5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom Front Engine Skid Plate / Air Dam

Big3MG

Reaction score
I had a custom skid plate (actually, it’s an aluminum air dam) fabricated for my 2020 Rebel that fits perfect. A metal fab guy in town used heavy aluminum, had vents laser cut into it, and it’s mounted using two existing fasteners under the front bumper and two drilled holes on the frame using nutserts. He’s adding brackets that will strengthen the sides onto the frame as well. He bent the edges up on either side and also strengthened the center by welding a couple of aluminum brackets on the top side. It’s very well made. Pics attached. The thought is once mine is fitted correctly, he could make more with a pattern and offer them for sale that can be shipped. The buyer would have to mark, drill and attach two nutserts into the frame but that can be done in ten minutes with a harbor freight kit. I paid him $277 but it was worth it for the quality work.

Attachments

• 8A25F9C9-6692-4F45-B376-0A2E7DBAD1AE.jpeg
    8A25F9C9-6692-4F45-B376-0A2E7DBAD1AE.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 424
  • A3A4B90D-883F-46A2-8EA1-DD0C51DB1751.jpeg
    A3A4B90D-883F-46A2-8EA1-DD0C51DB1751.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 414

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
I had a custom skid plate (actually, it’s an aluminum air dam) fabricated for my 2020 Rebel that fits perfect. A metal fab guy in town used heavy aluminum, had vents laser cut into it, and it’s mounted using two existing fasteners under the front bumper and two drilled holes on the frame using nutserts. He’s adding brackets that will strengthen the sides onto the frame as well. He bent the edges up on either side and also strengthened the center by welding a couple of aluminum brackets on the top side. It’s very well made. Pics attached. The thought is once mine is fitted correctly, he could make more with a pattern and offer them for sale that can be shipped. The buyer would have to mark, drill and attach two nutserts into the frame but that can be done in ten minutes with a harbor freight kit. I paid him $277 but it was worth it for the quality work.

I'd be interested , Yes you should consider selling a few for him, maybe he can get a completed priced out kit, and it would look sweet powder coated in black too. Just make a few simple instructions how to mount it also, that could be a game changer right there..

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wanting to make something like that, just haven't had the time. Just to be clear though, it's a debris shield, not a skid plate.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been wanting to make something like that, just haven't had the time. Just to be clear though, it's a debris shield, not a skid plate.
what would make it a skid plate ? thicker metal?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
what would make it a skid plate ? thicker metal?
Not just thicker metal, but made from steel. With rigid mounting points. Sheet aluminum isn't a good material for a skid plate. It's too soft, and with only two mounting points on each end, it will rip right out of those holes if he were to come down on a log or rock. This shield looks like it will function very well to protect the front of the engine from road debris on the highway. Many of us non-Rebel owners who have removed our front air dams have been wanting something like this.

Big3MG

Reaction score
The one I had fabricated mounts on existing two front torx fasteners on the leading edge, two existing bolts on the rear that are about 6” apart (tapped using nutserts) and two points on either side using a fabricated bracket and a couple of nutserts into an existing bracket coming down on each side from the frame.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The one I had fabricated mounts on existing two front torx fasteners on the leading edge, two existing bolts on the rear that are about 6” apart (tapped using nutserts) and two points on either side using a fabricated bracket and a couple of nutserts into an existing bracket coming down on each side from the frame.
That was obvious from your pics. I wasn't knocking it for use as a debris shield. In fact, I'd love to have one for my Limited. I was just pointing out that it won't function as well as a steel skid plate for heavy off-road use. Aluminum tears much more easily than steel.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like this. Where did you get this? I'm willing to give it a shot.

With these 5th generation, they pushed the engine back more and it basically exposes the bottom front of the engine.

I'm going to offroad soon and it's always in the back of my mind that something will fly right into the engine bay. Hit a pully, or get lodged into another moving part.

2021 Ram Rebel
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Users who are viewing this thread