5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom "homemade" off-road protection?

Pcustoms

Reaction score
Last fall I sold my long-standing rig (Xterra) for a shiney new Ram. I was lifted, on 33's and protected by skid plates, custom bumpers and rock sliders. Since the aftermarket was week for Nissan, most items were custom designed and made (I even sold some to fund my projects)

Currently the Ram is lifted and on 34's, but looking a little vulnerable. Anyone have any plans, dims or even pics of skid plates and sliders?

Supposed to be below zero again this weekend, so it will still be a few months before I can start taking measurements and mocking up designs.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
dethoff makes a skid plate pretty solid i would love one made for my current set up. got measurements for what i need basically

Attachments

• 99C5D7A4-2462-4F8B-B595-31B6FB972D24.png
    99C5D7A4-2462-4F8B-B595-31B6FB972D24.png
    359.9 KB · Views: 109

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
dethoff makes a skid plate pretty solid i would love one made for my current set up. got measurements for what i need basically
Would like to make one of these out of plastic

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Attachments

• C9925673-B28B-4430-9F4C-BE18C8689496.jpeg
    C9925673-B28B-4430-9F4C-BE18C8689496.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 146

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think you’re answering a question I’ve had: does an aftermarket front bumper with a skid plate, combined with the factor skids, solve the problem the transmission and engine being vulnerable, or is something like the Dethloff also needed? I assume it’s the latter.

Likewise, is the Dethloff front skid alone, with stock bumper, adequate after removing the front air ram, or is the engine bay still pretty open from below? Again, I fear it’s the latter.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you’re answering a question I’ve had: does an aftermarket front bumper with a skid plate, combined with the factor skids, solve the problem the transmission and engine being vulnerable, or is something like the Dethloff also needed? I assume it’s the latter.

Likewise, is the Dethloff front skid alone, with stock bumper, adequate after removing the front air ram, or is the engine bay still pretty open from below? Again, I fear it’s the latter.
i have a huge gap infront. … even with dethoff skid plate …when its not raining i will take pics from undrr

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i have a huge gap infront. … even with dethoff skid plate …when its not raining i will take pics from undrr
Have you had some dry weather? I am interested in seeing what sort of protection there is…and isn’t. Thank you!

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you had some dry weather? I am interested in seeing what sort of protection there is…and isn’t. Thank you!
have not its been snowint. and raining seems tomorrow its clear day and will be under and show you

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not homemade but I think the ADD bumper has a good skid plate for the front. I haven't put it to the test but it seems pretty solid!

View attachment 120685

View attachment 120686
An after market bumper would be off kill for my needs, but if I were to get one, I think I'd go with the Stealth Fighter. It looks great. I just wish ADD would offer a way to mount 3" pods for fog lights in those side cutouts. I wrote them and they said that's not possible, and they recommended using a 30" light bar with a pod on each side instead. That would work, but those side cutouts just look like they'd be perfect for fog pods.

At least one person on the this forum mounted pods behind the mesh with a DIY bracket.

Last edited:

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
An after market bumper would be off kill for my needs, but if I were to get one, I think I'd go with the Stealth Fighter. It looks great. I just wish ADD would offer a way to mount 3" pods for fog lights in those side cutouts. I wrote them and their said that's not possible, and they recommended using a 30" light bar with a pod on each side instead. That would work, but those side cutouts just look like they'd be perfect for fog pods.

At least one person on the this forum mounted pods behind the mesh with a DIY bracket.
I saw that too. That's the one/only thing I don't like about it. I bought some small pods already, just need the time to mount them up.

Users who are viewing this thread