5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compound Issues Related to Turbo Replacement?

Argie_W

Reaction score
I have a 2020 EcoDiesel with 75,000. This summer, I was losing power and the local PA dealership diagnosed a turbo replacement that was performed under warranty. After I got the truck back, I took a 450 mile road trip from PA to ME towing a 12’ cargo trailer. At about mile 250, the turbo hose clamp came off and the turbo hose disconnected from the engine. For the next 200 miles or so, I limped along without a turbo. The dealer in Maine replaced the clamp and said all was good.

This is where it gets messy. After about a day or two, the check engine light came on and I started experiencing surging, loss of power, stuttering and an overall inability to tow anything with any power. I took the truck back to the PA dealership who diagnosed the issues and told me I needed two new sensors…both the MAP and the Oxygen sensors. The dealership replaced both (not under warranty) and then called me again the next day to let me know the Charge Air Cooler was leaking and would also need to be replaced (also not covered under warranty).

Here’s my question. Is there any way the additional sensor and cooler issues are attributed to the shoddy turbo replacement repair? I’m also not convinced that the two sensors actually needed replacing if the charge cooler was leaking. Why wasn’t that diagnosed first?

Any comments from diesel mechanics who know this stuff are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

So, driving with the turbo plumbing disconnected essentially bypasses the air filter allowing dust and debris to enter your engine. Pulling over and getting a tow would've been the best option, but of course hindsight is 20/20 and I don't know what your circumstances were. Driving the truck in that condition could've definitely damaged some things, the sensors in the intake, the inside of your engine, the turbo itself, etc...

As for the charge air cooler (CAC), it could've gotten hit by a rock while driving and that could've caused a leak. That leak if left unchecked could've lead to the turbo failing prematurely. As an aside, a leaking CAC could cause similar symptoms to a failed turbo and it is possible that the dealership saw the 'low boost pressure' and immediately came to the conclusion that the turbo was failing and needed replacement.

After they initially replaced the turbo, did the truck run flawlessly? Freak accidents do happen, but I would almost guarantee that the clamp connecting the turbo wasn't installed correctly when the new turbo was put in. That dealership should do the right thing and help you out with the work that wasn't covered under warranty, however based on them not doing the job right the first time and missing the leaky CAC, I would hesitate to bring a vehicle there again. And if the CAC did cause all of this because of something like a rock from the roadway, or maybe a small fender bender on the front end, then unfortunately sh*t happens and that may be all on you.

Hopefully the situation can get resolved and you can be back on the road asap!!
And please give us an update when you pick the truck up, let us know how it’s running.

Last edited:
So, driving with the turbo plumbing disconnected essentially bypasses the air filter allowing dust and debris to enter your engine. Pulling over and getting a tow would've been the best option, but of course hindsight is 20/20 and I don't know what your circumstances were. Driving the truck in that condition could've definitely damaged some things, the sensors in the intake, the inside of your engine, the turbo itself, etc...

As for the charge air cooler (CAC), it could've gotten hit by a rock while driving and that could've caused a leak. That leak if left unchecked could've lead to the turbo failing prematurely. As an aside, a leaking CAC could cause similar symptoms to a failed turbo and it is possible that the dealership saw the 'low boost pressure' and immediately came to the conclusion that the turbo was failing and needed replacement.

After they initially replaced the turbo, did the truck run flawlessly? Freak accidents do happen, but I would almost guarantee that the clamp connecting the turbo wasn't installed correctly when the new turbo was put in. That dealership should do the right thing and help you out with the work that wasn't covered under warranty, however based on them not doing the job right the first time and missing the leaky CAC, I would hesitate to bring a vehicle there again. And if the CAC did cause all of this because of something like a rock from the roadway, or maybe a small fender bender on the front end, then unfortunately sh*t happens and that may be all on you.

And please give us an update when you pick the truck up, let us know how it’s running.

2021 EcoDiesel, thanks! Completely agree with you on all counts. I did not know at the time that the turbo hose clamp had failed and the hose come off…I learned that later from the dealership in Maine. The RAM EcoDiesel doesn’t have a boost pressure gauge for me to monitor output so essentially was unaware of the root cause.

This truck has been nothing but issues since I bought it. A whole host of issues including error codes like “Service Electronic Throttle Control” “Service Electronic Stability Control” “”Low Turbo Boost Pressure” etc.

Had the Z96 Fuel pump recall done as well. At this point, seriously thinking about getting rid of the truck and going back to a gasser.

2021 EcoDiesel, thanks! Completely agree with you on all counts. I did not know at the time that the turbo hose clamp had failed and the hose come off…I learned that later from the dealership in Maine. The RAM EcoDiesel doesn’t have a boost pressure gauge for me to monitor output so essentially was unaware of the root cause.

This truck has been nothing but issues since I bought it. A whole host of issues including error codes like “Service Electronic Throttle Control” “Service Electronic Stability Control” “”Low Turbo Boost Pressure” etc.

Had the Z96 Fuel pump recall done as well. At this point, seriously thinking about getting rid of the truck and going back to a gasser.
If you decide to stick with the ED, Banks and Scanguage have some digital gauge options that could provide some insight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Back