5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash Dimming

__JAG__

Reaction score
New 2022 1500. 8” screen. Headlights on auto.
When my headlights come on, the dash lights do not dim right away. They eventually will. But it might be 5-10mins into the drive. I’ve tried dimming though the dimmer switch next to the headlight switch and it does nothing. Once they do finally dim, the dimmer switch works.

Anyone else notice this problem?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are you using the right-most dimmer switch? It’s the one furthest from the headlight knob.

1662946997324.png

Last edited:

__JAG__

Reaction score
I'll try and take some video next time it happens.

__JAG__

Reaction score
Well I think I know what is going on.
1. You cannot dim the dash during the day. Odd, I think.
2. There must be different sensors that turn on the headlights, and that dim the dash. I think is odd as well, and I think the first vehicle I've had that does this.
I find myself wanting the dash dimmed at dusk. The headlights are on, but its not dark enough for the dash to dim.

Dgulia

Reaction score
I think you are right. My Grand Cherokee is same way

jessed1

Reaction score
2. There must be different sensors that turn on the headlights, and that dim the dash. I think is odd as well, and I think the first vehicle I've had that does this.
I find myself wanting the dash dimmed at dusk. The headlights are on, but its not dark enough for the dash to dim.
Hmm, my 2021 with an 8.4" dims during the daylight hours when I have my lights on. I just noticed this on Sunday - I was struggling to see the route on my display and realized the lights were on (about 10 am). I could have played with the dimmer switch but I just turned off my lights (I had been driving all morning).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wish my dash would do that. With my tinted windshield the headlights come in pretty early.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Exactly. I find that short period at dusk to be very annoying with the dash lights so bright and no way to adjust. My 4th Gens never did this. You would think it would be an easy software update to fix. Can’t believe more haven’t complained about that and they haven’t issued a fix for it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread