5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrome removal from bumpers

jake77444

Reaction score
I’m looking to get rid of the chrome bumpers on my Laramie. I wish I just got the Sport package of Longhorn/Limited with body colored bumpers but that’s besides the point now. I talked to my dealer about my disappointment and they offered to remove the chrome bumpers, remove the chrome, and paint them body colored at their cost. They said this has not been an option in the past but the now have a chemical process to remove the chrome and paint the bumpers. They said they haven’t had one peel yet but they can’t “guarantee” or warranty it. Is anyone aware of the process they are describing? Will this really work or should I just buy new paintable bumpers($$$$)?? They also mentioned if I do this I might want to look into PPF.

Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

Rob5589

Gotta say, I am shocked they are willing to do all that work on their dime, just because.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Also have the chrome Laramie bumpers and two body shops told me it can be done. The main problem is they will not warranty any of the work and to me that sadly gives them a “ free “ pass if they screw up. I would rather if possible get new bumpers and have those painted. Now in doing that you open up another set of concerns.

leeghoti

Reaction score
I’m looking to get rid of the chrome bumpers on my Laramie. I wish I just got the Sport package of Longhorn/Limited with body colored bumpers but that’s besides the point now. I talked to my dealer about my disappointment and they offered to remove the chrome bumpers, remove the chrome, and paint them body colored at their cost. They said this has not been an option in the past but the now have a chemical process to remove the chrome and paint the bumpers. They said they haven’t had one peel yet but they can’t “guarantee” or warranty it. Is anyone aware of the process they are describing? Will this really work or should I just buy new paintable bumpers($$$$)?? They also mentioned if I do this I might want to look into PPF.

Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated

Are you saying they're willing to do it for free or that they'll just charge you their cost with no markup?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jake77444

Reaction score
Are you saying they're willing to do it for free or that they'll just charge you their cost with no markup?

Their cost, definitely not free...looking at $350 per bumper

leeghoti

Reaction score
Their cost, definitely not free...looking at $350 per bumper

And what would you be looking at to buy paintable bumpers and have that done at a shop?
I think I would ask the dealership this is something they have done before and if so how it went. I don't know that I would want to be the guinea pig for their first time doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread