5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash Cam?

Matrixband

Reaction score
Anyone here install a dashcam? Seems at least with the new models, with all the cameras they have, they would have a good dashcam as an option. Just hook it up to a front and rear-facing camera. I have a Backvue dashcam with my other car. It works well, has both front and rear cameras. The things I've e seen! (and recorded)......

4x4Laramie

Reaction score
Agree, and I was just thinking about how this should be an option in all vehicles today (and likely will be soon).

I still need to figure out how to use a sunshade with my dash cam. I want to use Park mode, but don't want to melt my cam...

dwalme

Reaction score
I just put a blackvue 650 with front and back cameras in mine.

I bought it years ago for a car I sold right after I got it. For some reason I never bothered to use it in cars since.

Install is really easy. Pull off the interior A pillar trim (2 bolts) and the trim panel under the steering wheel (2 bolts) and wire it right in.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is a TON of info on Dashcams. Just search BLACKVUE and you should see several pop up. If you are looking to buy one, get a Blackvue DR750X. There is also a ton of info on the installation process and fuse panel connections. Happy to help if you need it...I've been installing electronics in cars since the late 70's.

HMC8403

Reaction score
I have used Blackvue for a long time; current model the DR900s-2CH. On my previous truck I mounted the rear camera on the side due to the sliding rear window; This time I made a mount so it could be mounted in the center.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 243
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 242

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only a few hundred of us have installed one.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Street Guardian, Dual Camera model on my 2008 Big Horn and
the Updated Version on my 2021 Laramie. I was also looking at going with
the Viofo 129 with the 4K front and 1080P rear, But I did not know what rear
camera Cable it used. I had to get an eight meter USB cable to reach the top
of the Bed Cap I have.

Remember, You kind of get what you pay for. There are lots of CHEAP knock-off
Dashcams out there. Also check Dashcamtalk.com for recent new Cameras and
Reviews of Models.

Malodave

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a Street Guardian, Dual Camera model on my 2008 Big Horn and
the Updated Version on my 2021 Laramie. I was also looking at going with
the Viofo 129 with the 4K front and 1080P rear, But I did not know what rear
camera Cable it used. I had to get an eight meter USB cable to reach the top
of the Bed Cap I have.

Remember, You kind of get what you pay for. There are lots of CHEAP knock-off
Dashcams out there. Also check Dashcamtalk.com for recent new Cameras and
Reviews of Models.

Malodave
The VIOFO 4K set-up is very nice and well priced for those that cannot afford, or don't want to spend the money on a Blackvue or Thinkware.

brenan00

Reaction score
Anyone here install a dashcam? Seems at least with the new models, with all the cameras they have, they would have a good dashcam as an option. Just hook it up to a front and rear-facing camera. I have a Backvue dashcam with my other car. It works well, has both front and rear cameras. The things I've e seen! (and recorded)......
If you had a tazer dt, would this work for you? There is a group buy ($50 off) going on till the end of the month and a couple on sale in the want adds on the forum. Not sure if this has been proven. Later

The Tazer DT says it can. I don’t have it yet to say for certain.

Their quote.....
  • Disable camera lockout – use the backup camera and/or added cargo/front/undercarriage camera at any speed for any length of time

Yes, the Tazer DT will do that, as I have it set so I can turn on any camera, at any speed. I believe that the timeout is based on speed, i.e., it will turn off > 10 mph. But with the Tazer DT you can override the OEM function.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you had a tazer dt, would this work for you? There is a group buy ($50 off) going on till the end of the month and a couple on sale in the want adds on the forum. Not sure if this has been proven. Later
Not sure what your point is, but a TAZER does nothing when it comes to dash cams!

brenan00

Reaction score
Not sure what your point is, but a TAZER does nothing when it comes to dash cams!
I was thinking this would turn the front camera on to run continuously. I know it wont store a clip.
Not really sure how a dashcam works, I never had one.
Would would those tips I found activate the camera to run constantly? I figured alphaobd would not store that and it would be on of the live functions and the tazer would have to be plugged in for this work.
I do not even have a truck yet, just trying to learn from what I have read and seen here on the forum.
I fix things by trade, so I like to help.
Thank you for looking at this and making sure, I don't brake anybody's truck. Later

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was thinking this would turn the front camera on to run continuously. I know it wont store a clip.
Not really sure how a dashcam works, I never had one.
Would would those tips I found activate the camera to run constantly? I figured alphaobd would not store that and it would be on of the live functions and the tazer would have to be plugged in for this work.
I do not even have a truck yet, just trying to learn from what I have read and seen here on the forum.
I fix things by trade, so I like to help.
Thank you for looking at this and making sure, I don't brake anybody's truck. Later
Understood. The purpose of a dash cam is to record the footage of an accident or vandalism to be able to show the police and/or insurance company. Since the vehicle will never record, it can never take the place of a dash cam. If you are interested once you get your truck, pm me and I’ll happily help you with your selection and installation.

brenan00

Reaction score
Understood. The purpose of a dash cam is to record the footage of an accident or vandalism to be able to show the police and/or insurance company. Since the vehicle will never record, it can never take the place of a dash cam. If you are interested once you get your truck, pm me and I’ll happily help you with your selection and installation.
Mahalo for the offer.
Would the tazer be the way to go if you just wanted your camera running continuously? Without any other hardware. Later

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mahalo for the offer.
Would the tazer be the way to go if you just wanted your camera running continuously? Without any other hardware. Later
I think you will find, once you buy your truck, that you will not want your camera running continuously anyway ;)

Reaction score
2021 have a street guardian front and rear mounted camera my question on the 2021 ram 5.7 don't know what fuses to hook up to. Need contant power and keyed power when running. what number fuse and what one is what

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
2021 have a street guardian front and rear mounted camera my question on the 2021 ram 5.7 don't know what fuses to hook up to. Need contant power and keyed power when running. what number fuse and what one is what
I believe that F66 is IGN power and F33 is constant

moseriv

Reaction score
Bought the Viofo a119, polarizing lens and 128mb as card from Amazon for around $130. Now I just need to figure out how to install it into the dimmer mirror…

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Bought the Viofo a119, polarizing lens and 128mb as card from Amazon for around $130. Now I just need to figure out how to install it into the dimmer mirror…
It is SUPER EASY to run it to the fuse panel. The A119 is a decent camera. The A129 is MUCH better.

Users who are viewing this thread