5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cross Country in a F-150 Lightning

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting blog post by a guy at Diamondback Covers that wrote about the experience of taking a Lightning cross-country. Bottom line - great if kept within 100 miles of your home base. Stick with ICE for now.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting blog post by a guy at Diamondback Covers that wrote about the experience of taking a Lightning cross-country. Bottom line - great if kept within 100 miles of your home base. Stick with ICE for now.

Yea, I can't see spending the money on something is going to be relagated to an around town runabout. If I'm spending 70 grand, better be able to at least take it on a road trip.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
While it's interesting to see someone go out and "see what happens" on an EV road trip, the result is fairly predictable. If I were considering a road trip in an EV, I'd be doing some serious planning ahead. I imagine most EV owners do the same.

I've never done this before, but this post got me thinking about a commute I do between our home in Texas and lake cabin in Michigan a few times per year. I used evnavigation.com, a website I discovered via quick Google search. According to the site, I'd have 7 stops for charging along this 1200-mile journey, with a total of 5 hours of charging time (longest stop = 55 min at a Walmart).

We're obviously a long way from parity between gas/diesel and charging stations, but the latter have made surprising strides in just a few years' time. A long trip is "doable" with planning and certain expectations, but not practical if frequent or when towing. The bright side: This will only get better!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The infrastructure is going to get there, but not overnight.

That being said, once Telsa opens their network to non-Tesla's, which they are slowing doing, I might be inclined to go with an EV truck in the near future. If you watch trips like these conducted with Tesla's vs Non-Teslas, you know what I mean.

kzielu

Reaction score
You have to start with something that will drive the infrastructure - right now EV trucks are for people that use them as daily drivers/family haulers/go get 2x4 from Lowe's twice a year so I need a truck, also seems viable options for working contracting jobs in construction. When ICE cars showed up years ago, there was no gas stations at every corner either...

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The range is degrading everyday since the battery was assembled. After a few years of ownership you'll be afraid to make a 50 mile round trip. But then you can just dump it on some poor sap who'll be on the hook for a $10,000 battery

Users who are viewing this thread