5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrome Side Steps

THFD334

Reaction score
Can't find a thread on it, so I apologize for starting a new one if there is one out there.

I've recently taken off the chrome wheel to wheel side steps of a 19 1500 crew cab. Was going to just leave them off but the kids can hardly get in the truck so.... I'm planning to paint them in a nice gloss black. Was wanting to know if anyone has any good information on what paint and primer to use, tips and tricks, or any other helpful info.
Next question, They have the black plastic caps on the ends of them. I'm wondering if I can cut them down and put the caps back in? I'd just like to cut them off to where they'll stop at the cab corners instead of going all the way to the rear wheels. Again, thanks for any info ya'll have, much appreciated!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To my knowledge those steps are stainless steel. Probably best bet is powder coating for adherence which would require removing the treads. Those are held in with push nuts I believe.

Don't have access now but from memory I think those end caps can be removed via nuts/bolts. Earlier model caps are available on ebay.

Some more info:

Have you thought about a different set more to your liking and listing the OEM for sale?
I have acquired running boards via the forum and craigslist, both myself and the sellers were happy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread