5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash Cluster Lighting Mod - Simple

tac63

Reaction score
Morning All,

Just did a small modification last week that I thought I would share in case anyone was interested. I replaced my dash cluster lens recently as the original one was spotting bad and my warranty deductible was the same as the lens cost. I have a blue streak pearl Laramie and really loved the limited blue gauges but can't justify the cost for a little bit of blue. However it got me thinking that I wanted to see what I could do with the "RAM" lettering at the top of the cluster to bring a little blue in.

When I got the replacement lens I noticed the "RAM" at the top of the cluster was just held in with 2 small plastic clips. I lightly heated these clips with a lighter for just a second or two and popped the piece out easily. I then had a decal maker (Prajekt13 on FB or IG) for the 5thgens make decals for these letters in oracal reflective blue (matches some small blue interior pieces I have wrapped) off measurements I made. (He does have these dimensions and can make more in any color if anyone is interested in this). He sent those as well as ones I bought for the upper dash cubby and upper glovebox "LARAMIE" lettering over and I went to installing them. They all fit perfect and install is very simple.
Cluster Lettering.jpg

Once I had these installed on the "RAM" letters I really wanted some OEM looking blue backlighting as well (this doesn't have to be done together, if you only want the backlighting or only the lettering you can do one without the other). I purchased some blue "Gel Filter Colored Overlays" off Amazon (brand Pangda) which is essentially a colored plastic sheet that is meant to go over lighting to change the color output. I got a pack of 9 11.7"x8.3" sheets for $12, still have 95% of it unused (they sell these in blue, green, red, orange, yellow). I placed the sheet inside the RAM piece and cut to fit so it was tight but layed flat. I then used hot glue to help guarantee the sheet stayed flat and in place (may not be needed, but gave a sense of security). Then I placed the "RAM" piece back into the cluster (it snapped back in somewhat) and used a small drop of gorilla glue gel (important to use the gel) to make sure it stayed secure, though I'm sure you could use hot glue here also.

Lettering Film.jpg

After taking the cluster and lens out (very very simple, took maybe 15 minutes max in the driveway with a screwdriver and plastic trim tool), I snapped the old lens off (8 or 9 plastic tabs) and snapped the new one on and reinstalled.

Cluster Lettering Day.jpg Backlit Lettering.jpg

I know some may not like it, but figured I would show/explain how it was done and what it looked like in case anyone was interested. If anyone is worried about the ability to return it to stock with only the original lens (as you don't need to buy a new lens), its no problem as I did it. The vinyl lettering easily removes and the blue filter film would pop out with the hot glue with fairly minimal effort. I actually had to redo it as the film has a protective sheet on it that I forgot to remove and it was easy to do so without damaging anything.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
That is sweet!! I don’t think I’m gonna take my cluster apart just to do that, but if I ever have to take it apart for any other reason I’ll definitely do this mod in the process! Thanks for the write up!

tac63

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments! I didn't make a write-up on the cluster removal as there is a very good video on youtube already, I'm adding the link for anyone interested.

jonnyrebel88

Reaction score
That is awesome! If you don't mind me asking, how much was the cluster lens? Mine was scratched when it was getting detailed and I have been wanting to swap a new one in.

tac63

Reaction score
The cluster lens ran me $95 plus tax at my dealer. I found them cheaper online, however there are 10 or so different lens part numbers so instead of the nightmare of trying to figure out which one and then find that one, I just gave the dealer my VIN and they got the right one. The lens part is not only the lens but also the black trim piece it connects to, hence the higher price. Still high for what it is, but that's the differences in the parts.

jonnyrebel88

Reaction score
The cluster lens ran me $95 plus tax at my dealer. I found them cheaper online, however there are 10 or so different lens part numbers so instead of the nightmare of trying to figure out which one and then find that one, I just gave the dealer my VIN and they got the right one. The lens part is not only the lens but also the black trim piece it connects to, hence the higher price. Still high for what it is, but that's the differences in the parts.
Ahh ok, I might just do this as well. It is kinda high for a piece of plastic. I got a screen protector for my 12" screen and it came with a free gauge cluster one as well so I will probably throw that on when I switch them out. Thanks man!

tac63

Reaction score
Ahh ok, I might just do this as well. It is kinda high for a piece of plastic. I got a screen protector for my 12" screen and it came with a free gauge cluster one as well so I will probably throw that on when I switch them out. Thanks man!
Agreed, high for a piece of plastic, I remember being able to get the lens for vehicles past for less than $20. Couldn't stand the scratches in the lens from the previous owner though so was worth the spend for me. Intersting idea on the gauge cluster screen protector, I might need something like that for mine. Can't stand those tiny scratches.

Ram1976

Reaction score
Morning All,

Just did a small modification last week that I thought I would share in case anyone was interested. I replaced my dash cluster lens recently as the original one was spotting bad and my warranty deductible was the same as the lens cost. I have a blue streak pearl Laramie and really loved the limited blue gauges but can't justify the cost for a little bit of blue. However it got me thinking that I wanted to see what I could do with the "RAM" lettering at the top of the cluster to bring a little blue in.

When I got the replacement lens I noticed the "RAM" at the top of the cluster was just held in with 2 small plastic clips. I lightly heated these clips with a lighter for just a second or two and popped the piece out easily. I then had a decal maker (Prajekt13 on FB or IG) for the 5thgens make decals for these letters in oracal reflective blue (matches some small blue interior pieces I have wrapped) off measurements I made. (He does have these dimensions and can make more in any color if anyone is interested in this). He sent those as well as ones I bought for the upper dash cubby and upper glovebox "LARAMIE" lettering over and I went to installing them. They all fit perfect and install is very simple.
View attachment 86099

Once I had these installed on the "RAM" letters I really wanted some OEM looking blue backlighting as well (this doesn't have to be done together, if you only want the backlighting or only the lettering you can do one without the other). I purchased some blue "Gel Filter Colored Overlays" off Amazon (brand Pangda) which is essentially a colored plastic sheet that is meant to go over lighting to change the color output. I got a pack of 9 11.7"x8.3" sheets for $12, still have 95% of it unused (they sell these in blue, green, red, orange, yellow). I placed the sheet inside the RAM piece and cut to fit so it was tight but layed flat. I then used hot glue to help guarantee the sheet stayed flat and in place (may not be needed, but gave a sense of security). Then I placed the "RAM" piece back into the cluster (it snapped back in somewhat) and used a small drop of gorilla glue gel (important to use the gel) to make sure it stayed secure, though I'm sure you could use hot glue here also.

View attachment 86100

After taking the cluster and lens out (very very simple, took maybe 15 minutes max in the driveway with a screwdriver and plastic trim tool), I snapped the old lens off (8 or 9 plastic tabs) and snapped the new one on and reinstalled.

View attachment 86101 View attachment 86102

I know some may not like it, but figured I would show/explain how it was done and what it looked like in case anyone was interested. If anyone is worried about the ability to return it to stock with only the original lens (as you don't need to buy a new lens), its no problem as I did it. The vinyl lettering easily removes and the blue filter film would pop out with the hot glue with fairly minimal effort. I actually had to redo it as the film has a protective sheet on it that I forgot to remove and it was easy to do so without damaging anything.
That looks awesome! thanks for sharing. I may just do that to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread