5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coolant Changed color

hunter1234

Reaction score
I picked up my new 2020 ecodiesel a few days ago. When I was at the dealer I popped the hood and saw that the antifreeze was a purple color, the truck had 60 miles on it. I just drove it about 200 miles and popped the hood and the color changed to a pink. My question is this right? With all the new coolants out there I am not sure if this is the color after running it or I have an issue like oil or something leaking into the coolant. I did send an email to the dealer and will follow-up with a call on Monday when they are open but thought I would try here to see if I indeed have an issue. Pic attached

Attachments

• Coolant.jpg
    Coolant.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 65

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just checked mine. Same deal so I'm guessing it's normal.

Attachments

• 20200801_192918.jpg
    20200801_192918.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 62

hunter1234

Reaction score
Thanks, that is reassuring - I'll assume it starts as the purple and then fades to the pink with use, still curious what the dealer will stay. All temps are correct or similar to my last engine and I now have 400 miles on with no leaks or changes so that is still a good thing. I will admit I do love the new engine over my 2016 Eco Diesel, Too early for definitive results and still in the break-in period but so far I am getting 4-5 MPG more than the previous model (though I do not have all my accessories on it yet). Definitely a new look under the hood, time will tell if they truly improve it over the previous generation.

hunter1234

Reaction score
An update from the dealership - That is a normal outcome. Heat cycles and how the engine circulates the fluid will cause the color to change. Lets me sleep a little better though it will bring to question do you add OAT orange or OAT purple (MOPAR?). A decision for a different time and hopefully not one I will have to make.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, this question has been asked by people for the last six years...it's completely normal. Now lets hope the bad oil coolers are behind us and we never see black coolant again
img_1972-jpg.51274

Reaction score
*BUMP*

this is coolant related so I figured I ask here instead of starting a new thread.

Have any of you noticed a coolant smell coming from engine bay after a trip?
My wife and I both have 2020 ED, she got hers first in February and I noticed the smell after about 3k miles or so
I got my truck in late July and I'll be damned if I didn't start smelling it after 3K+ miles.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Both my 15 and 20 smell like coolant when starting cold but not once warmed up. I'm actually not sure it's coolant, but just smells similar. I've never had a leak.

Is your coolant level maintaining? If it is then from my experience I wouldn't worry about it.

Reaction score
Both my 15 and 20 smell like coolant when starting cold but not once warmed up. I'm actually not sure it's coolant, but just smells similar. I've never had a leak.

Is your coolant level maintaining? If it is then from my experience I wouldn't worry about it.
our coolant levels are maintaining. can definitely smell it after you shut the truck off. I noticed it the other day in chic fil a drive thru when my window was down.

corunn

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the MOPAR part number is for a bottle of coolant on my 22 EcoDiesel? I get mixed results online and want to have a bottle on hand store in my Rambox just is case.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are two types of the same Mopar OAT coolant…100% and a 50/50 mix. You can pour the 50/50 straight in without diluting. Follow the dilution directions on the 100% jug as you’ll need to dilute with distilled water.

50/50 Mopar Part No. 68163849AB
100%. Mopar Part No. 68163848AB

And NEVER use green or orange antifreeze or you will have serious issues including overheating and possibly ruining the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online