5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cost to install T-Brake switch question...dealer said 7.0 hours? WTF? really?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ok, I keep seeing a labor time thrown around on various posts here of like 1.2 hours or close to that for trailer brake control switch install . I have the OEM part already, so this quote is LABOR ONLY! The local dealer I called quoted me a price of about $700 to install. He stated the flash was $70.00,(ok, reasonable), but the labor was 7.0 @ $140 p/h..and he would be nice enough to knock 1.0 off the job...I'm a little stunned at that labor time. What say you Ram guru's? I tried a different local Ram dealer, but they are shutdown.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you suggesting the dealership might be ripping you off? My bet is that's "book time", not real time

KRField

Reaction score
It is a relatively simple install. Why not install it and have them flash it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ok, I keep seeing a labor time thrown around on various posts here of like 1.2 hours or close to that for trailer brake control switch install . I have the OEM part already, so this quote is LABOR ONLY! The local dealer I called quoted me a price of about $700 to install. He stated the flash was $70.00,(ok, reasonable), but the labor was 7.0 @ $140 p/h..and he would be nice enough to knock 1.0 off the job...I'm a little stunned at that labor time. What say you Ram guru's? I tried a different local Ram dealer, but they are shutdown.
Omg, run, run run.... 7.0hrs is insane. I can't imagine book time is even 7 hours. It's probably no more than 30 minutes, worst case 1 hour if you don't normally do this type of stuff.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ya. I for sure know 7.0 is nuts. Just trying to see if anyone knows exact AllData labor time that dealer ,SHOULD be quoting me.

TVANVA

Reaction score
Sorry, to tell you but.....they are trying to rip you off. My guess would be that they feel they can get away with abusing you since the other local shop is closed. As a result, they are probably swamped with work so if you don't bite on the inflated price, there are plenty of other suckers.

The $70 to flash the code is an average "good" price. Same as what I paid to have mine done. More time to drag out and hook up than to make the actual change.

I did it myself, first time taking my brand new truck apart so, super cautious. Equipped with no more than the RAM instruction sheets. Took an hour.

An experienced, RAM trained shop mechanic? They should be fired if it really takes them an hour.

No cutting and splicing wires here. Scariest part is popping the dash panel loose. Recommend you do it yourself with some help from your friends here on the forum.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, to tell you but.....they are trying to rip you off. My guess would be that they feel they can get away with abusing you since the other local shop is closed. As a result, they are probably swamped with work so if you don't bite on the inflated price, there are plenty of other suckers.

The $70 to flash the code is an average "good" price. Same as what I paid to have mine done. More time to drag out and hook up than to make the actual change.

I did it myself, first time taking my brand new truck apart so, super cautious. Equipped with no more than the RAM instruction sheets. Took an hour.

An experienced, RAM trained shop mechanic? They should be fired if it really takes them an hour.

No cutting and splicing wires here. Scariest part is popping the dash panel loose. Recommend you do it yourself with some help from your friends here on the forum.
Yes I know they are TRYING to rip me off,. No way I would pay that for install. What I'm looking for here is if someone has actual documentation on what true labor time is for dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread