5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curt front mount hitch

Rich

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Curt front mount hitch on a truck yet?

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/31087

It looks like it would mount and hide nicely on the 1500. The only modification is a 2.5 inch hole cut in the lower front air dam. Since I don't have an active air dam, this would work on my truck.

I think it may help in some sticky situations when trying to maneuver a trailer in a tight space, has anyone used or installed one yet?

I'd like to see better pictures and hear from an owner that has installed one. Their online installation instructions look pretty simple and it wouldn't stick out and doesn't look to be too ugly once installed.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I have had the front mount hitch on my last three trucks for mounting a bike rack when pulling my camper. Other uses are as you described for putting a camper in a tight spot, etc. The only concern for the 1500 (other than the retractable air dam in some models) is ground clearance. I have hit certain parking curbs or if traveling to fast coming out of down hill drive way at 90 degrees sometime it would hit. A leveling kit or lift would most likely eliminate. When I had it on my F250 this was not a concern. front hitch.JPG

Rich

Reaction score
I have had the front mount hitch on my last three trucks for mounting a bike rack when pulling my camper. Other uses are as you described for putting a camper in a tight spot, etc. The only concern for the 1500 (other than the retractable air dam in some models) is ground clearance. I have hit certain parking curbs or if traveling to fast coming out of down hill drive way at 90 degrees sometime it would hit. A leveling kit or lift would most likely eliminate. When I had it on my F250 this was not a concern. View attachment 15415

Thanks for the info.

For the Curt, on the 2019 RAM 1500 it looks like it would mount behind the front bumper facia/air dam, and doesn't still out or lower than that, so if you were going to hit something, then you'd damage that facia/air dam.

From your description, it looks like it's best use is for an alternate bike mount location! :)

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

For the Curt, on the 2019 RAM 1500 it looks like it would mount behind the front bumper facia/air dam, and doesn't still out or lower than that, so if you were going to hit something, then you'd damage that facia/air dam.

From your description, it looks like it's best use is for an alternate bike mount location! :)
I'd look closely. Generally is never was problem but occassionally it would hit or rub. Below are two pictures. One is of my F250 with a hole I made in the air dam and the other is my previous EcoDiesel. You can see what it looked like and how far it stuck out on those models.
250hitch.jpg
ecofront.jpg

Rich

Reaction score
Thanks for these pictures. This is why I wanted to see if someone already tried it on their new RAM, to see how it looks there. It could be different between brands also, the one in my link is a Curt, and it may be different than a Drawtite or Reese, etc.

As an example, the Drawtite says it won't work with front tow hooks, the Curt doesn't care.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Thanks for these pictures. This is why I wanted to see if someone already tried it on their new RAM, to see how it looks there. It could be different between brands also, the one in my link is a Curt, and it may be different than a Drawtite or Reese, etc.

As an example, the Drawtite says it won't work with front tow hooks, the Curt doesn't care.
Yes you are right about the tow hooks. I forgot about that. I would really ask hard determined questions about having to remove tow hooks if you have them. I remember now that I was mislead on one the trucks and ultimately had to remove the tow hooks even though they stated you didn't have to. It could certainly be different this time around but if you have tow hooks and want to keep them and mount the hitch - I would speak with an engineer at Curt and make certain. I am starting to remember the conversation I had a few years ago. I was frustrated in many ways. If you find out one way or the other can you let me know because I may do the same thing to this truck.

Rich

Reaction score
Yes you are right about the tow hooks. I forgot about that. I would really ask hard determined questions about having to remove tow hooks if you have them. I remember now that I was mislead on one the trucks and ultimately had to remove the tow hooks even though they stated you didn't have to. It could certainly be different this time around but if you have tow hooks and want to keep them and mount the hitch - I would speak with an engineer at Curt and make certain. I am starting to remember the conversation I had a few years ago. I was frustrated in many ways. If you find out one way or the other can you let me know because I may do the same thing to this truck.

I looked at the Curt instructions online, and they don't mention removing the two hooks. They appear to mount differently than the drawtite.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I looked at the Curt instructions online, and they don't mention removing the two hooks. They appear to mount differently than the drawtite.
I just emailed Curt for my own curiosity about part number 31087 and if they could confirm it did not require removal of OEM tow hooks. It looks promising, but I've been down this road before and what I thought I had confirmed was wrong. If you've look at the install instructions then sounds promising. On my EcoDiesel I had to remove them. Remember not all 1500's come with tow hooks. I hope you are right! I'll let you know what Curt's response is.

Rich

Reaction score
Thanks and I'll look forward to your answer. I see etrailer says it works with tow hooks also, but I don't know if they have verified it, or are going by the OEM literature.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Curt front mount hitch on a truck yet?

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/31087

It looks like it would mount and hide nicely on the 1500. The only modification is a 2.5 inch hole cut in the lower front air dam. Since I don't have an active air dam, this would work on my truck.

I think it may help in some sticky situations when trying to maneuver a trailer in a tight space, has anyone used or installed one yet?

I'd like to see better pictures and hear from an owner that has installed one. Their online installation instructions look pretty simple and it wouldn't stick out and doesn't look to be too ugly once installed.
I just spoke with an engineer at Curt (Brad). Discussed our concerns about the front tow hooks. He stated they installed their hitch on vehicles that did not have existing tow hooks or Off Road Package so he couldn't confirm that we could keep the tow hooks with the front hitch. He asked me to take some pictures of where specifically the tow hooks mounted and he would be able to tell if the hitch uses the same spot or not. I'll try to get those to him tonight or tomorrow AM

Rich

Reaction score
I just spoke with an engineer at Curt (Brad). Discussed our concerns about the front tow hooks. He stated they installed their hitch on vehicles that did not have existing tow hooks or Off Road Package so he couldn't confirm that we could keep the tow hooks with the front hitch. He asked me to take some pictures of where specifically the tow hooks mounted and he would be able to tell if the hitch uses the same spot or not. I'll try to get those to him tonight or tomorrow AM

Thanks!

Looking closer at my truck, I'll have a problem with the front license plate mount. It appears to cover the exact spot where the receiver would poke through.

Yes, I have a Bighorn, off road package and tow hooks, plus a front license plate.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Thanks!

Looking closer at my truck, I'll have a problem with the front license plate mount. It appears to cover the exact spot where the receiver would poke through.

Yes, I have a Bighorn, off road package and tow hooks, plus a front license plate.
I sent picture to Brad (engineer) at Curt. He replied he received them and will get back to me.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious to see the answer on this as I want to install a front hitch on a 2019 limited I would like to order. The receiver hitch would be for a small personal plow and just want to confirm that the limited editions do not have the active air dam since it has air suspension and if anyone has installed one on a 2019 version

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Emailed with Brad last week and he stated they were getting a Ram with tow hooks into their shop to see what was required for the front hitch. I let you know as soon as he emails me back.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Received email from engineer at Curt and he stated they have fitted the front hitch on the Ram 1500 with tow hooks but the tow hooks can not be replaced with the front hitch installed. Therefore, front hitch works but the tow hooks will have to be sacrificed. Mentioned they may try to make another application that will allow the tow hooks to remain but not currently available. I encouraged them to update their website stating the front hitch is not compatible with tow hooks.

Rich

Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

Can't they just issue a warning that to remove or service the tow hooks, it would require removal of the front hitch?

It's good to see they will address it.

I wish my front plate wasn't in the way of this.

Last edited:

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

Can't they just issue a warning that to remove or service the tow hooks, it would require removal of the front hitch?

I am having a hard time understanding how the front plate is in the way. On my other Ram trucks this was not a problem. The hitch comes out below the bumper. Can you explain?
Thanks.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Also to be clear. When you do install the hitch you have to remove the tow hooks and will be unable to reinstall them with the front tow hitch installed. I have two posts above showing the hitch installed on two trucks. Note the Ram 1500 with the bike rack also has a front plate/tag installed.

Rich

Reaction score
We're they the new 2019 DT trucks? My front plate holder seems to cover the area where the Curt front hitch will exit just below the bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread