5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dang, engine light

chad202

Reaction score
12,500 miles and engine light came on. Used my rough country to check for codes and it didn’t show any. Started it up about 30 minutes later and no engine light. Parked it for about an hour, started back up and engine light back on. Crap

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yellow engine light?

It's usually a emission warning, either a vacuum hose is leaking or a sensor/valve related to your smog equipment is having intermittent issues. Hopefully you can get it to stay on so you can get a code and have it checked out.

That light is rarely serious, just irrating to look at. On my last truck, once I found out the code was a emission valve in the gas tank, I cleared the code and waited until I had time to see the dealer to have it fixed. It took 2-3 months before the light came back on.

chad202

Reaction score
Yellow engine light?

It's usually a emission warning, either a vacuum hose is leaking or a sensor/valve related to your smog equipment is having intermittent issues. Hopefully you can get it to stay on so you can get a code and have it checked out.

That light is rarely serious, just irrating to look at. On my last truck, once I found out the code was a emission valve in the gas tank, I cleared the code and waited until I had time to see the dealer to have it fixed. It took 2-3 months before the light came back on.
Okay tks. And yes it’s yellow.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Okay tks. And yes it’s yellow.

I wouldn't worry about it until the light turns back on. Likely a sticky emissions valve in the fuel tank that is intermittently setting off the light. You can buy a $12 Bluetooth OBD reader on Amazon and use a Phone App to check and clear codes. It's a good way to see what the problem is and clear the code if it isn't really an issue. You can also save the code and show it to the dealer should the light be intermittent.

Luckily the RAM has a 5 year 60K powertrain warranty, and emissions stuff is part of that.

chad202

Reaction score
well it turned back on and gave me a message on the way home from work saying battery management will shut off power to certain equipment. Looked at voltage and it was down to 11.5. Called dealership and they said don’t drive it so waiting on Mopar roadside assistance to come get it from my house.

Users who are viewing this thread