5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom Modular Intake Tube

Smerberj

Reaction score
Hello y'all,

I got bored last week and decided to build a custom intake tube. I found a 4" diameter AirAid U-Build it kit for $99 on ebay, bought a couple of Spectre 4" couplers from amazon, and finally a high flowing drop in filter. This thing was extremely easy to make and I had a lot of fun doing it.
20200210_222929.jpg
20200212_184754.jpg
20200214_131209.jpg
20200214_132204.jpg

Smerberj

Reaction score
First driving impression, it doesn't take much gas pedal to get the truck moving anymore. That infamous Pentastar throttle lag is still there but is very minor from what I can tell. I took a trip on my usual route to work with the stock filter and intake tubing and drove home. I then installed my modular intake tube with the high flow filter and did the same drive, same weather/traffic conditions. Truck usually downshifts 3 times due to the steady grades on the highway, with the custom setup truck stayed in 8th gear all the way to my place of employment. Also, I reset the gas mileage gauge before I began each trip.

Stock air filter with stock air intake tube:
20200214_153834.jpg

AEM Filter with Modular Intake Tube:
20200214_153801.jpg

I was stupid and took the photos during different situations, the stock setup was taken while stopped in front of my house, the aftermarket one was taken just getting off the freeway, doesnt make much of a difference though because I live .7 miles off of the interstate. I'll keep y'all updated on the progress if you ask me to.

Smerberj

Reaction score
Took a picture of the inside of the MIT where you see all the bends. Rest assure it is still smooth!
20200212_181400.jpg

Big Red Rebel

Reaction score
Hello y'all,

I got bored last week and decided to build a custom intake tube. I found a 4" diameter AirAid U-Build it kit for $99 on ebay, bought a couple of Spectre 4" couplers from amazon, and finally a high flowing drop in filter. This thing was extremely easy to make and I had a lot of fun doing it.
View attachment 46634
View attachment 46635
View attachment 46636
View attachment 46637
Good work
Looks excellent
And you’ve already proven advantages
Hats off

Smerberj

Reaction score
Thank you guys. I have a 80mm Throttle Body coming next week. I'll be sure to do a review on that once it's installed.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the V6 throttle body in the same general area as the V8? I know the Hemi has a vertical TB and the V6 is horizontal but they appear to be in the same area. Just curious as that might open up options if all we need is an adapter.

Smerberj

Reaction score
Is the V6 throttle body in the same general area as the V8? I know the Hemi has a vertical TB and the V6 is horizontal but they appear to be in the same area. Just curious as that might open up options if all we need is an adapter.
It is but like you said the Hemi is vertical and the V6 is horizontal.

Smerberj

Reaction score
But if they are in the same general area then an adapter theoretically could be made. Wonder if the Ram Airflow kit could be made to work with a 90* elbow.
It's worth a try. I'd suggest amazon because they let you return anything.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
But if they are in the same general area then an adapter theoretically could be made. Wonder if the Ram Airflow kit could be made to work with a 90* elbow.
Anyone know if the Ram Airflow kit will fit? Or can it be adapted to work? Any other word on if a CAI will be built for the Pentastar? That custom tube is impressive! But, wondering if there's a complete kit on the horizon...

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know if the Ram Airflow kit will fit? Or can it be adapted to work? Any other word on if a CAI will be built for the Pentastar? That custom tube is impressive! But, wondering if there's a complete kit on the horizon...
Probably not, I'm almost positive you can make the Ram Airflow work with an adapter. I ended up with a Hemi so I didn't have a v6 to try on.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
What did you do for your exhaust?
Corsa single out kit with the black exhaust tip, and then added a 18” length 5” diameter Vibrant resonator in the pipe upstream from the muffler. The resonator is removed due to being in the rear, in turn making the Corsa kit extreme sound level, and it was too extreme for me. I’ve got some posts in another thread of cold starts. The A/C ruins the original Corsa cold start video (putting the engine under load), but it gives you an idea of what the Pentastar sounds like.

Last edited:

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
K&N now makes an intake for the 3.6L. Giving it a shot - I’ll let you guys know how it works out.

Users who are viewing this thread