5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Class IV Mopar Receiver Hitch Vs E-trailer Class IV

thetalonguy

Reaction score
Hello,

I told you all I would be asking questions about towing/trailering.

Unbeknownst to me, I thought my new 20' Big Horn V8 Quad Cab would have come with a Trailer Receiver hitch much like my '17 Express had. I'm looking to tow a car in April from NY to Miami and back. Am shopping car haulers now as well.

Seems the Class III bumper hitch is of no good use for this. Was looking at the E-Trailer website and saw two Class IV receiver hitches; one that that says with Factory Hitch and one that says without factory hitch; both priced at $275. Assuming I'd have to go with the without factory hitch option, though I have a bumper hitch?

Also, looking on Rockauto.com, under the class IV trailer hitch section (looking at 2019 5th Gen section) , there are two Mopar options.

1. MOPAR 68240557AB Class IV Receiver Hitch, Class IV; CREW CAB W.B.2; 4WD $183

2. MOPAR 68265142AB FitsClass III; Exc. Class IV Receiver Hitch; Sedan/Quad Cab Short Wheelbase; 4WD
orClass III; Exc. Class IV Receiver Hitch; CREW CAB W.B.2 $149

Not even sure one of those apply to my quad cab application. And it seems a little weird that the Mopar hitches would be that much cheaper than E-trailer's offering.

Anyone add a hitch receiver on their truck that only came with the Class III bumper hitch?

Thanks!

illucid

Reaction score
Yup. Mine came with the class 3 bumper style as well (absolutely stupid - good for 3500lbs on a truck that can tow 11,000lbs??)
I had the dealer put the mopar class 4 on and it cost me around 500$ cdn. They have to remove the whole class 3 setup (where it bolts to frame etc.) and replace with the class 4 but it's well worth it. I would stick with the OEM if I were you.

thetalonguy

Reaction score
Yup. Mine came with the class 3 bumper style as well (absolutely stupid - good for 3500lbs on a truck that can tow 11,000lbs??)
I had the dealer put the mopar class 4 on and it cost me around 500$ cdn. They have to remove the whole class 3 setup (where it bolts to frame etc.) and replace with the class 4 but it's well worth it. I would stick with the OEM if I were you.
You wouldn’t happen to know the Mopar part # that you got? Not sure if you quad or crew?

Bubba33

Reaction score
Which trucks are coming with the class 3. Ive had a 14 , 16 , and 19 and all have had class 4. 2 are Laramie and 1 bighorn.

thetalonguy

Reaction score
Which trucks are coming with the class 3. Ive had a 14 , 16 , and 19 and all have had class 4. 2 are Laramie and 1 bighorn.

My 20 Big Horn V8 4x4 QC only came with class 3. So it seems base Big Horns only come with a class 3 unless you explicitly have an option that includes Class IV. I didn’t even think to ask considering my 17 Express V6 had a Class IV. Not sure about the models above BH.

I ended up going with the Class V from etrailer.com. I couldn’t seem to find any directions or more info on the Mopar Class IV. Was worried that I’d need to source my own hardware or there would be some kind of modifications to make it fit.
At least with the etrailer one, I knew it came with everything I needed and didn’t need to modify, with exception of flattening a couple of tabs on the spare tire heat shield, anything. It was pretty easy to install.

Ramster

Reaction score
My '19 Quad Cab came with Class 4. Had to get the Level 1 Group to get it.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, who would have thought these trucks would not all come standard with a Class IV? Looking at my window sticker; it appears that Class IV is standard equipment on a Laramie.

Users who are viewing this thread