5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmation of oil filter part number

cowboy99

Reaction score
I still haven't been able to confirm which oil filter is correct for my 2020 Laramie w/ecodiesel. I've found 3 different filter numbers from Mopar and depending on the vendor, all 3 part numbers come up and say they fit the vehicle. Does anybody know for sure which is the correct filter or for the last 2, is it dependent on what was installed in the factory. Mopar has a pre-paid oil change special for 4 changes for $400. Looking at the price of the filters and oil to do it myself it comes out to about the same for the dealer to do it. I'd be ticked if I bought the package and the filters started selling for a normal price, like $10-15.

68229402AA: I believe this was the filter for the 2nd gen ecodiesel
68507598AA: It looks like this is just the replaceable filter media. Conflicting info on whether or not it can be used
68498720AA: This looks like filter media with the non-removable cap.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
diesel filters online- part #68507598AA for $43.95. delivered to me in 3 days, i have ordered it from them 3 times now.

HST

Reaction score
you do not have to pull the engine cover it is not in the way at all .

dougf

Reaction score
This is the first time I've seen that the procedure calls for a five minute wait after loosening the oil filter to the level of the o-ring, and allow air into the housing for proper drainage. I didn't do that on my first oil change. But, based on the explanation, it seems that this procedure could be done BEFORE removing the drain plug on the oil pan so that when the plug is removed, the filter oil will have already drained into the pan (or just loosen the oil filter before removing the drain plug, so that all the oil is drained when the flow ends.)

mrfreon

Reaction score
I still haven't been able to confirm which oil filter is correct for my 2020 Laramie w/ecodiesel. I've found 3 different filter numbers from Mopar and depending on the vendor, all 3 part numbers come up and say they fit the vehicle. Does anybody know for sure which is the correct filter or for the last 2, is it dependent on what was installed in the factory. Mopar has a pre-paid oil change special for 4 changes for $400. Looking at the price of the filters and oil to do it myself it comes out to about the same for the dealer to do it. I'd be ticked if I bought the package and the filters started selling for a normal price, like $10-15.

68229402AA: I believe this was the filter for the 2nd gen ecodiesel
68507598AA: It looks like this is just the replaceable filter media. Conflicting info on whether or not it can be used
68498720AA: This looks like filter media with the non-removable cap.

Here's a copy & paste from supplier IDparts.com

"The 2020+ oil filter is not removable from the filter cap requiring the whole assembly to be replaced at each oil change. This is because the oil filter cap has an integrated oil bypass valve."

This is the oil & filter I purchased:

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys what is the latest on the oil filters for our trucks? It looks like diesel filters online is the cheapest for the Mopar one. That retrofit kit at idparts appears to no longer be available. Is Napa or any other place making one yet?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The retrofit kit is probably pulled because they finally figured out that there was a reason FCA changed the design. I'm glad I didn't buy that kit.

As far as the filters, I still haven't seen any aftermarket solutions yet. My guess is that due to the complexity of the design, it may be quite a long while before any 3rd party companies start making these filters.

Thankfully the fuel filter is shared with Cummins 2019+ trucks so those should be coming down in price next year.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The gen3 filter is removable. it won't help though as the gen3 cap has a bypass valve integrated into it now and no one sells the separate media. The gen 2 filter and a gen2 cap will fit and work, it just won't have a bypass valve. which the gen2 also lacks...

there are 3rd party kits, most are oil filter relocation kits that use other spin on filters.

Users who are viewing this thread