5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash cam dash mount

Ram_athorn

Reaction score
Hi. I did a search prior but didn't see anything. Curious if anyone has seen a dash cam (and/or mount) for the little storage tray on top of the dash? I'd love to just mount a dash cam there since the cigarette plug is there as well. Be clean and easy versus the traditional way. Any help/experience is appreciated. Photo below for reference of the area I'm trying to describe.
Thank you!

81uXNFF283L._AC_SX522_.jpg

ccf2mb

Reaction score
Just installed my Bulletpoint. Waiting for all the Ram Mount stuff to show up. Will be using it for my cell phone and possibly a gopro when we go on trips.

Ram_athorn

Reaction score
Just installed my Bulletpoint. Waiting for all the Ram Mount stuff to show up. Will be using it for my cell phone and possibly a gopro when we go on trips.
Yea I saw the Bulletpoint brand. Was curious if there was any (in general) dash cam options out there on the market that you may have come across? I only see the kind that mount to the windshield.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Blackvue DR750X camera on Bulletpoint Rubigrid is planned for mine. The camera's mount rotates so you can use it up or down. Have parts but not found time to install, will probably post some photos when I do. I'd recommend those for consideration.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could probably 3D print one that bolts in up there with a surface for a dash cam. Might have to be specific to each cam due to how they attach to the windshield, but one with just a flat surface to have some 3M tape on would be easy.

atxmike

Reaction score
Hi. I did a search prior but didn't see anything. Curious if anyone has seen a dash cam (and/or mount) for the little storage tray on top of the dash? I'd love to just mount a dash cam there since the cigarette plug is there as well. Be clean and easy versus the traditional way. Any help/experience is appreciated. Photo below for reference of the area I'm trying to describe.
Thank you!

View attachment 137491
Is that a factory phone holder? If not- how about some info on it? I would like to have one like it.
Thanks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What's wrong with mounting it on windshield as designed

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depending on how regulation(s) are interpreted, it may actually be illegal in some places - obstruction of view, etc. Not my area of expertise, that, but also things glued to glass tend to fall off.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on how regulation(s) are interpreted, it may actually be illegal in some places - obstruction of view, etc. Not my area of expertise, that, but also things glued to glass tend to fall off.
Properly applied, it should not fall off for years, at which point, it's probably a good idea to replace it anyways.

As far as obstruction of view, can place it so it is behind the rearview mirror. I have mine placed up high just to let of rear view mirror. Only view it would block is of birds. And there is an USB adapter available that plugs I to mirror harness and fits behind the mirror cover so there is no need to route wires down the pillar, or hang out in open.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
the one sticking up on the dash might not be legal also.
it blocks more view then mounted near the rear view mirror

today's 3m sticky's stay on the glass a lot better than years gone by.

Ram_athorn

Reaction score
Nothing wrong, just figured what's easier... windshield mounting, then running the power cable up through the headliner, down the side, through the dash, etc. Or just have a mount off the dash tray with the cigarette plug right there. I have the traditional style in my wife's car, but thought maybe the dash tray could be utilized for that purpose. :)

Ram_athorn

Reaction score
Properly applied, it should not fall off for years, at which point, it's probably a good idea to replace it anyways.

As far as obstruction of view, can place it so it is behind the rearview mirror. I have mine placed up high just to let of rear view mirror. Only view it would block is of birds. And there is an USB adapter available that plugs I to mirror harness and fits behind the mirror cover so there is no need to route wires down the pillar, or hang out in open.
Oh there's a USB adapter? I'll have to look more into this then; I did not know. Appreciate the insight!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Ram_athorn

Reaction score

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's the first mockup of the planned install.
dashcam25.jpg
Photo is from my eye view, and it's clearly not going to obstruct anything except my view of the speaker grille.

As for hiding it behind the mirror, there is no such place.
mirror25.jpg
You could maybe put it in front of the roundish bump that the mirror mounts into and it would only increase that obstruction a little. If you put it up high, it will obstruct the view of traffic lights.

Frankly, I think y'all are doing it wrong and the OP and I have independently come up with a better idea. It's called a dashcam, not a windowcam.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the first mockup of the planned install.
View attachment 137796
Photo is from my eye view, and it's clearly not going to obstruct anything except my view of the speaker grille.

As for hiding it behind the mirror, there is no such place.
View attachment 137797
You could maybe put it in front of the roundish bump that the mirror mounts into and it would only increase that obstruction a little. If you put it up high, it will obstruct the view of traffic lights.

Frankly, I think y'all are doing it wrong and the OP and I have independently come up with a better idea. It's called a dashcam, not a windowcam.
If this obstructs your view of traffic lights, you got some funky traffic light placements in your area. Have had my dash cam there for about two years, and not once have I ever had tlit be in the way of anything I needed to see. PXL_20220827_140326093.MP.jpg

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
My concern with placing it on the dash would be the legibility of license plates. However it is simple enough to set it up and go for a couple of day and night drives to see :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online