waiting days/weeks for an answer. The new battery fixed the problem so far however the check engine light is still on. A/C works and truck shifts out of 1st gear. I never thought that a bad battery could cause so many problems in these Ram trucks.
* Now I have to find it if Chrysler will cover the cost of the battery I bought.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well I am answering my own question. I purchased a new AGM Interstate Battery from Costco today for $175 instead of having my truck towed to the dealership and waiting days/weeks for an answer. The new battery fixed the problem so far however the check engine light is still on. A/C works and truck shifts out of 1st gear. I never thought that a bad battery could cause so many problems in these Ram trucks.
* Now I have to find it if Chrysler will cover the cost of the battery I bought.
Keep us posted with the engine light. Best of luck with recovery cost.

Users who are viewing this thread