5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chevrolet releases 2019 Silverado 1500 MPG, Payload and towing numbers

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-RST-026.jpg

Yesterday Chevrolet released some new information regarding the 2019 Silverado 1500. Production will begin in the 3rd quarter of this year for V8 Crew Cabs, with the double cab and other powertrains following in the 4th quarter. The 5.3 liter V8 with DFM and 8 Speed automatic is EPA rated at 17MPG city 23MPG highway and 19MPG combined. The 6.2 liter V8 with the 10 speed automatic is rated at 16MPG city 20MPG highway and 17MPG combined. EPA ratings for the other engine options have not yet been released.

• Crew cab Silverado models increase in payload up to 14 percent, or 340 pounds.
  • The 4.3L V-6 now offer a maximum of 8,000 pounds towing, up 400 pounds (regular cab, rear-wheel-drive models).
  • The 5.3L V-8 with Max Towing Package now offers a maximum of 11,600 pounds towing, up 400 pounds (double-cab, rear-wheel-drive models).
  • For 2019, the 6.2L V-8 is now exclusively offered with four-wheel drive. Equipped with the Max Towing Package, it now delivers a maximum of 12,200 pounds towing, up 500 pounds from a similarly equipped 2018 model (double-cab, four-wheel-drive models).
Screenshot (61).png Screenshot (62).png 2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-014.jpg

For 2019 Chevrolet and GMC will both offer the outgoing trucks in double cab configurations with limited options, respectively called the Silverado LD and Sierra Limited.

Screenshot (63).png Screenshot (64).png

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like you can still equip a Ram to do better, and remeber the regular cab Ram numbers haven't been released, as it isn't being built yet

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I try to keep an open mind when viewing competition, but being the guy who a few years ago was the only Ram guy at work...seeing more and more Rams each year...I can not make myself think this chevy looks good or offers me a performance substitute.

Listening to some members say about the 6.2 had me interested...but it really didn't spark my interest in this release.

Now if Ram releases the 6.4, well that 6.2 is even less interesting.

Come on Ram...you saw Dodge put it in the durango...get it in the Ram.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My mistake. I compared the 6.2 4x4 to a 5.7 4x2. It is a bit heftier...still not enough to sway me...bring the 6.4...end the discusions...Ok everyone makes great trucks...make mine a Ram

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll openly admit that I am not a fan of GM at all, infact after giving them one last chance and buying my daily which is a GM I am hoping to unload it today as in a short amount of time it has lived up to all the low expectations that every other GM I've ever owned has set. Ford I like although I think they have made quite a few missteps lately, GM I just don't like at all.

I am trying to keep an open mind with the 2019 Silverado/Sierra to compare them to the Rams fairly and not just give Ram a pass but by the numbers I don't see these trucks as being too impressive. Styling and etc is subjective and but I know where I stand on the design and interior side of things.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow is that front end hideous:)
Weirdly, as I see it more and more in a monochromatic look, I'm finding it less offensive. But it was far from an immediate, "Yes - that's good." I think the Ram will age better, as it's a pretty conservative design. The F-150 could go either way.

@Jared B - It doesn't bother me that you're a bit anti-GM. I own an old GMC right now, but I'm more or less neutral. But your comment in reference to the 6.2L vs. 6.4L V8s reminded me of my test drives...

On one of my 2019 Ram test drives (which happened immediately after driving a Denali), I pointed out to the FCA sales rep that the 6.2L was awesome. He was quick to respond, "Well, if you're talking about the 6.2L, you should be comparing it to the 6.4L!" I said "Uh, no, that's not offered in a 1/2-ton." And the regular 6.4L wouldn't change my mind, as it falls short of the output of the 6.2L.

In my opinion, the SRT 392 would be the appropriate response to the 6.2L. Will we see that motor in a Ram 1500 (non-Rebel)?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The 6.2 is an impressive engine, there's no denying that at all. Even being a bit anti GM that is something I've mentioned many times in these forums. My problem with GM is I have never owned one that hasn't had a catastrophic failure, engine, transmission etc, and friends experiences with them. That said some of my friends that have had issues are still die hard GM guys.

The GM vehicle I owned up until about 5 hours ago was headed for a transmission failure as well but luckily I got out of it in time.

That said I do try to keep an open mind, I have to if I want to compare these vehicles fairly which is something I do want to do. Competition makes everyone better and I'm not interested in giving any manufacturer a free pass.

Something else some of you might find interesting, Ram is the #2 truck in Canada behind the F150, Chevrolet only sells 1/3 as many Silverados as FCA sells Rams up here if I'm remembering last year's sales results correctly.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My problem with GM is I have never owned one that hasn't had a catastrophic failure, engine, transmission etc, and friends experiences with them. That said some of my friends that have had issues are still die hard GM guys.
Wow, that's ironic...but only because GM has a reputation for building vehicles where everything EXCEPT the powertrain* may fall apart. *Specifically referring to V8 powertrains. Around here, if the vehicle came with a 5.7L (350) or any LS-based motor, it's a good bet that the motor is still running...even if it's not in the original vehicle ;)

For my part, I'm just hoping my 2019 Ram will be as reliable as my old GMC has been! The Ram is an upgrade in every possible way (except the 4-wheel steering I have now, which is pretty sweet). Reliability is just about the only wild card.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Haha yeah I'm pretty well aware of that reputation, I think the problem was that none of mine were V8 powered so the whole vehicle was falling apart.

I hope that the Ram you're waiting for gives you as satisfying of an owner experience as your GMC. And the quadrasteer trucks are cool. (y)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread