5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting the ANC mic wires

Leadbedr

Reaction score
I know I read on here somewhere which wires to cut for the mic wires, but can't find it again.
Does anyone know what color the mic wires are?
For the base stereo if that matters.
Thanks

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wouldn’t suggest cutting the wires. They are simple enough to unpin/release from the harness. You can also purchase a bypass harness which is simply a jumper harness with those wires already disconnected. This way you can go back to stock without having to resolder those wires.

cstep7263

Reaction score
In my opinion it’s needed because it cuts out the outside noise and make your cabin more quieter

FFemerson

Reaction score
In my opinion it’s needed because it cuts out the outside noise and make your cabin more quieter
Yeah but if you’re adding aftermarket amplifiers and subwoofers it causes them to make a loud droning noise constantly.
I disconnected mine and have noticed no additional road noise

Futureboy61

Reaction score
A loud droning noise may not be coming from the Active Noise cancellation system but rather the EOC (Engine Order Cancellation) system. EOC noise cancellation is an RPM regulated noise cancellation algorithm that reduces cabin noise from the engine/transmission/drivetrain that makes it's way into the cabin at idle and slow speeds. Those noises are typically low frequency "droning" type noises just like they are being described on this forum. EOC type of noise cancellation is specifically tuned per vehicle and does not typically interact with a ANC system. The non-interaction between these systems is because these systems are "watching" each other digitally in the OEM sound system. There maybe more than one microphone system in your truck so be cautious as to which system microphones and wires you disconnect. OEM infotainment systems these days do a lot and it can be folly to start disconnecting things as all things these days are connected.
As an alternative to snipping ANC mic wires I would suggest if you want to install an aftermarket amplified system that you keep the original system in tact and use the speaker outputs of the current system as inputs into your aftermarket system. Most aftermarket amps have input gain adjustments to handle high voltage inputs. You could always pad down the original system speaker outputs with after market pads that match your after market amp inputs. You need to know what your doing to do this so you don't blow anything up but it can be done. Adding in an aftermarket parametric EQ along with your amplifier may be a smart move because you maybe able to filter out the audio noise that is bugging you plus equalize your new audio system sound to your liking. A good stereo installer shop should be able to help you with this or do this for you if need be. I would suggest that you snip/disconnect your microphone wires as a last resort.

Danny_TheHouseCook

Reaction score
A loud droning noise may not be coming from the Active Noise cancellation system but rather the EOC (Engine Order Cancellation) system. EOC noise cancellation is an RPM regulated noise cancellation algorithm that reduces cabin noise from the engine/transmission/drivetrain that makes it's way into the cabin at idle and slow speeds. Those noises are typically low frequency "droning" type noises just like they are being described on this forum. EOC type of noise cancellation is specifically tuned per vehicle and does not typically interact with a ANC system. The non-interaction between these systems is because these systems are "watching" each other digitally in the OEM sound system. There maybe more than one microphone system in your truck so be cautious as to which system microphones and wires you disconnect. OEM infotainment systems these days do a lot and it can be folly to start disconnecting things as all things these days are connected.
As an alternative to snipping ANC mic wires I would suggest if you want to install an aftermarket amplified system that you keep the original system in tact and use the speaker outputs of the current system as inputs into your aftermarket system. Most aftermarket amps have input gain adjustments to handle high voltage inputs. You could always pad down the original system speaker outputs with after market pads that match your after market amp inputs. You need to know what your doing to do this so you don't blow anything up but it can be done. Adding in an aftermarket parametric EQ along with your amplifier may be a smart move because you maybe able to filter out the audio noise that is bugging you plus equalize your new audio system sound to your liking. A good stereo installer shop should be able to help you with this or do this for you if need be. I would suggest that you snip/disconnect your microphone wires as a last resort.
100% agree with @Futureboy61

GWillings

Reaction score
Using the LLJ bypass is the most easiest way to bypass the ANC which WILL cause issues with after market audio being installed. You HAVE to bypass the ANC. Adding a parametric EQ is going to allow you to use that EQ on the droning noise and the popping. Lastly, back in the 70's yeah, you have cut wires, as well as for a while in the 80's, but since there is absolutely NO need to cut wires. Cutting wires only creating more work to do. There are adapters out there for literally everything in car audio. In my 2015 Ram I installed an amplified speaker system, I cut zero wires. Removed it just as easy and waiting to install into my 2020 1500 Big Horn. Need a sub box, need to order new high level inputs for my audio control LC-4.800, and the ANC bypass from LLJ.

Users who are viewing this thread