5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed With UConnect - Uconnect 4 with 8.4" screen will NOT remember last media source at shut off.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
Hey folks - I know there are a few topics in here on this and I am hoping (sadly) to put this to bed for all of us that are irritated by this lack of feature.

Summary/Scenario:
  1. You have a vehicle equipped with the UConnect 4 series unit, 8.4" screen.
  2. You prefer to connect for media (music, etc) from sources like either Bluetooth to your mobile device, or even a USB source like an external hard drive.
  3. You select one of the above options after tripping through a few menu steps while the vehicle power is on and enjoy as you normally would.
  4. You turn off the vehicle
  5. You turn the vehicle back on and it has defaulted to Radio (and even some have reported Sirius/XM).
The inconvenience is having to go back and trip through menu choices every single time you stop and turn off the vehicle and back on.

In my case, I use both and its even worse with a USB hard drive because the song (file) will start over with each time....and its intermittent on whether or not it will "remember" you were on USB or not.

After chasing this for over two months with UConnect, I finally got someone who read my case with attention and responded directly to my query (see attached).

I am hoping this post A) gets stickied and B) catches the attention of potential buyers. I am serious when I say...had I'd known this prior to buying this truck, It would have deterred me. Maybe the newer series and other larger units do this feature but it is shocking that they cannot (and will not) do a software upgrade to improve this.

UConnectReply.png

Ratchet

Reaction score
2019 UC4 8.4 with Nav (and no memory seats). Mine stays on whatever source I left it on regardless if I push button start or remote start. What software revision are you on?

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Same. When I start my truck it’s a crapshoot for what’s going to pop up and start playing on the system.

RavenHemi19

Reaction score
Mine usually defaults to XM/Sirius. I thought it was because I tend to listen to that when my android auto isn't running.

Or maybe I tend to listen to XM because that's where it defaults....:unsure:

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
2019 UC4 8.4 with Nav (and no memory seats). Mine stays on whatever source I left it on regardless if I push button start or remote start. What software revision are you on?
I have the 8.4 with Nav also and mine has always stayed on whatever I have it on also. It must be an issue with the non-nav units

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the 8.4 with Nav also and mine has always stayed on whatever I have it on also. It must be an issue with the non-nav units
8.4 Nav changes. Left on AM and switches to CD player. Yes - the CD player (2019 had them). Might do it on others but listen to AM mostly with some FM.

397STROKER

Reaction score
Mine resumes where it left off with the USB drive having music on it.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
According to them, the latest version and there is no further upgrades.
I do NOT have Navigation with my unit (sans the compass lol), nor do I have remote start. I thought maybe that would make the difference but a respondent in here looks to have NAV and same issue. I have a 2021 RAM 1500 BigHorn

No matter what, all this tells me is its also not uniform, let alone advertised that "this unit" lacks "that feature".

Uconnect could do much better. MUCH better.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
Mine usually defaults to XM/Sirius. I thought it was because I tend to listen to that when my android auto isn't running.

Or maybe I tend to listen to XM because that's where it defaults....:unsure:
See, I do not have an active XM subscription, otherwise I wonder if it would default to that instead like yours. This obviously tells me the software has the ability to "default" to something. So even if it cannot recall last source, at least allow us to decide with the Default setting is via settings menu or the like. Just a less-than-adequate unit and more frustrating is you cannot easily swap to a better aftermarket unit.

sppb32

Reaction score
Mine always starts from the beginning on USB media, never remembers the last track, i don't remember either but i'm just old LOL

Curlymurt

Reaction score
I'll chime in... Big horn with 8.4 Nav and mine stays on XM or Radio where it was left, but not Bluetooth. Never tried a CD in my truck.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can send you the update file so you can try and update it to latest version.

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 8.4 Non Nav and mine remembers the last source (I only use XM, Radio, and USB) and also plays any USB song from where it left off. I'm not sure what the difference is, though I do have remote start. I haven't tried BT.

CDP110

Reaction score
I have the 8.4 Non Nav and mine remembers the last source (I only use XM, Radio, and USB) and also plays any USB song from where it left off. I'm not sure what the difference is, though I do have remote start. I haven't tried BT.
My 2019 Ram bighorn 8.4 nav style radio stays on same media source when shut off and turned back on but the theme background changes back to factory everytime.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 Ram bighorn 8.4 nav style radio stays on same media source when shut off and turned back on but the theme background changes back to factory everytime.
the update fixed that for me. I can send you link to file if you're comfortable updating it yourself with a usb, but if you brick it you're on your own.

CDP110

Reaction score
the update fixed that for me. I can send you link to file if you're comfortable updating it yourself with a usb, but if you brick it you're on your own.
Thanks but no thanks. I can live with it. It is wht it is.

Users who are viewing this thread