5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked exhaust manifold

RHeller1

Reaction score
So sure enough, I knew I had a bad exhaust leak from the sound. I was thinking busted bolts like my 4th gen had. But then started reading some cases about cracked manifolds. Slid my snake cam between heat shield and manifold and spotted the crack. For anyone gone through this lately, how available is the part? Not a huge deal since it's still driveable, and actually was hoping to wait a bit longer to see if the drivers side cracks as well. Is there an updated part, or are they doing the typical mopar thing and just fixing the broken manifolds and not fixing the part so they no longer crack?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yours is the 2nd one I’ve heard of . I haven’t heard anything about them changing part numbers .

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Same manifold as the fourth gens. Lots available. Only permanent fix is aftermarket shorty headers, otherwise they will ping a bolt shortly from warping, or even crack again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RHeller1

Reaction score
I havent heard of any 5th gens breaking bolts yet. They put bolt plate supports on them now, It appears they are working. Problem now appears the manifold is the weak spot. I know the 2020 exhaust manifolds have different part numbers from the 2017, so I am not sure they are the same.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So sure enough, I knew I had a bad exhaust leak from the sound. I was thinking busted bolts like my 4th gen had. But then started reading some cases about cracked manifolds. Slid my snake cam between heat shield and manifold and spotted the crack. For anyone gone through this lately, how available is the part? Not a huge deal since it's still driveable, and actually was hoping to wait a bit longer to see if the drivers side cracks as well. Is there an updated part, or are they doing the typical mopar thing and just fixing the broken manifolds and not fixing the part so they no longer crack?
You out of warranty on you 2019?

RHeller1

Reaction score
nope, I got all kinds of warranty left, at 28k on the odometer. I am warrantied till 100k, so I am good for a while! I am just waiting at this point to see if the drivers side cracks as well so I can get them both done in one shot.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
nope, I got all kinds of warranty left, at 28k on the odometer. I am warrantied till 100k, so I am good for a while! I am just waiting at this point to see if the drivers side cracks as well so I can get them both done in one shot.
Got it...sorry to hear you're having this issue...keep us posted as this is the first one I've heard about.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd just take it in and get it fixed. I doubt both will crack. It's under warranty. Let them deal with it.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck is in the shop as I type for passenger side ticking/manifold exhaust leak. When I started it this morning (8°F temp out) I could actually see the exhaust coming out from behind the manifold heat shield. Will update with dealer findings.
Only 21k on the odometer 😡

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Truck is in the shop as I type for passenger side ticking/manifold exhaust leak. When I started it this morning (8°F temp out) I could actually see the exhaust coming out from behind the manifold heat shield. Will update with dealer findings.
Can't you just use a little caulk? 😂

Sorry to hear you're having an issue like this at 21K. However, it will be resolved under warranty and, as we all know, $hit happens and this is minor in the scheme of things.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't you just use a little caulk? 😂

Sorry to hear you're having an issue like this at 21K. However, it will be resolved under warranty and, as we all know, $hit happens and this is minor in the scheme of things.
Haha, I wish I could just do that and avoid the dealership. It will be taken care of under warranty thank God but my biggest concern is if or when the driver side goes will it still be under warranty 😬. If it is cracked and replaced I hope the new manifold is made by a different manufacturer.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well as suspected the passenger side manifold was in fact cracked, dealer had it in stock, replacement took about 3hrs. Fingers crossed that the new one lasts longer than 20k.
This is the third one my dealership has seen in the last month.....trending issue.

PXL_20210217_190254751~2.jpg

Last edited:

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I havent heard of any 5th gens breaking bolts yet. They put bolt plate supports on them now, It appears they are working. Problem now appears the manifold is the weak spot. I know the 2020 exhaust manifolds have different part numbers from the 2017, so I am not sure they are the same.
You are spot on, this is exactly what my service advisor told me. The bolt plate support is so solid it is not allowing the manifold to flex at all thus finding the weak spot of the manifold to crack. The manifold studs seem to be holding up now though.

Last edited:

Bearded_Yeti

Reaction score
Just dropped my truck off this morning too. 2020 Laramie with 9500 miles. Cracked passenger side manifold. This is clearly a bigger problem.

41magmag41

Reaction score
Sorry you guys are going through this. My girl has 51000, 19 bighorn, 4x4, 5.7, 3.92 rears, and not a lick of problems with the driveline.

KRField

Reaction score

I have a broken bolt on my 19 Ram upper bolt on cylinder 8. The trucks built pre 6/18 (I believe that is the date) did not have tie bars. Luckily the head is popped and the stud is not broke flush at the block.

Looking at shorty headers since I have 97k and well outside of warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread