5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creaking noise in 5th gen ram limited longhorn

Reaction score
I have a 2021 ram 1500 limited longhorn with 1600 miles. Noticed in last 2 weeks a creaking noise coming from steering column. 1st dealer said was normal. I am at the original dealer where I bought the truck and explained what's going on. I just showed them them the thread i was reading and mentioned the clock spring. Will update after they are finished.

William1034

Reaction score
I have the same thing happening on my Limited. Can’t be ‘normal’, it is audible even with the stereo on

sgtsodo

Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie does this also, has since day one(2 years ago today actually!). I’d love to find a fix I can take to dealer.

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have a 2021 ram 1500 limited longhorn with 1600 miles. Noticed in last 2 weeks a creaking noise coming from steering column. 1st dealer said was normal. I am at the original dealer where I bought the truck and explained what's going on. I just showed them them the thread i was reading and mentioned the clock spring. Will update after they are finished.
No. Of course this is not normal.
Pls post back on what they do to fix it.

Thanks

sgtsodo

Reaction score
is the clock spring accessible at home by chance?

EDIT, looked up part lol. I was envisioning something else. ha

21LTD

Reaction score
Mine went in yesterday for a repair on this issue. The noise is gone. (y)

Per the work order, they replaced:

68254102AB "Column-Steering" - appears to be the bulk of the interior portion of the steering column (1 in diagram)
68275003AD "Bearing-Steering" - possibly the bearing that rests in the firewall (6 in diagram)

Work took a few hours, in and out same day at Uptown Ram in Dallas. The column was in-stock, the bearing took a few days to arrive once they ordered it.

My guess is that the steering column assembly also contains the clock spring, but I can't tell from the diagram.

Hope this is helpful for those that are waiting on parts / repairs.
65ff03a20429fc82c310c1164b626917.png

maxcatk2

Reaction score
Mine is in as well being worked on as we speak - for the second time (2021 1500, 6500kms). Does yours sound like a creaky grandma rocking chair during slight steering adjustments between 11 and 1 o'clock, and coming from footwell area? First time they replaced the lower shaft bearing at firewall and sound disappeared!!!! ....for about 2 weeks....then very slowly it returned just like last time and now grandma is back!

Next they will now try replacing the entire steering column which includes a new shaft bearing as well. From my own fiddling, the creaking appeared to be coming from the plastic sleeve on the end of the steering column that seats into the firewall bearing - at least in my case. Will let them try a full replacement and cross my fingers - or I will seriously lose my mind as the sound makes me positively mental, esp for a truck that didn't come cheap!

Other then these ongoing gremlins (+driver-side rambox randomly opening while driving!!), for now, I still love it! Pic added for gits and shiggles.
Happy new year all.

20200917_173000_resized_2.jpg

Last edited:

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is in as well being worked on as we speak - for the second time (2021 1500, 6500kms). Does yours sound like a creaky grandma rocking chair during slight steering adjustments between 11 and 1 o'clock, and coming from footwell area? First time they replaced the lower shaft bearing at firewall and sound disappeared!!!! ....for about 2 weeks....then very slowly it returned just like last time and now grandma is back!

Next they will now try replacing the entire steering column which includes a new shaft bearing as well. From my own fiddling, the creaking appeared to be coming from the plastic sleeve on the end of the steering column that seats into the firewall bearing - at least in my case. Will let them try a full replacement and cross my fingers - or I will seriously lose my mind as the sound makes me positively mental, esp for a truck that didn't come cheap!

Other then these ongoing gremlins (+driver-side rambox randomly opening while driving!!), for now, I still love it! Pic added for gits and shiggles.
Happy new year all.

View attachment 78882
Mine sounded like the rocking chair from the footwell. It was a zip tie mounted on top of the frame underneath the cab rubbing on the bottom of the cab. Check out the other post talking about the creaking. You will see what to look for. It’s a 5 minute fix, and it’s almost unbelievable that this is the cause, but I promise you it is.

MikeP

Reaction score
I went through months of this and finally found this thread. Completely fixed with a rag.

Driver Side Creak- Inside- Video | Page 5 | 5thGenRams Forums

Reaction score
Mine sounded like the rocking chair from the footwell. It was a zip tie mounted on top of the frame underneath the cab rubbing on the bottom of the cab. Check out the other post talking about the creaking. You will see what to look for. It’s a 5 minute fix, and it’s almost unbelievable that this is the cause, but I promise you it is.
I took my 2021 limited longhorn in last weekend due to grandma creaking in the steering column. Dealer said it was the clock spring so they replaced it. I left the dealer and as soon as I left I heard grandma creaking again. Going in again this weekend.

Reaction score
Clock spring replaced and no change. Same creaking noise. Going in again this weekend.
I went back to dealer for 3rd time regarding the creaking noise in my steering column. The 2nd clock spring still didn't fix the creaking noise even with the dealer putting some padding in. The dealer ordered a 3rd clock spring. Can I get someone from the admin staff at 5th gen ram to get involved if the 3rd clock spring doesn't fix the issue? I asked the service advisor what the next step is if the creak isnt fixed. He told me that I would need to call FCA to file complaint. That's BS.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I went back to dealer for 3rd time regarding the creaking noise in my steering column. The 2nd clock spring still didn't fix the creaking noise even with the dealer putting some padding in. The dealer ordered a 3rd clock spring. Can I get someone from the admin staff at 5th gen ram to get involved if the 3rd clock spring doesn't fix the issue? I asked the service advisor what the next step is if the creak isnt fixed. He told me that I would need to call FCA to file complaint. That's BS.
FCA does not run this forum so an admin can't do anything. @RamCares might be able to help.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We are sorry to hear that your concerns have yet to be resolved, @Bogies ram 1500. Please send our team a private message with your VIN so that we may investigate this further on your behalf, thank you!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread