5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrome Delete Help...

Ssgarman

Reaction score
I’ve searched the forums (to the best of my very limited ability!) and can’t find what I’m looking for exactly. Can anyone provide a link if I’m missing it, or if you have experience, help? I’ve got a 2019 Limited black w/ color match bumpers, off road, etc. I just put an RSI smartcap on it, and like the cap, but didn’t like the chrome accents vs the matte of the topper. So, I got new wheels (Matte) and tires this week, and now am going to go about the chrome delete. Here’s the plan:

1) Debadge the RSI cap...not sure if it’s paint or what, but I’ll figure that out.
2) Delete the RAM and side chrome molding.
3) Replace the Ram emblem with an after market matte, as well as the ones on the hood.
4) Matte exhaust tips.
5) Matte fair lead for the winch, black thimble.

So, that leaves me with the following things to figure out:

1) Window trim
2) Door handles / tailgate handle
3) Grill and the chrome around headlights (if I pull all the side chrome it may look ok without messing with the grill - maybe.)
4) Mirrors

These are the questions I have - hopefully somebody has been through this and can help. Here are my current ideas:

1) Window trim: Rebel or after market replacement vs. vinyl wrap?
2) Door handles - no idea what to do there.
3) New insert for the grill, buy wth do you do with all that chrome around it and above the headlights?
4) Mirror caps vs. new mirrors vs. vinyl

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!

Attachments

• EF4FEDC6-719B-4324-8661-C7AACB339C2C.jpeg
    EF4FEDC6-719B-4324-8661-C7AACB339C2C.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 4A447D07-7BE1-4316-A571-4E359CA24821.jpeg
    4A447D07-7BE1-4316-A571-4E359CA24821.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 136
  • 3BE65AEE-E880-4DC8-A08B-A36AD1EC3540.jpeg
    3BE65AEE-E880-4DC8-A08B-A36AD1EC3540.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 134

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve searched the forums (to the best of my very limited ability!) and can’t find what I’m looking for exactly. Can anyone provide a link if I’m missing it, or if you have experience, help? I’ve got a 2019 Limited black w/ color match bumpers, off road, etc. I just put an RSI smartcap on it, and like the cap, but didn’t like the chrome accents vs the matte of the topper. So, I got new wheels (Matte) and tires this week, and now am going to go about the chrome delete. Here’s the plan:

1) Debadge the RSI cap...not sure if it’s paint or what, but I’ll figure that out.
3) Replace the Ram emblem with an after market matte, as well as the ones on the hood.
4) Matte exhaust tips.

1) Window trim
3) Grill and the chrome around headlights (if I pull all the side chrome it may look ok without messing with the grill - maybe.)
4) Mirrors

These are the questions I have - hopefully somebody has been through this and can help. Here are my current ideas:

3) New insert for the grill, buy wth do you do with all that chrome around it and above the headlights?

Did you truly try the search function on this forum? There is a TON of info on debadging and dechroming.

Ssgarman

Reaction score
Agreed, all kinds of things pop up. And I’ve read them all. Nothing gets to what I’m asking - best opinion on 4 things. I find all kinds of related information, with bits and pieces of data scattered throughout. No problems sifting through it, but most of it was about the clips, install etc. Not recommendations and part numbers. I was hoping someone could share their experience that is in the same situation as me, not a related situation where inferring ideas was my best solution.

But, I appreciate you making this a painful first experience on a forum. Not everyone has posted 3748 messages such as yourself - I can only assume many of which are “use the search function“, “are you sure you really used the search function”, “no really, did you”, etc. I will now logout, and not come back which I can only assume will please you. Have a great day!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Agreed, all kinds of things pop up. And I’ve read them all. Nothing gets to what I’m asking - best opinion on 4 things. I find all kinds of related information, with bits and pieces of data scattered throughout. No problems sifting through it, but most of it was about the clips, install etc. Not recommendations and part numbers. I was hoping someone could share their experience that is in the same situation as me, not a related situation where inferring ideas was my best solution.

But, I appreciate you making this a painful first experience on a forum. Not everyone has posted 3748 messages such as yourself - I can only assume many of which are “use the search function“, “are you sure you really used the search function”, “no really, did you”, etc. I will now logout, and not come back which I can only assume will please you. Have a great day!
OK...so you really are an @$$...welcome to the forum and you're off to a great start by berating a respected member trying to give you advice on search.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To the OP, welcome to the forum. For what it’s worth, if security guy only discussed new topics that have never been had here.. he wouldn’t have 3000+ posts either. So that comment was pretty hypocritical.

I appreciate the detailed write up and problem statement you ended up with.

Not having done any of those myself, I have seen a few people on here successfully wrap just about every piece you have left. The grill can be done with wrap as well, but you’re right that it may be more straight forward to just replace it. That grill seems to be a pretty major task to remove/replace, however. I’m guessing you can have most things wrapped for cheaper than removing the chrome and replacing every part. I’d definitely call some professionals to get some bids though.

Good luck!

Techna

Reaction score
I can tell you my experience with my Limited. I had the window trim, the grill surrounds, the mirror caps and the door handle inserts wrapped with black vinyl. The hood badges and the door rub strips were Plastidipped with and then had “glossifier“ applied over that. I removed the “Ram” badges from the doors and the “Limited” and 4X4 badges from the tailgate. The center grill with its “Ram” badge and the center Ram’s head badge on the tailgate were left alone because I wanted to leave just a little chrome on the truck.
If I had it to do over, I’d probably do it slightly differently. The grill surrounds I’d still do with vinyl, but the mirror caps and the door handles would be replaced with factory colored parts. In fact, I already have the paint matched mirror caps and will order the door handles soon. The reason I want to replace the door handles is because the vinyl just doesn’t work all that well when applied to the small chrome handle inserts and the lock/unlock buttons. The mirror caps look fine wrapped, but I’m replacing them because they‘re cheap and easy. The window trim I’m sort of back and forth on as far as wrap vs black replacements. I feel like the window trim looks better wrapped in gloss black vinyl than the flat black factory replacements that are on the night edition trucks do, but they have some slight blemishes due to the difficulty involved in wrapping them. They’re not peeling or wrinkled, but they’re not perfect either. I’ll leave them, but if they do start to delaminate some, I’ll replace them rather than having them done again.
My dipped hood badges and door rub strips have held up fine and look great. So far, I have no desire to change the badges to black ones, or to remove the strips. Black versions of the strips aren’t available and I’d rather not be without the slight door ding protection they provide.
Hope this helps.
Pictures can be found here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...e-deleted-mostly-badge-deleted-limited.21764/

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

4) Matte exhaust tips.

1) Window trim
4) Mirrors

Over on E-Bay, check out Avondale Ram/Dodge(https://www.avondaledodge.com/). They have a good selection of OEM replacement parts. That is the route I went, with body color mirror caps, and then got a rear badge and hood side emblems in matt-black and painted them to match body color. Also went with overlays on some of the chrome so it leaves just a touch on the edges. Just finished the hood badges and installed them today. I would say that the grill surround would most likely be easiest do do in a wrap though. Good luck on your project.

20210309_163725.jpg 20210311_175042[1].jpg 20210311_175106[1].jpg 20210311_175116[1].jpg 20210311_175131[1].jpg 20210311_175055[2].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread