5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrysler trying to cancel Max Care service contract on a 2007 Caliber

SirGeeks

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone on this forum can help provide guidance. I got passed around to 4 different departments for 2 hours on the phone today trying to get answers and the best I got was to call back tomorrow and talk to "Administration".

I bought a Dodge Caliber new in 2007. It came with a factory lifetime power train warranty and I purchased the lifetime Max Care service contract. In 2012, they cancelled the power train warranty because they didn't have record that the mandatory 5 year inspection was done. It was done, at the same time as other maintenance but only the other maintenance was logged into their systems. Unfortunately, I didn't have a copy of the inspection after purging a file cabinet so after going around with Chrysler for a while they refused to honor it and cancelled it. At the time, they told me it would not affect my Max Care contract. And it hasn't, until today. I've used the Max Care numerous times throughout the years and the latest was in March without issue. However, today the dealership had no record of it. I called Chrysler, was told that the Max Care was not valid without the factory lifetime powertrain warranty. However, there is nothing in my copy of the service contract that states that, in fact, the document states explicitly that this is "not part of the factory warranty". They also claimed that it was because the inspection wasn't done in 2012, however there is no requirement for inspection, the closest language I found in the contract was that I had to maintain the vehicle to recommendations. No mention of an inspection.

So here I am wondering why ,today of all days, they've decided to cancel it. If they were going to take that stance (even though my contact language doesn't permit them to) it should have been cancelled 8 years ago.

I feel like they just don't want to honor it anymore because now its getting expensive for them.

Does anyone have any additional background on this that can help me? Obviously, I want to get it reinstated, but if thats not possible, I want someone to provide me with a valid document that says it is actually tied to the factory warranty because my copy does not say that.

This whole thing is making me rethink my '19 Ram, makes me want to sell it and be done with FCA forever.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the Lifetime Powertrain on my 2008 1500 Big Horn. Used it for the water pump once.
Last summer I had the Tranny go into Limp home mode. I was 1400 miles from home though.
My inspections were Done in 2013 and 2018.

But they still found a way to Weasel out of repairing the truck. In the Fine Print is states that
the 5 year inspection need to be done within 60 Days of the "in Service Date" I missed by a
couple of months. The Dealer Wanted $1800 to replace the Valve Body and Selenoid Pack.
They also wanted around $1400 to replace the Water pump that was leaking again. Then
another $1200 for front brakes, Rotors and calipers.

I got online and picked up a Valve Body and Selenoid Pack for $400 Delivered. Locally sourced enough
ATF fluid. Total was less than $500 and two hours of my time. I have access to a lift at a makerspace
called Makeitlabs.com. Brakes and rotors coming up for replacement in November before State
inspection.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread